EA - Wants to "Regain the Trust" of PC Gamers

It's basically the same as console games. I am not pissed if a game releases on playstation. I am pissed if it's a playstation exclusive. Exclusiveness (for the sake of exclusiveness) is always bad.
But of course it doesn't affect me for now as long I am on the "winning side".

And you do realize that Steam started as -and still is to this day- an exclusive platform for Valve games, right? Valve are only selling their games at retail and on Steam.
EA/Origin is actually more open and less exclusive than Valve/Steam since you can still buy some EA games on Steam and you can also buy several EA games on uPlay for example. Good luck finding Valve games anywhere else than Steam.

There are two gaming publishers which promote 100% exclusiveness of their titles towards just one platform. They are Steam for Valve games and Battle.net for Blizzard games. Everyone else is selling their games on multiple platforms.

So accusations of keeping things exclusive is a very weak argument against EA/Origin.

HAHAAHAHAHHAHAAAHAHA Fu EA !

*fixed*
EA - Wants to "Regain the Cash" of PC Gamers

/thread

"We’re excited about the progress we’ve made but are always pushing ourselves to innovate on behalf of players," O'Reilly said of those efforts.

REALLY?!

They are obviously not even processing what they're about to say before making these blatant statements

And you do realize that Steam started as -and still is to this day- an exclusive platform for Valve games, right? Valve are only selling their games at retail and on Steam.
EA/Origin is actually more open and less exclusive than Valve/Steam since you can still buy some EA games on Steam and you can also buy several EA games on uPlay for example. Good luck finding Valve games anywhere else than Steam.

There are two gaming publishers which promote 100% exclusiveness of their titles towards just one platform. They are Steam for Valve games and Battle.net for Blizzard games. Everyone else is selling their games on multiple platforms.

So accusations of keeping things exclusive is a very weak argument against EA/Origin.

Everything before HL2 did not require steam. So what did valve release since that?
HL2 / CS / DOTA 2 / L4D/ L4D2 Which I consider all mp games, and mp games need a network framework to run on, so I don't see a problem with it. The only problematic game there would be Portal / Portal 2 I'd say (if I didn't forget any other titles).

And Everything from blizzard which was mostly designed as SP game is basically working without the Blizzard launcher. But all the newer games, basically everything since WoW in 2004 requires the Launcher which makes sense as the Core of these games is MP based.

And if I wanted to play Rift or ArcheAge I also wouldn't have a problem to install the trion launcher for that.

And if I wanted to play Rift or ArcheAge I also wouldn't have a problem to install the trion launcher for that.

If you want to play ArcheAge then you have bigger problems then just the launcher.

Step One: Build a Time Machine...

Everything before HL2 did not require steam.

Great. And every EA game before June 2011 did not require Origin while Valve introduced Steam all the way back in 2003 and has been requiring it for all of their games exclusively ever since. You can also find many EA classics on GOG DRM-free. Again, good luck finding a single digital copy of any Valve game anywhere other than Steam.

I can understand wanting to keep all your games in one place but accusing EA of Origin exclusivity and fanboyin' pro-Valve is about as hypocritical as it gets. It's actually not just hypocritical but it's ignoring the fact that EA is the more open and less exclusive party.

Sure, you can subjectively hate EA/Origin all you want, no problem, but there is objectively absolutely no reason to consider EA/Origin more restrictive than Steam by any stretch of the imagination. The exact opposite is the case.

I get you Moriendor.

If it helps, many of us dislike Steam on its own merits.
However.. of the available launcher spyware... Steam is the best option right now.

If another competitor actually upped their game and created a viable alternative it wouldn't be a bad thing.

In general I hate all forms of launcher/DRM/etc... I just hate Steam that little bit less because the actual product isn't terrible.

Direct buy or GOG are still my first choices by a long stretch.

The thing is, EA have actively destroyed what was the leading RPG dev for 15-20 years in Bioware

huh?

BioWare's 20th anniversary was last year (created in 1995). They were bought by EA in October 2007, a month before Mass Effect xbox only release. Their 15th anniversary game was Mass Effect 2.

I'm starting to have the impression that many people have forgotten that Mass Effect was BioWare third console-first game in a row (KoTOR and Jade Empire were 1st and 2nd) and that it was followed by a Sega funded Nintendo DS exclusive in 2008 (the Sonic game everyone pretend they didn't make because of how bad it is).

BioWare have been a console first developer since they started to work on KoTOR in 2000-2001. EA desire to "regain the trust…and money…of PC gamers" is a good thing from my point of view. That should mean less crappy PC ports. If they succeed is another story.

I'm with all those other stubborn SOBs who won't buy a game that is on Steam and another platform too, that is ridiculous. OK - I did it one time, because I had to do it for Far Cry 3, and so if Ubisoft puts out another game that I'm interested in, I will go through that process again, but I shouldn't have to...which is the main point...but that's it, I don't need two extra game platforms to go through. Who needs that hassle. Anyway, I looked at some of those lists of EA games, and not one do I find appealing or interesting, so, as long as they (EA) keep up that trend, of making games with zero appeal to me, then I guess I can't complain, because I'm not going to buy any of their games anyway...

(rabble rabble) They club baby seals! (rabble rabble)

You don't realize that this was once for real and that it did evole an ENORMOUS thing in the public ?

By the way - Steam, Origin, UPlay - they are all the same to me.
And in the end they are even like disc-based DRM to me, because they bind something.
Do Rings count, too ? :D

(rabble rabble) They club baby seals! (rabble rabble)

And they still do, but PETA and Greenpeace realized its a long cold trip and there are some good reasons why baby seals should be clubbed. So they gave up. Spotlight... over!

huh?

BioWare's 20th anniversary was last year (created in 1995). They were bought by EA in October 2007, a month before Mass Effect xbox only release. Their 15th anniversary game was Mass Effect 2.

I'm starting to have the impression that many people have forgotten that Mass Effect was BioWare third console-first game in a row (KoTOR and Jade Empire were 1st and 2nd) and that it was followed by a Sega funded Nintendo DS exclusive in 2008 (the Sonic game everyone pretend they didn't make because of how bad it is).

BioWare have been a console first developer since they started to work on KoTOR in 2000-2001. EA desire to "regain the trust…and money…of PC gamers" is a good thing from my point of view. That should mean less crappy PC ports. If they succeed is another story.

It was just a rough figure in terms of years, you get my point. That EA has diluted Biowares RPGs and stifled their quality/creativity with stupid brackets, I.e. "make RPGs appeal to COD fans who can't tie their laces".

It was just a rough figure in terms of years, you get my point. That EA has diluted Biowares RPGs and stifled their quality/creativity with stupid brackets, I.e. "make RPGs appeal to COD fans who can't tie their laces".
Yeah but I think azarhal's point is that BioWare has really only ever made 4 PC-centric games anyway: BG1, BG2, NWN1, and (arguably) DA:O. And NWN1's original campaign was, by pretty much all accounts, atrocious. They were a great PC RPG maker for only a few years, and that was 15 years ago.

But I'm guessing you are talking more about overall quality of games, and not platform issues (which is what the thread was about).

So...let's take Westwood instead. Would actually give Origin a chance, if they make a new Lands of Lore in the same vein Ubi did a Might and Magic ;)

Ironically, the post before this was about Shroud of the Avatar. As an old gamer EA become evil for me when it killed Ultima. I will be very happy when Steam + Indie developers deliver the coup de grace to EA. Poetic justice 20 years after.

I will be very happy when Steam + Indie developers deliver the coup de grace to EA. Poetic justice 20 years after.

That might take a little while ;) . According to EA's latest financial report they are only making 13% or 17% (GAAP vs. Non-GAAP respectively) of their revenue on the PC platform. So even if their PC business collapses outright then it would merely be like an annoying tickle but nothing truly hurtful.

Overall, PC gaming revenue is bigger than all consoles combined though, as of a few years ago...an ever-increasing % of the overall pie that EA is seeing very little of, given their "Balls-Deep in Consoles" philosophy that started up probably 15 years ago or so. Which is why we get pronouncements like the one in the subject line here.

Back
Top Bottom