A list of possible Roleplaying Games in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I could probably clean the post from games we just know wont pop up this year.

I'm not sure why you would mention Fallout 3 when that game is much further than a year away from being released.

Right, my mistake. I've got carried away.

What do you guys think about Hard to be a God? It's seems ok to me. It's a little strange that there's basically no info about the game, and it's going to come out soon. Might be worth playing...

I will probably clean up the list of RPG's that have been released already at least, but I would like to keep games beyond 2007 on the list just for personal reference.

There's loads of stuff coming up! Cool, I was starting to feel a bit silly for buying a really expensive computer so that I could enjoy Gothic 3 then giving it up half way through and ending up playing the slightly less power-hungry geneforge 4 that would probably run fine on an abacus.

Added Geneforge 4, Loonyland II, Mask of the Betrayer and Kings Bounty to the list. Also cleaned out the already released games.

Of the yet unreleased games on your list, I might possibly get Grotesque and JA3.

Im following the progress of the Alien RPG, Dragon Age, Grotesque, Mask of the Betrayer, Not the time for Dragons, Jagged Alliance 3, Bioshock, Divine Divinity 2, Fallout 3, Hellgate: London, The Precursors and Witcher. I havnt spent much time checking up the rest. Out of them, I am sceptical over Hellgate: London.

One great "RPG" I recently discovered, which is also covered on this site, is Overlord.

It's not a vanilla rpg, but it still has some RPG features.
The game is absolutely hilarious. You're character is the Overlord, a Sauron-like bad guy, and you let your minions do all the work for you.
Those little guys are amazing and really funny.

Check it out: http://www.codemasters.nl/overlord/index.php

It was made by Triumph Studios, the makers of the Age of Wonders series.

If you check out this site's news, you can find more articles on it.

Overlord is pretty fun.
You basically capture the souls of those slain, and those souls are used to summon your minions from the netherworld. Fire creatures give you red souls, which you can use to summon "Reds" or fire minions, and so on and so forth with blue, green, brown. So it basically comes down to getting souls while doing quests to unlock the next set of quests, or areas. Your "Dark Tower" where you reside can be upgraded with things you find and loot. Including one of two mistresses, Rose or Velvet.

Your main weapon, and the focus of the game is of course the aforementioned minions, little scamp-like demons who follow you around in a pack and will basically destroy anything or anyone that you command them to. Besides carrying out your will with direct force, you can also sacrifice them by having them jump into your forge while you are creating weapons or armor, and they will imbue your creations with different qualities. The more you toss in, the more powerful the effect. My fire mace is unbelievable.

I have read people complaining that the overlord himself is weak, but I find myself at the front of the battle most times with my minions, laying out enemies left and right!

I think it's a great game, it's the first in quite a while that I have went so far as to finish. Almost. Ive got a couple more key battles and I'm done, but I'll prolly play thru again.

Overlord was already in the list :\

Re: Legend Hand of God

German print mag PC Games has a review of Legend HoG in their latest issue which arrived at German newsstands yesterday. The game scored 69% and the reviewer basically called it another failed attempt to dethrone Diablo from what I managed to read. I didn't get to read the full article because the PCG issue didn't belong to me but to a workmate who flipped the page too quickly before I could read it all :) . I was looking over his shoulder and was "spying" on him and the mag as we were working nightshift until this morning. Unfortunately, he isn't much of an RPG fan at all and so I only caught a glimpse of the score and was only able to skim the article. Even though I wouldn't refer to PCG as the ultimate authority, it seems like we can not expect a masterpiece with Legend HoG but only an average or somewhat decent ARPG.

Don´t be so sure. The Gamestar review has been posted in the dtp forum. They gave it only 79%, but I have no idea why. They criticize virtually nothing. It´s like the first Diablo, it´s not buggy, no serious problems. The review read like 85%, apart from including an 800*600 LQ screenshot combined with a complaint about crappy textures. ;)
It´s quite possible all the mags are simply sick of fantasy RPGs (without MP).

It's my theory that such editors/testers are just overfed with good graphics, good games ... so much that they perceive a mediocre game just as dull because it's not showing something extraordinary.

It's like someone used to live ith Gold all around him or her - even Gold becomes dull after some time, then.

I need to update this list. Just one month left of 2007 though. I'll just have to get rid of my fever first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom