Pagan and Christian Holidays: The Discussion (Child of the Happy Yule thread)

@ Harlequin

We are not them.

We are mostly an improvised bunch trying to rediscover the wheel amidst a world that has forgotten what we are and what we mean. At least us should respect the past, instead of turning it into another modern parody of what once was.

We will agree to disagree then :)

Shows how little you know me and how quickly you jump to conclusions. I dislike religion and I celebrate a pagan holiday? For the record I am a ordained Wiccan Reverend via a local Pagan Church who has legally handfasted (married) couples. But yes, I 'dislike' religion.

Let me help you so you stop grasping at straws, "Harlequin dislikes most major organized religions as he feels they cause more harm then good as history has shown."
If you do indeed dislike religions, how am I grasping at straws?

P. sure most people that worry about posting in "correct" english as much as you do wouldn't say "xtianism" without being hateful about it, and that means you most likely are hateful about religions. That and other things I've noticed about you strongly pointed me to that conclusion.

I didn't even know Wiccanism was an actual religion with churches today, always thought that it was like one of those satanism churches where people go there for sex parties and don't believe in satan or post in the internet about it. So sorry about that comment, I'm still a bit surprised by the fact you're a reverend.

But we are hypocrites either way. If we say, like, merry christmas we are being so, sure. But if we say happy yule we are being the same, because we are not truly celebrating yule, we are not feeling the true yule, uhm, thingie.
Yule is still the name the Scandifags use.
I didn't really get the feel their version of Christmas has ever been much about Christ so much as it's about good food (with some weird native stuff like smoked reindeer heart thrown in for good measure) for like a week when visiting some relatives.
The only thing really missing is the human sacrifice.
I have absolute confidence that our aforementioned Wiccan revivalist brethren will be happy to pick up the slack there, perhaps even 'inspiring' the Scandis to pick it up again with any luck.

@ Macumbeiro

You are way behind the times, KKKodex bro'. Satanism is not one but, at least, three different recognized religions with their own churches each, today.

@ What in the

I'm still a witch, good man. And if I were to believe a festival is about eating stuffies and drinking thingies I would be quite the failure at it. So, instead, I'm talking about the spirit of Yule, not the superficial elements of it. What it meant to celebrate Yule for the people who did, bred and raised by the cultures who did, worshiping the forces and stuffies they did. Honestly worshiping, in body and soul and mind. Honestly caring, in body and soul and mind. Honestly understanding what they meant, what they stood for, what they did symbolize. Not intellectually, but in their very and daily lives. We did lost that, and it's not coming back. That's all I meant.

Hm… how to appropriately phrase my question?

Are-you-a-wizard2.jpg

Hm… how to appropriately phrase my question?

Are-you-a-wizard2.jpg

That was my face, when I found other practitioners of Magick on the Codex on those infamous threads months ago.

If you do indeed dislike religions, how am I grasping at straws?

P. sure most people that worry about posting in "correct" english as much as you do wouldn't say "xtianism" without being hateful about it, and that means you most likely are hateful about religions. That and other things I've noticed about you strongly pointed me to that conclusion.

I didn't even know Wiccanism was an actual religion with churches today, always thought that it was like one of those satanism churches where people go there for sex parties and don't believe in satan or post in the internet about it. So sorry about that comment, I'm still a bit surprised by the fact you're a reverend.

There is so much ignorance in your post I do not even know where to start.

Suppose I will tackle the biggies;

1. 'xian' is a accepted abbr of 'christian' and in fact the church used it as a legit term for centuries. Using it has no disrespectful bearing at all.

2. You clearly have NO idea about the beliefs of Wicca or paganism in general. We do NOT believe in Satan. That is a xian invention to instill fear the thus control 'listen to me and do as I say or the devil will get you!' etc. Same basic tactic been used throughout history. If you worship the xian devil you are a branch of xian not a pagan/Wiccan. Wicca does NOT have a superhuman evil entity in our belief.

Lastly please educate yourself if you want to discuss this;

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcra.htm

Shouldn't the local moderators be sending those spaming posts back where they belong? We are trying to have serious and mature conversations here.

(gee, I could get to like this place.)

There is so much ignorance in your post I do not even know where to start.

Suppose I will tackle the biggies;

1. 'xian' is a accepted abbr of 'christian' and in fact the church used it as a legit term for centuries. Using it has no disrespectful bearing at all.

2. You clearly have NO idea about the beliefs of Wicca or paganism in general. We do NOT believe in Satan. That is a xian invention to instill fear the thus control 'listen to me and do as I say or the devil will get you!' etc. Same basic tactic been used throughout history. If you worship the xian devil you are a branch of xian not a pagan/Wiccan. Wicca does NOT have a superhuman evil entity in our belief.

Lastly please educate yourself if you want to discuss this;

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcra.htm
When did I say you guys are satanist or go make sex in church? The xians here don't even mention you guys, and as you can see I am part of a dying, unknown religion as well as you. When did I even imply I want to discuss your religion with you further? It's like you're using that to justify yourself in calling me a ignorant. Shame on you, brother.

Where is your source that "xian" is widely accepted? And why didn't you say why you said xtian instead of christian? It was out of spite, admit it.

Tell me how else I was ignorant, I have apologized already, but really do want to know.

@ Kz3r0

Go here and here for the quick version.

Gee, I feel like shit. Almost as I'm backstabbing you with this. I still love my Kz3r0. I really do. :'(

When did I say you guys are satanist or go make sex in church? The xians here don't even mention you guys, and as you can see I am part of a dying, unknown religion as well as you. When did I even imply I want to discuss your religion with you further? It's like you're using that to justify yourself in calling me a ignorant. Shame on you, brother.

Where is your source that "xian" is widely accepted? And why didn't you say why you said xtian instead of christian? It was out of spite, admit it.

Tell me how else I was ignorant, I have apologized already, but really do want to know.

If I misunderstood your post my apologizes. It seemed to me you were saying Satanism and Paganism were one in the same. If that is not what you meant then chalk it up to a simple misunderstanding.

My source for xian are history books and study. If you want to come over my house I will be happy to show you said books. Or you can google it and find out for yourself what I am saying is fact.

And no it was not out of spite it is out of something called I am a lazy typist and use abbr when I can. So if I type st rather then street I am being spiteful to all the streets in the world?

Shows how little you know me and how quickly you jump to conclusions. I dislike religion and I celebrate a pagan holiday? For the record I am a ordained Wiccan Reverend via a local Pagan Church who has legally handfasted (married) couples. But yes, I 'dislike' religion.

Let me help you so you stop grasping at straws, "Harlequin dislikes most major organized religions as he feels they cause more harm then good as history has shown."

Did you know I have a church down the street that actually sells ministerhood to people to make rent. That's not even counting that somehow over the years I've made a government official very confused because I'm apparently both a shinto monk and a devout satanist. Along with a whole host of other religious titles.

I'm registered to preach sermons about things I'd never even heard about before I realized that in LA rent/property taxes/mortgage is hard to make, and faith communities will do pretty much anything to make ends meet. About the only religion I am not a registered preacher of is Catholicism. I'm a wiccapaganshintobaptistlutherenluceferianpriestofthechurchofcullendudeist preacher apparently.

My source for xian are history books and study. If you want to come over my house I will be happy to show you said books. Or you can google it and find out for yourself what I am saying is fact.
Kind sir cite said books, thanks.

I am curious, show me some links. I don't think I read anyone say that, besides people spiteful about it or people who like to use the stupidest abbreviations.

And no it was not out of spite it is out of something called I am a lazy typist and use abbr when I can. So if I type st rather then street I am being spiteful to all the streets in the world?

THAT was a strawman, but I don't think I can dispute how much effort you put into writing things, so let's leave it at that.

Shouldn't the local moderators be sending those spaming posts back where they belong? We are trying to have serious and mature conversations here.

(gee, I could get to like this place.)

We have those too, sometimes. :( About magic, too. There was a great thread about how half-assed the implementation of magic in RPGs was a while back. I'd link, but...

The holiday has become the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and is fine for what it is. That it isn't perfectly historically accurate doesn't matter, because we are not to be bound to customs in and of themselves; it's the spirit that matters.

St. Paul in Col. 2:13-23 said:
13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

I rather be pretentious then be a hypocrite and cheerfully repeat a lie and pretend it is fact/truth. The man Jesus was not born on the 25th any more he rose from the dead on Easter

Now this is something I totally love hearing about. In related news, unbelievers cannot into symbolic dates.

"Harlequin dislikes most major organized religions as he feels they cause more harm then good as history has shown."

Ah, I bet you are also very upset about the crusades then.

Yup, typical case of an angry and pretentious anti-xian (first time I see anyone using the word 'xian' despite it being so 'widely accepted'), nothing to see here, move along.

Qwinn

Yup, typical case of an angry and pretentious anti-xian (first time I see anyone using the word 'xian' despite it being so 'widely accepted'), nothing to see here, move along.

While I can't see eye to eye with him and stuffies, that's actually true. If you take the greek spelling of Christ, XPICTOC, it becomes pretty obvious where it came that christians, and any other word starting with christ, was in the middle ages resumed as XPIAN, XPMAS, etc, given the XP thingie used to be a kind-of-holish symbol back then. However, in the late middle ages and early renaissance it was further shortened as XIAN, XMASS, etc, though both could be used indistinctly. And XPI was used as abbreviation for Christ.

This goes to the point in which XPIAN was an accepted, and not that weird, variance on the name christian back then.

Back
Top Bottom