Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Pricing and Release Dates

If scaling is what you want, then your monitor can already do that for you.

That is not a valid solution and you know it. This crap is going to be as unplayable as the game is now.

i think the real problem here is this game really didnt need to be "enhanced." something older would have been a better target in my opinion, like eye of the beholder, or perhaps a revival/port of the gold box games into the BG or Neverwinter Nights 2 engines. I WOULD pay HARD cash for a quality port of the Dragonlance series games.

At least this might pave the way for a more deserving enhanced version, such as Planescape Torment. I will likely buy this either way, $20 seems reasonable, but i really would like to see the 400 enhancements up front to feel like i'm getting my moneys worth, and not a MOD of widescreen mode that i could do myself for free.

The higher cost than the gog version is simple they have to make a profit to pay there workers. The remastering and new content cost money to make.

I figured the game would cost $15-20 back when it was announced. I would lower your expectations as there is only so much you can do on an outdated engine.

No, they aren't.

They said they were trying to find a scaling set up and they obviously didn't yet they are still charging $20 for this garbage. There's nothing enhanced here. They re-build the UI for tablets and added some worthless characters nobody wants and a side-story that doesn't mesh with the game at all. Ridiculous and pointless!

Fuck this cash grab.

That is fine - your opinion is stated, you are done. Now STFU and go away so people who are actually interested can have an intelligent discussion free of the all-too-typical RPG-fan 'never happy' syndrome ...

That is not a valid solution and you know it. This crap is going to be as unplayable as the game is now.

The game is far from unplayable now. I play it at 800x600 on my native 1920x1080 LCD. It looks fine and is definitely playable.

No, they aren't.

They said they were trying to find a scaling set up and they obviously didn't yet they are still charging $20 for this garbage. There's nothing enhanced here. They re-build the UI for tablets and added some worthless characters nobody wants and a side-story that doesn't mesh with the game at all. Ridiculous and pointless!

Fuck this cash grab.

If you look at the backgrounds you can see that they are significantly improved over the originals. They look smoother, more real. That's also at a pretty high resolution. GIven the zoom feature, there is no reason to think you couldn't play this at a lower resolution in full screen and have it look 10x better than the original.

They appear to have done a great job and I'm happy to pay them $17.99 for it.

GIven the zoom feature, there is no reason to think you couldn't play this at a lower resolution in full screen and have it look 10x better than the original.

The only thing that makes me nervous is that they've been somewhat vague about the zoom feature. They've confirmed that the iOS version will definitely have it, but they haven't really talked about that feature for the PC version.

I agree about the graphics though. The visuals in general, and particularly the backgrounds, look significantly improved over the original game. It's a definite purchase for me.

I'll pick it up when it goes on sale. I've waited 14 years to try this game, I can wait a little longer.

I bought BG1&2 just before the announcement and spent a lot of time trying to install the proper mods and patches and finally gave up, so I'm looking forward to the stability of the Enhanced Edition, but I just bought a lot of games during the Steam sale and I'm in no hurry.

If you want an easy way to install mods just get "Big World Setup". You can pretty easily get all of the mods you want installed or just go with the default selections in the setup.

If you want an easy way to install mods just get "Big World Setup". You can pretty easily get all of the mods you want installed or just go with the default selections in the setup.

I tried Big World Project, bgtutu, WeiDu, easytutu, and finally after spending so much time trying to make it work, I gave up on it. I'm just going to wait until the EE goes on sale.

WTF? Blackguard?? I thought Blackguard wasn't introduced in 2nd edition....

I tried Big World Project, bgtutu, WeiDu, easytutu, and finally after spending so much time trying to make it work, I gave up on it. I'm just going to wait until the EE goes on sale.

I feel your pain there was so many ways to break the game if one mod didn't install right. Hell some of them you had to tweak and install other crap just to work right.

Don't forget the not so detailed and unclear install guides or help.

WTF? Blackguard?? I thought Blackguard wasn't introduced in 2nd edition….

It was added as part of the enhanced game is my guess.

It was added as part of the enhanced game is my guess.

I bet you half of those unspecified 400 "improvements" will just piss me off. Haven't we been told for years how "streamlining" is an improvement? I think I'll wait to buy this until I hear more about it and confirm my beloved autopause options, specifically pause every turn, are intact, and I'll probably wait to see if it's distributed elsewhere — Steam or GOG would be nice — at a later time.

400 miscellaneous improvements - itemize them and i'll be interested.

I think most of the improvements are bug fixes, which, in my opinion, is pretty good. It did have a few nasty bugs, and some annoying as well.

Would be nice if they could improve the pathfinding, and/or a command to make the group move toghether all the time, since having to babysit the characters when going through an explored area becomes an annoying chore. Especially when they have different walk speeds.

I don't know about BG1 but I had no problems with mods for BG2. I'm still playing it with 8 mods installed.

Count me in the pretty unimpressed camp. I feel my skepticism was completely justified seeing now what this is all about. I like the current look of the games just fine. I'm in the minority here, but I see very little that's "enhanced" that would alter or raise my enjoyment of BG as it is. Modders have surely already done more interesting work!

Also, "The Black Pits" seems a bit uninspired. Haven't we done the Underdark to death a little? Smacks a little of Battle Squares (from IWD2) but with some semblance of plot.

Anyway, with that said, I'll quietly disappear into a void to let the more positive thinking fans out there talk about GUI's and resolutions and whatnot. :p

I only want to be able to play it on my iPad.
I've tried to play it with GemRB before, but as the user interaction is not changed really it was not that much fun, so I stopped using that.

I'm also feeling a bit underwhelmed. Granted it has been many years since I played BG but the screenshots don't look different from what I remember when playing at higher resolutions. I'm not really all that into the extra stuff they are trying to put in but I don't really mind either. The have to justify people buying the game again.
I'm pretty much left with the feeling that this is awesome for people wanting to play it on an iPad (or Android tablets) while the PC experience won't radically change from what is already available.

Actually this whole remake is sort of bad from a community point of view. There has not been a game released using the IE for nearly a decade. I think a lot of people would have hoped that the IE source code would have been open-sourced by now. Beamdog/Overhaul Games essentially shows rights owners that you still can squeese extra bucks out of tech more than a decade old. I don't have anything against this effort as they are releasing something and making sure it runs on current platforms. I'm more concerned with old games that can't run on modern operating systems simply because the owners don't think the effort is worthwile and won't open-source it for the community since there still is an odd change of making money from it.

Back
Top Bottom