RPGWatch Feature - Risen Review

Reasonable, :thinking:, maybe.
Sensible, :thinking: maybe.
WISE :idea: No way at all.
When you make the same mistake more than ones, then you aren't exactly wise, at least as match as your avatar's picture implies.

You people there say that Risen is a good or great game?
ARE YOU BLIND OF LOVE (with P.B) OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS?:biggrin:
When there are in the market excellent games like Dragon Age or Witcher, a few wears before, technically premium and with excellent graphics, story, characters etc you will spent money and time in a cheap, unattractive, technically primitive bad copy of Gothic 1 or 2 ( at least they were fresh for their time be despite their problems - mostly technical).
That its NOT AS BUGY AS Gothic 1-2-3, make it by itself, an excellent game?O_O
ARE YOU NUTS? :wall:

Codex? No way. You go here:

éh, funny guy.

Personally, I enjoyed Risen more than The Witcher. Sure, The Witcher story is superior, but I just didnt like its gameplay. I got tired of the game somewhere in a marsh full of insta-kill worms. Tough fights too based around trying to figure out which potion to use. Risen chapters 1 & 2 are excellent, they really manage to bring alive the city and other important parts of the game. They are much better at it than Dragon Age. Beside, some people (lot of them, I would say) here do have completed The Witcher and DA... so playing these games instead arent really alternatives. And I found Risen graphics pretty good. It's a game that is certainly worth playing.

I got it for Xmas, and need to install it. But still working on my first playthrough of DA. Almost to landsmeet. I'll need a break from RPGs once done with DA....

éh, funny guy.

Personally, I enjoyed Risen more than The Witcher. Sure, The Witcher story is superior, but I just didnt like its gameplay. I got tired of the game somewhere in a marsh full of insta-kill worms. Tough fights too based around trying to figure out which potion to use. Risen chapters 1 & 2 are excellent, they really manage to bring alive the city and other important parts of the game. They are much better at it than Dragon Age. Beside, some people (lot of them, I would say) here do have completed The Witcher and DA… so playing these games instead arent really alternatives. And I found Risen graphics pretty good. It's a game that is certainly worth playing.
Saying that Risen is more enjoyable than Witcher isn't funny but tragic.:lol:
Only if you are blind and deaf the same time you can say something like this! Or maybe too simpleton to understand and master the superior game play of one of the best RPG of the last millennium.:cool:

I got it for Xmas, and need to install it. But still working on my first playthrough of DA. Almost to landsmeet. I'll need a break from RPGs once done with DA….

Stop playing that turd and try Risen already! Just kidding. Sort of ;)

Must finish…… ;)

It doesn't help that I have to try out every dialogue path….

FIX: that's a bit of an exaggeration... only the ones that are easy to quick reload.

Must finish…… ;)

It doesn't help that I have to try out every dialogue path….

FIX: that's a bit of an exaggeration… only the ones that are easy to quick reload.

You don't have to do that. Only a few options are available in every path. Many answers goes to the same direction.
If you use your sense and your imagination , you can avoid many unnecessary backwards.

I would certainly rate Risen above The Witcher. In fact, I'd rate every PB release above The Witcher - I simply enjoy such games more (yes, even G3, which I have completed a lot more times than TW).

Also, games like Gothic 2: NotR and Baldur's Gate 2 were released after 2000, and they both annihilate The Wticher on the "best RPG of this millenium" lists in my opinion. I'd easily give that title to BG2. Then again, BG2 is my all-time favourite RPG, so naturally it wins more or less all competitions from my point of view (with a few exceptions - best writing, PS:T - best exploration and in-game atmosphere, Gothic 2: NotR).

There was someone very, very much emotionally ... "entangled".

You don't have to do that. Only a few options are available in every path. Many answers goes to the same direction.
If you use your sense and your imagination , you can avoid many unnecessary backwards.

So you say that I don't use my sense? Thanks for the insult.

It turns out that many paths in dialogue that seem innocuous can lead to some significant differences in outcomes. Try it out sometimes...

I'd take Gothic 1&2 over The Witcher, but TW is far better than Gothic 3 or Risen imo.

Playing The Witcher was like being on a guided tour at the Magic Kingdom... with zombies. You go where they tell you and they strap you in real tight.

Then there is the opposite end of the spectrum in Two Worlds: You get a private showing of the Magic Kingdom and you can do whatever you want but all the rides are shut down and there is one dude selling hotdogs.

For Gothic 3 you get a normal day at the Magic Kingdom plus Epcot, but Epcot is still under construction so your feet get tired for no reason.

Finally there is Risen. You are back in the Magic Kingdom again but strangely is seems smaller. Its a sunny day, all the rides are running and there are people everywhere but they have removed all safety equipment and age restrictions so you will probably die. Feels like home.

Playing The Witcher was like being on a guided tour at the Magic Kingdom… with zombies. You go where they tell you and they strap you in real tight.

The Witcher was nothing like that at all to me. Sure it might feel linear if you're comparing it to a sandbox game like Elder Scrolls or, to a lesser extent, Gothic 3... but the overall quality of the experience is what matters most to me. The Witcher sucked me in more than Gothic 3 ever did, and I never felt let down or disappointed like I did so often in G3.

I shudder to think how good Gothic 3 could have been if it had the same production quality as The Witcher.

For Gothic 3 you get a normal day at the Magic Kingdom plus Epcot.

Sure.... if half the rides were broken. ;)

Risen was such a tragedy. It started off so well, then just completely fell apart. So frustrating. If I had known the second half of the game would be nothing but dungeon crawling I wouldn't have even bothered. "Open world" is a term that shouldn't be used at all in relation to Risen unless you're talking about the first chapter.

I also don't get why people keep calling its visuals beautiful. Heavily modded Oblivion, Fallout 3 and even friggin' Gothic 3 look better to me. Some of the faces in Risen were downright atrocious and straight outta 2002, Brogar being one shining example.

2009 was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as 2010. Right now I am working my way through Death Knights of Krynn after finishing Champions last week. Probably going to finish Mask of the betrayer after that, then maybe finish another playthrough of Risen once the patch comes out. Yes, 2010 is shaping up to be a very good year indeed.

I played the witcher in 2009 and I must say I was pretty dissapointed. I can't put my finger on it exactly but it just never really sucked me in. Perhaps it was the linear character progression or the too easy combat clickfest combat or horrific dice poker game (at least after 1.2 patch where the odds were against you by a significant margin). It did have it's good points though, I particularly liked how the Vincent Meis story evolved throughout the game.

Risen was a gem for me. I loved the dungeons and scope of the island, really looking forward how they can expand on in a sequel/expansion.

I also don't get why people keep calling its visuals beautiful. Heavily modded Oblivion, Fallout 3 and even friggin' Gothic 3 look better to me. Some of the faces in Risen were downright atrocious and straight outta 2002, Brogar being one shining example.

I thought the visuals in Risen were quite good for what they were. PB stated that the graphics were not their top priority.

Back
Top Bottom