Gog.com and "fair price"

lostforever

SasqWatch
As far as I understand, gog.com supposed to have "fair price" or what not.

However their Ukraine version of their site have huge discounts even factoring in UK tax and exchange rates. For example,

Witcher 3 at UK - £41.49. You get £4.80 store credit as fair price. So W3 at UK site is £36.69.
Witcher 3 at Ukraine - $15.79 which is £10.58.

So the price difference between UK and Ukraine is £26.11! No amount of Uk tax will explain the difference.

So my question, what is their "fair Price" thing is supposed to mean please?

Well to be fair the Ukraine economy is beyond repair right now, but I get what your saying. Anyway It seems the site tries to sell games at market value in each country.

Update: Anyway try asking GOG they usually answer any questions.:)

Last edited:
Depends on what fair price means. It might mean price that locals can afford to pay.

How many people outside Ukraine would move to Ukraine in order to benefit from the awesome cut and how many people within Ukraine would move to UK in order to bear the gruesome overpricing?

That states who gets the fair offer in this deal.

Depends on what fair price means. It might mean price that locals can afford to pay.

Thats not what it means. They say on their website they charge "fair" price so that you don't get screwed over due to currency. In one example they used was 1$ != 1£ etc.

Also see the article couch linked above, it clearly explains the issue...

Also I'm curious if you have any affiliation with this UK website lostforever. As the writer clearly has a problem with GOG offering Witcher 3 for 1/3 of the price in Ukraine.

Link - http://savygamer.co.uk/2015/04/16/gog-cd-projekt-embrace-regional-pricing-bollocks/

Ah never heard of them and thanks for the link. He explains situation very clearly.

I have no problems with Gog.com price discriminating based on regions but as the article say they were opposed region pricing before and made big big fuss about and now have changed their minds. They can't pull the publisher card in this case since gog.com and CDPR are the same people!

Here is gist of the issue from the article,
"Whether you think it is right or wrong for customers in richer or poorer countries to be charged different prices, GOG have made their stance on this matter known repeatedly. When it comes to advertising what makes them different from their competitors, when it comes down to courting custom from regions that have been treated poorly by many other entities in the games industry, GOG have taken great care to establish that they believe in one price for all customers, and not treating people differently purely because of their nationality. When it comes to actually delivering on this promise, when a lot of money is on the line, they have proven themselves to be unwilling or unable to actually deliver. This seems like hypocrisy to me. If they are dead set on embracing regional pricing discrimination, they should openly admit the change of policy, communicate to their customers why they ended up making this decision, and apologise for failing to follow through on promises they made in the past."

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. -Publius Syrus

If you start telling a someone what they can start selling something for then they won't sell it..at least not legally.

Is anyone twisting your arm to buy this in the Ukraine? Its not like its profiteering.

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. -Publius Syrus

If you start telling a someone what they can start selling something for then they won't sell it..at least not legally.

Is anyone twisting your arm to buy this in the Ukraine? Its not like its profiteering.

I have no problem with Gog.com price discriminating based on geographical locations. After all everybody else does it. However in the past they claimed that they don't do this and criticized other vendors for this behaviour. I am only curious when the policy has changed and why they decided it do now.

I also made post on their site and other people have respond saying that from February (odd timing with Witch 3 release?) this year they are also price discriminating based on geographical locations.

This video was posted by gog.com few years ago and now they look bit foolish....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=nRdfYwvGTos

Anyway I used to give preference to Gog.com over Steam due to "good guy" stance on few matters but it looks like they are no different now than anybody else...

Back
Top Bottom