What RPG released since 2013 that I shouldn't have skip?

Pillars of Eternity with White March part one and two.
D:OS
Thea: The Awakening (if you want to play an addictive lil indy game.)
The Witcher 3
They are already in my lists in spoiler tag but hesitating for Thea. Little indy games are definitely in my radar and Thea should be a fair risk with possibly a great reward (a lot of fun for me) or some fun time to discover an original blueprint.

Yeah, there were lots of party-based games in there, which was nice. But the mechanics weren't suited to building interesting characters IMO. So that was a wasted opportunity.
You are requesting a lot, CRPG can be a lot of thing and I doubt any did everything very well, and certainly not Xulima. Overall party building or character building lacked a bit of depth or diversity but I don't agree with your opinion that only Xulima did a good job on that among CRPG released since 2013.

I could be wrong because I never totally mastered its combats but for me on that aspect PoE is quote above the melee including in comparison with Xulima. But I didn't dig them both enough to make a confident comparison.

Don't bash me but DAI did a quite good job too on that aspect. Too bad the combats quality isn't on top plus eventually the tanking aspect is too much prominent. Moreover the 8 skills limit is a total non sense. Despite all those weak points, the party building is still offering a lot of diversity and finesses.

Dragonfall doesn't provide enough companions for a total diversity, it stills allow build companions and the system allows many different approaches. For me a solid game on that perspective.

I consider all 3 with a better party building than Xulima and played them all multiple time but not Xulima. But perhaps I haven't dig enough Xulima.

WL2 DC improved surprisingly the party building, it's a lot more fun when before it was more a railroad past the complex party creation.

Might&Magic X has in my opinion a quite good party building but I agree it could have support more classes. There's still many building choices and the party building is fun along a play.

But it's a difficult topic, it requires achieve a high knowledge of a game to evaluate fairly that aspect. For me M&M X is a perfect example with wrong comments on that aspect from people that didn't learn play the game out of a specific team design and believe the game is limited to this.

Welcome to RPGWatch.

Bound by Flame and Demonicon are in different bundles at BundleStars at the moment. BundleStars is a daughter company of the publisher Focus Interactive.

Good trick thanks for the hint, but no matter the price I still wonder about them. The bundle with Bound by Flame isn't appealing but the one with Demonicon is.

EDIT: I even bought them already one bundle, the price of this bundle with Demonicon is hard to believe, it's weird when a game win though some insane price, and I don't buy anymore very cheap games just for having them.

The question remain if I want play Demonicon or any in the bundle. Drakensang would have been a good reason to get it but I played it already.

EDIT2: Ha ha I already have Demonicon, those multiple digital accounts are a hassle to manage.

Last edited:
You are requesting a lot, CRPG can be a lot of thing and I doubt any did everything very well, and certainly not Xulima. Overall party building or character building lacked a bit of depth or diversity but I don't agree with your opinion that only Xulima did a good job on that among CRPG released since 2013.

I could be wrong because I never totally mastered its combats but for me on that aspect PoE is quote above the melee including in comparison with Xulima. But I didn't dig them both enough to make a confident comparison.

As far as character building goes I would put Xulima with its many skills and simulationist attributes over PoE with its neutered skill system and gamey attributes. Some say that the only attribute you need in Xulima is speed but I would compare that more to an exploit.

What Xulima had though was an old-school sensibility in its design and rewarding exploration. Plus turn-based combat.

I consider all 3 with a better party building than Xulima and played them all multiple time but not Xulima. But perhaps I haven't dig enough Xulima.

I don't know, I find Xulima's system flexible enough for different party setups. PoE on the other hand was advertised as being super flexible, but with the latest patches, it isn't anymore. Most abilities don't stack anymore so you can't have like 4 paladins stacking defensive auras. Dragonfall was flexible in its setups, but the combat was hardly worth experimenting with different parties.

WL2 DC improved surprisingly the party building, it's a lot more fun when before it was more a railroad past the complex party creation.

Yeah, but the skill system was lousy. There should have been a lot more synergies between attributes and skills. Sure you can have an all handgun party (on a low difficulty) or an all sniper party, but characters felt were lifeless and lacked depth.

Might&Magic X has in my opinion a quite good party building but I agree it could have support more classes. There's still many building choices and the party building is fun along a play.

But it's a difficult topic, it requires achieve a high knowledge of a game to evaluate fairly that aspect. For me M&M X is a perfect example with wrong comments on that aspect from people that didn't learn play the game out of a specific team design and believe the game is limited to this.

MMX had severe balancing problems, like all modern M&M games (think of sorcerers in MMVI or dragons in MMVIII). This limited the valid party compositions. Apart from that, it was a fun game.

I agree on some points but not on many points, our preferences are certainly quite different. I feel a difference is you seem apply a very high level of requirement and you tend be unsatisfied by games you play. At reverse I tend be satisfied by games I succeed play and tend focus on the positive.

To fans of any game I suggest a little exercise, list its weaknesses.

For M&M X balancing problem I don't know what you mean, I played a party with only the long range variation of classes and it was fine. Be more specific. MMX core problem for party building is not enough classes, that's clear and I won't argue about that.

You seem focused on synergy but it's not a miracle design solution in my opinion. A specific synergy formula makes any other combination weak that's why synergy tend create more poor class systems. For me a class and attribute system requires no synergy formula, it's to player to find the synergies with its tactics and party building.

For PoE the attributes problem is more it feels confusing and that attributes tend spread on attacks/defense types and this makes specialization harder. PoE numerous skills are more than enough to build a more complex and diversified system than in Xulima even without any attribute system. I'm not hyper fan of PoE, I found its writing very uneven until DLC, and exploration overall weak except in some dungeons. But I can't say Xulima writing is better nor for its exploration which is too much filled with combats; and tricks and other stuff are too much spread.

Avernum: Escape From The Pit? I just know that this is the last game I played and it's really good. The Android version is ace. :)

The Witcher 3, Fallout 4.

Our experts will steer you right. :)

I only have one thing to add. If you're looking for JRPG's to add to your collection, I honestly wouldn't make Agarest: Generations of War a huge priority. It's a neat little diversion but there's far, far better JRPG's. I'd say forget Agarest and get Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky instead. Trails in the Sky is SO much better.

I agree on some points but not on many points, our preferences are certainly quite different. I feel a difference is you seem apply a very high level of requirement and you tend be unsatisfied by games you play. At reverse I tend be satisfied by games I succeed play and tend focus on the positive.

To fans of any game I suggest a little exercise, list its weaknesses.

For M&M X balancing problem I don't know what you mean, I played a party with only the long range variation of classes and it was fine. Be more specific. MMX core problem for party building is not enough classes, that's clear and I won't argue about that.

You seem focused on synergy but it's not a miracle design solution in my opinion. A specific synergy formula makes any other combination weak that's why synergy tend create more poor class systems. For me a class and attribute system requires no synergy formula, it's to player to find the synergies with its tactics and party building.

For PoE the attributes problem is more it feels confusing and that attributes tend spread on attacks/defense types and this makes specialization harder. PoE numerous skills are more than enough to build a more complex and diversified system than in Xulima even without any attribute system. I'm not hyper fan of PoE, I found its writing very uneven until DLC, and exploration overall weak except in some dungeons. But I can't say Xulima writing is better nor for its exploration which is too much filled with combats; and tricks and other stuff are too much spread.

With 12 classes, I actually think Might and Magic X is pretty good. It's the most of any in the series. I would have really liked another class with access to darkness, though. I thought it fit in pretty well with the mercenary, but I wouldn't have complained about a 13th class either.

Forgot about Elminage Gothic. If you like "hardcore" Wizardry-style dungeon-crawlers, this one is really good.

So about those listed in the thread, a note for myself:

Already Had:
Demonicon, Lords of Xulima, Wasteland 2, Mars War Logs, Pillars of Eternity, Might and Magic X, D:OS, The Witcher 3, Shadow Run full series, Expeditions:Conquistidor, Avernum: Escape From The Pit.

I was already sure to get them:
Balrum, Underrail (already picked it, I consider it as one of the best of last years despite many flaws), Age of Decadence (but not anymore), Far Cry 4 (but not anymore), Fallout 4 (for now a heavy disappointment because I can't get in the mood yet, and I enjoyed FO3), Grim Dawn

Added to list of those I'll get:
Risen 3 Titan Lords (was a reject), Thea: The Awakening, The Quest (already picked it and before it was a reject), Bound By Flame (was a reject), Agarest: Generations of War (picked it with a sale), Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky instead (was a reject)

To investigate again:
Age of Decadence, Elminage Gothic (not against the style, but it looks too much like grinding and a too weak gameplay density, that is few puzzling/tricks spread, few special events, few of anything spread through grinding and repetitive combats)

Rejects:
Dark Souls 3 (too hard for me, age hurt hard my ability to play action games), South Park Stick of Truth (not fan of series, not convinced it doesn't require be one to enjoy), Dragon's Dogma (no grinding for me), Far Cry 4 (reconsidered the option to get it because I never finished FC3 despite I enjoyed it), Watch Dogs, Legends of Eisenwald (each time I check it I feel I won't like it)

This thread really influenced me for 5 games, The Quest, Risen 3 Titan Lords, Bound By Flame, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Elminage Gothic. I doubt I'll like any of them, but it's cool now I'm positive about trying them or reconsider if I'll try them or not. :)

Elminage Gothic (not against the style, but it looks too much like grinding and a too weak gameplay density, that is few puzzling/tricks spread, few special events, few of anything spread through grinding and repetitive combats)

This is not true at all. :)

Plenty of puzzling tricks spread throughout each dungeon. Trust me, there's enough tricks and traps to keep every dungeon interesting and then some. All the dungeons are unique.

Grinding? Not really. You can, and I recommend doing about an hour or 2 when you reach Igdra Underground Church and find a great spot to fight Greater Demons. However, I only suggest grinding your Mage to get the Diomente spell (teleport), which will be necessary in future dungeons such as Hastrana Wind Cave.

Special events? Plenty. You will find unique story evens in each dungeon, special boss monsters, points of interest, things to mine/collect, etc.

Combat is not repetitive. Almost every encounter can be a life or death challenge and you will have to carefully balance your resources, including spell management, to make it through an entire dungeon. Floors do respawn upon enter/exit, but this adds to the challenge by design.

I don't find the game any more repetitive than any other dungeon crawler. Each combat is fun, strategic, challenging, and can go wrong with the roll a die. :)

Far Cry 4 is a really fun open-world shooter, and totally worth it if you find it on a really cheap sale. I don't know that I'd pay full price for it though. :-/

Far Cry 4 is a really fun open-world shooter, and totally worth it if you find it on a really cheap sale. I don't know that I'd pay full price for it though. :-/
Yes Far Cry 4 was fun game especially the hidden true ending in the first thirty minutes. I wont spoil it but just wait at the table in the prologue as asked by King Min.

Yes Far Cry 4 was fun game especially the hidden true ending in the first thirty minutes. I wont spoil it but just wait at the table in the prologue as asked by King Min.

Whoa! I didn't know that was a thing. I'll stay next time. o.o;

This is not true at all. :)

Plenty of puzzling tricks spread throughout each dungeon. Trust me, there's enough tricks and traps to keep every dungeon interesting and then some. All the dungeons are unique.

Grinding? Not really. You can, and I recommend doing about an hour or 2 when you reach Igdra Underground Church and find a great spot to fight Greater Demons. However, I only suggest grinding your Mage to get the Diomente spell (teleport), which will be necessary in future dungeons such as Hastrana Wind Cave.

Special events? Plenty. You will find unique story evens in each dungeon, special boss monsters, points of interest, things to mine/collect, etc.

Combat is not repetitive. Almost every encounter can be a life or death challenge and you will have to carefully balance your resources, including spell management, to make it through an entire dungeon. Floors do respawn upon enter/exit, but this adds to the challenge by design.

I don't find the game any more repetitive than any other dungeon crawler. Each combat is fun, strategic, challenging, and can go wrong with the roll a die. :)
Ok thanks for the explanations, I'll take my chance and will try it.

Was my feeling and it's my feeling, the problem is just that I don't really want play it, I'd better finish FC3. Yes a cheap sale, but I bought too many games just for the cheap sale, and still have to play them. :)

Don't really understand the grinding comments re Dragon's Dogma. I've played it to about lvl 40 something and it's been fine - which according to Steam is 75hrs. I spose if you want to get to lvl 200 and complete all vocations then you could grind it... If you're OCD/choose to do so. From what I've read the MQ can be done by about lvl 50, the MQ finale is basically where I'm up to. It's a good looking, fun action rpg, I'd recommend it if that's something you'd like to play.

-kwm

Don't really understand the grinding comments re Dragon's Dogma. I've played it to about lvl 40 something and it's been fine - which according to Steam is 75hrs. I spose if you want to get to lvl 200 and complete all vocations then you could grind it… If you're OCD/choose to do so. From what I've read the MQ can be done by about lvl 50, the MQ finale is basically where I'm up to. It's a good looking, fun action rpg, I'd recommend it if that's something you'd like to play.

-kwm
Ok, so I'll investigate more. I hadn't quote you had most often companions. Simplified I bet, but still a plus for me.

Myself I enjoyed a lot Lord of The Ring War In The North, not at all the same blueprint, often very linear, but it's simplified companions and a lot about actions and actions and actions. That said despite I played it twice if I wasn't able to switch the character during a play I'm not sure I would have enjoy as much, for me it's been important for diversity.

What's sure is for me most JRPG involve what I consider grinding, but if just do the quests and related combats ensure enough level up, I agree it can't be grinding. Eventually there could be a confusion with too many combats, not enough diversified and it feels like grinding.

Back
Top Bottom