Star Citizen - Multicrew Demo @ GC 2015

A few month ago I was real close to buying the $250 ship with the rover, but decided to wait just a bit longer to see where this was going. Glad I did. Not only am I at least a year behind in games I already own, let alone games due out the next 6 months, but this isn't looking quite as good as I thought. Makes me think it's going to be one of those games you will want to let flesh out for a year or two before you jump in.

I'm starting to wonder when and if this game will ever be released. One of the few kickstarters that has done nothing but disappoint me, at least so far. I really expected better.

Busy trailer, lots of functionality and things going on. Still, one notch above average. Too few colors. At least they fixed that ugly blue opaque sphere, I suggested to make it Elite-like showing ships and semi transparent. At least its not poking the players eye now.

I told them HOW to make shield hits awesome with videos, they couldn't do it: current shield hits are still lame. I would fire all particle FX guys and hire a new team, maybe new eyes new brains have a chance??

Couldn't find anything exceptional in this video. FPS seemed around 15.

It is surprising that Chris hired so many people and the particle effects are lame, laser cannon "blasts" are weak, you don't feel the power, firing lasers feels like holding popsicles charged with a duracell battery..

Animations are too one notch above average, although some zero gravity body movements look nice.

Navigational computer and instruments systems boot is weak. Why the hell do they have there that young Web-GUI designer guy who did nice work, he could help animating the darn boot sequence of the AEGIS system. Where the heck is the static and signal disturbance tear lines??

That female voice is lame repeating robotically.

Totally unimpressed.. Looks like developers burning through people's money fast and incapable to deliver dollars worth… :(

It's still in alpha and the animations aren't finished. They're working on them as we speak.
Yep, framerates and animations need work but they've got plenty of time to work on them. Looks like great fun to me!

I think we're going to need an RPG-Watch private server. ;)

How anyone can think that looks anything but awesome is beyond me...

I KS this...you need a beefy machine to get good performance right now, but these graphics are very possible as it looks a lot like this in the dogfighting module, and not even at full graphics...

This is the coolest thing I have seen for the game so far hands down...

Gotta say, that looks pretty cool.

Busy trailer, lots of functionality and things going on. Still, one notch above average. Too few colors. At least they fixed that ugly blue opaque sphere, I suggested to make it Elite-like showing ships and semi transparent. At least its not poking the players eye now.

I told them HOW to make shield hits awesome with videos, they couldn't do it: current shield hits are still lame. I would fire all particle FX guys and hire a new team, maybe new eyes new brains have a chance??

Couldn't find anything exceptional in this video. FPS seemed around 15.

It is surprising that Chris hired so many people and the particle effects are lame, laser cannon "blasts" are weak, you don't feel the power, firing lasers feels like holding popsicles charged with a duracell battery..

Animations are too one notch above average, although some zero gravity body movements look nice.

Navigational computer and instruments systems boot is weak. Why the hell do they have there that young Web-GUI designer guy who did nice work, he could help animating the darn boot sequence of the AEGIS system. Where the heck is the static and signal disturbance tear lines??

That female voice is lame repeating robotically.

Totally unimpressed.. Looks like developers burning through people's money fast and incapable to deliver dollars worth… :(

=================

Sounds like you're quite a game writing expert. Maybe you should apply for a lead position, huh?

Looks pretty good, but is it me or does the game have choppy framerate? Seems like it stutters when not flying.
That is because the demo was made on a computer with one Titan, for smooth gameplay you will need two.

The reason I think the video is impressive is because of what's happening in it.

We have multiple players seamlessly transitioning from the inside of ships, complete with local physics and gravity, to space - which has a completely different physics layer.

To see this kind of thing actually working in an obviously non-scripted way is just amazing to me.

I'm guessing some people here aren't aware of the technical challenge of integrating those two in a relatively fluid manner.

It's features like this that will enable true emergent and unpredictable gameplay - and that's completely separate from the ridiculous amount of content they're going for.

As for polish and animations that are a bit out of sync due to unfinished prediction netcode and rough backend technology, the game is - at the very least - still a year from release. I don't think we'll see a release before 2017, personally, so I'm not worried about polish issues just yet.

If you doubt the fidelity of the visuals, you can check out the later Arena Commander builds, as that's closer to a polished state. Still very far from finished, but it should give you some idea of how the final game will look.

I know a lot of people are confused about the features the team is going to include, and I can only assume it's because they don't agree with or understand the vision of the game.

This isn't aiming to be a "pretty" Wing Commander or Freelancer. This is just about the only game that's bold enough to actually aim for true evolution, if not revolution of a genre.

Even if they fail miserably, I consider it worthy of attention, respect and support.

But that's me.

How anyone can think that looks anything but awesome is beyond me…

I KS this…you need a beefy machine to get good performance right now, but these graphics are very possible as it looks a lot like this in the dogfighting module, and not even at full graphics…

This is the coolest thing I have seen for the game so far hands down…

I know, right? I thought all of that looked rather sweet. Looks pretty enough for me, that's for sure.

I didn't KS this (because it seems like quite an investment), but I'll be eagerly awaiting reviews on the SP campaign. If they're positive, I will probably grab it.

They also had a new and more complete Social Module demonstration at GC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc4oDwwD0oY

Still without the NPC/dialogue system, so this is essentially a demonstration of the fidelity of the environments - and what kind of activities you can expect at an average landing site.

The dogfighting arena was quite awesome when you are out in a asteroid field with these giant laser things blasting by you….It looks insane.

Star-Citizen-PAX-East-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom