Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Fade & Breach

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bioware has two new updates on the website for Dragon Age: Inquisition. The first update is about the area we all love to hate from Dragon Age called The Fade.

The study of the Fade is as old as humankind. For so long as men have dreamed, we have walked its twisting paths, sometimes catching a glimpse of the city at its heart. Always as close as our own thoughts, but impossibly separated from our world.

The Tevinter Imperium once spent vast fortunes of gold, lyrium, and human slaves in an effort to map the terrain of the Fade, an ultimately futile endeavor. Although portions of it belong to powerful spirits, all of the Fade is in constant flux. The Imperium succeeded in finding the disparate and ever-shifting realms of a dozen demon lords, as well as cataloging a few hundred types of spirits, before they were forced to abandon the project.

The relationship of dreamers to the Fade is complex. Even when entering the Fade through the use of lyrium, mortals are not able to control or affect it. The spirits who dwell there, however, can, and as the Chantry teaches us, the great flaw of the spirits is that they have neither imagination nor ambition. They create what they see through their sleeping visitors, building elaborate copies of our cities, people, and events, which, like the reflections in a mirror, ultimately lack context or life of their own. Even the most powerful demons merely plagiarize the worst thoughts and fears of mortals, and build their realms with no other ambition than to taste life.
The second update is about The Breach that plays a major part in the new game.

What does it mean to pierce the Veil, that which separates our world from the realm of dreams and demons? For the average man and woman, it is a frightening thought to consider just how fragile this separation actually is. The Veil is not a physical curtain, not a structure limited to a particular place—it is everywhere. It is in their home, in the streets where they walk, in farmers' fields as well as remote mountain vales. At any moment it could be torn to shreds, allowing demons and other horrors to flood into our world like water through a burst dam. Known lore tells us that small rifts can be sealed... but what about a large one? What if some catastrophic magical event created a rift so large and horrific, it weakened the integrity of the Veil as a whole? Such a "breach" would threaten our entire world, turning concerns about occasional demonic intrusion into a charming anecdote compared to the monsters we would then face. If there is anything to be done, any reason we should look at magic with fear, it is for that possibility more than any other.
More information.

These are interesting concepts drenched in arbitrary fantasy history. Why not write to the concept and give the proper weight to The Imperium, Chantry, and demonic intrusions to fake people? The world is for the player, and fake history and institutions are the props.

I know there are people who speak Kilngon and know more about Middle Earth history than is known about human history, but cmon, this is not sane behavior. Please don't write games for insane people.

And behold the trolls pop up in great force as foretold by the troll bible. I love the weekends on this site as it never changes.

I can't wait for the next posts so don't disappoint me guys.;)

Troll, are you kidding me? Oh you mean someone criticized Bioware.

RPGs in general have this wrong-headed focus. It happens elsewhere as things evolve. First there was J.R.R. Tolkien, with his long-winded fantasy history full epics. Then there came G.R.R. Martin, and he put a greater focus on people and people's fantasies. Then came Game of Thrones, which threw 50 minute chapters as seen by Davos out the window, and focused solely on what titillates 10 times as many viewers as readers of the series.

Don't worry it's okay because posts like yours are always good for a few laughs. So please do continue as I love reading them every day from various posters.:rolleyes:

I'm done here anyway as I realize it's just not worth it.:movingon:

Do you care to add some substance to what is so laughable about my argument and criticism? I wouldn't laugh, but I would be surprised.

These are interesting concepts drenched in arbitrary fantasy history. Why not write to the concept and give the proper weight to The Imperium, Chantry, and demonic intrusions to fake people? The world is for the player, and fake history and institutions are the props.

I know there are people who speak Kilngon and know more about Middle Earth history than is known about human history, but cmon, this is not sane behavior. Please don't write games for insane people.

Froim the point of view of an author - me - this sounds rather like an insult.

I do love to develop my own worlds in my stories, although there is not more lore in them, actually. But that's part of the building process.

And you basically write that I should stop writing because it would be for insane people ?

How did you get to that point of belief ? To condemn ALL writers (and you will SURELY say "not all !") that they are writing for insane people ?

What purpose has novel writing AT ALL, then ?

Accortding to your point of view - as far as I understood it - there shall be only 1 kind of books : Fact books. Science books. Because science does not make insane.

And now you will feel as if I had twisted your words. And I did so. Because I wanted to show how twisted paths of thinking can be.

And behold the trolls pop up in great force as foretold by the troll bible.
Somebody called? :D

But no, I'm not gonna comment much really.
Bioware can pick let's say a dozen of DA:O fans and ask them what they think about stuff in DA:I. Since they obviously don't really read nor care about things people post all over internet.

Bioware probably use the worst examples of Internet nerd-rage to support their delusion that you can work under EA and not have a corrupt creative process.

Do we really need to list the amount of strong franchises they've "acquired" and utterly destroyed or made into soulless money machines?

Bioware is immune to that, though, right? I mean: DA2, ME3? Suuuuuure, they are :)

Back
Top Bottom