Harebrained Schemes - January 13th Launch

Depends on how much they want for it at release. And this again is also dependent on how big the game is.
If it has has much content as Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall together (or maybe SR+ half of Dragonfall) I gladly pay 20$, if release price is about 5$ higher than that.

But 20$ for another short campaign...well...might as well pass and get it at release, maybe even in a release sale.

I doubt this (or any consecutive Kickstarter from the same studio) will get as much attention/funding.

Kickstarter is based on fanciful dreams of what you want in a game without all the disappointments that naturally arise. The second time around, you may have some diehards still backing, but many people simply won't pay attention based on their prior tepid reception.

And yes, "WTF, they need Kickstarter again"? also plays into it.

I likely won't be backing.

I doubt this (or any consecutive Kickstarter from the same studio) will get as much attention/funding.

Kickstarter is based on fanciful dreams of what you want in a game without all the disappointments that naturally arise. The second time around, you may have some diehards still backing, but many people simply won't pay attention based on their prior tepid reception.

Torment: Tides of Numenera was the 2nd KS from inXile entertainment, and they got about 1.2 million more than they did for Wasteland 2.

Daniel.

Yeah, but that was a different franchise AND Wasteland 2 wasnt even released yet AND it was still during the "spring" phase of kickstarter.

But it was a consecutive Kickstarter from the same studio. :p

Daniel.

If I could, I would rescind my Torment pledge based on inXile's lackluster handling of the Wasteland II launch. Still, it's apples and oranges as Kordanor has stated: my previous comment was regarding human psychology of unrealized aspirations for a product you [partially] fund, leading to a lack of desire to fund further development. Wasteland 2 was not yet published so such dreams of fancy had yet to be dashed when the Torment Kickstarter happened. And it did so during the Kickstarter craze… which I would argue has died down significantly.

Yes It's called human stupidity and it never ceases to amaze me. I will continue to back any project I find interesting, and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

So they still have my pledge and haven't disappointed me yet. :)

Personally, it is also about seeing a studio grow, learn from its mistakes and past games. Each time putting out better and better games. Perfection doesn't exist (except for me). Sure that's not kickstarter specific, but you are a lot closer to the process.

I will certainly back this. Haven't backed their previous game or heck okayed them. But I like what I saw from them and haven't backed something since torment.

I will be backing this....I'm not sure the moronic reasoning that if one was successful why should they go back to kickstarter. What it does for them is take a lot of the ri9sk out of developing the game with many sales already done and confirmed. Anything they make afterwords is bonus. its a win for those backing and the company, I'm not sure why that is hard to see.

As long as I like the game concept, I don't have a problem backing an indie studio that has already had a successful Kickstarter.

Can't see how this could be true in the strictest sense. If Larian kickstarted an Original Sin sequel they would easily double their pledges, probably triple it. The problem is they most likely are not going to use kickstarter, so in a way I guess you are correct :)

I'm not sure about this Shadowrun 3, it could go higher, it could go lower. I guess we will see in a couple of days time. I will be backing it this time despite not backing the original, but I did purchase them both - so I guess there are going to be some new backers to replace the ones that drop off.

I'll back them again just due to the fact that we need more non-fantasy RPGs.

However, there is no way I am going to give the same high dollar pledge. This time I will be in for the minimal amount. Maybe grab an early bird special.

I'll back again and probably for a little more. I'm probably alone on this but I was kind of hoping that they would use Larians engine for their rpg.

Understandable why they wouldn't given the development time they would need to put into it ~ to get all the systems we have now. wistful sigh But they would gain so much from Larians engine, not to mention the layers of interactivity it has. Oh well I can dream.

Sure back from me, I liked all two games so far.
But I will likely not pledge as much money as last time (the shirt is pretty cool).

It's not an insta-back for me. I played and enjoyed both Shadowrun Returns games (being a backer), but I've seen some very good and extensive mods for them, so a new game from the developer would have to offer something different, otherwise I'd rather play the free user created campaign mods.

Am I wrong that the first time they got funded they created a completely functioning game engine and editor (since improved), and that this time all they need to create is content? You'd think in that case the money would go A LOT farther.

I like to reward companies that do the consumer right. I consider the director cut as doing the consumer right. On top of that I actually found the games fun to play and not horribly expensive. Conclusion I should back them.

I think how well it does will depend a lot on the amount of media coverage the KS gets, more than anything. The games were actually received pretty well. SRR has a 76 on Metacritic, DF: DC has an 87 and most of the user reviews there and elsewhere seem to be in agreement with that. Moreover, one of the biggest criticisms of SRR was the save system, which was eventually rectified with a patch. But all the people who liked their games certainly aren't going to back if they don't know about it. If all the sites that gave DF positive reviews think this KS is newsworthy, it could do pretty well. They deserve to break Torment's record, and while that probably won't happen I hope they are able to get enough to sustain and even expand their company to continue making Shadowrun games and perhaps even other RPGs for years to come.

Aside from the fact that I really love Dragonfall, the other thing I really love about HBS is that they seem to be striving to constantly improve. They have been humble enough to admit that their games aren't perfect and actually take players constructive criticism into consideration. Even when people have been a bit unreasonable with their expectations or downright nasty, it seems like they're looking for what they can do better, rather than just being defensive / dismissive. Compare that to several of the other developers who have recently released KS games and then actually blamed people for being too harsh in reviews, and "costing them the sales they need" to actually finish their game.

There have certainly been a few bumps in the road. "Dead Man's Switch" was fairly short and too linear (although it also had a lot less filler content than many longer RPGs). There was the limited save system and their initial deal with M$ that would've had any future SR games be Steam exclusives. But HBS learned from their mistakes and fixed the problems. They even did the Director's Cut with Dragonfall turning it into a standalone and giving it to everyone who had the expansion for free.

So yeah, I'm going to back the drek out of their next game. I expect they'll probably have some pretty interesting stretch goals as well.

So today's thze day. Let's see! :)

Back
Top Bottom