IGN - The Big RPGs of 2012

Yuck! If I did't know better, I'd think RPGs suck. ;)

They do when all you have left is handheld games and mmo's. I have no backlog every game I buy lately I finish.

Persona 4 is amazing - a top tier JRPG. I sort of wish I had a vita to play the updated version.

Still waiting for that all important Persona 5 announcement, sigh...

Persona 4 is amazing - a top tier JRPG. I sort of wish I had a vita to play the updated version.

Still waiting for that all important Persona 5 announcement, sigh…

I played Persona 3 and 4, both excellent games.

Haven't played Persona 4, but I've played a number of the creator's other games, and they are generally very good. They probably aren't for everyone though, as the plot and story tends to be extremely abstract, and not standard fantasy by the most remote stretch of the imagination.

I think Nocturne was my favorite of the ones I've played.

I just loved the weird Twilight-Zone-y plots of the games. Very weird, and I loved how they tied in standard jRPG rules with a "life sim" and made your social networking and relationships with other characters a critical part of the game.

I thought most of the sexual innuendo in the game was on the subtle side until someone told me about the Mara persona. Never acquired that one. It's a warped game.

Just got to say, I'm a Baldur's Gate sort of guy, but I loved Persona 3 (and wish there was some way to play it and P4 on the computer). I avoid JRPGs because their plots are just a series of twists that simply up the weirdness, and I prefer something more open, but Persona was a pretty sweet game.

Well, let me join the love fest and say I too have always been enchanted by the Persona series, and I too would love to give the game a go on my computer. However, the Persona series was to my mind always considered a niche product and to have it listed as one of the big RPGs of 2012 says a lot about the state of upcoming RPGs for 2012 on both the console and the computer.

Is it really considered a JRPG? I always thought it looked more like a tournament style fighter with turn-based combat.

I'm proud to say that I've never played a Pokemon game.

Oh well, they are actually quite solid games - my kids were into them so I played a couple on the GameBoy. And between levels, tactics, turn-based strategy and so on they are certainly better games than many jRPGs you would likely be 'proud' to admit playing (like anything FF after #6)

On the flip side the world of Roguelikes is going pretty strong, though not so much on the commercial front as otherwise aside from Binding of Isaac's latest DLC and the Dredmor Expansion thing in another month or so.

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Tons of lively projects of late alongside behemoths like ADOM II slowly, but somewhat steadily, getting things shaped up. ADOM II should be especially on decent footing by the end of this year, if not well beforehand, at the current pace.

There's also this odd 3 month RPG dev competition that may well serve to springboard all manner of things in a few months from now:

http://www.64digits.com/users/index.php?userid=Toast&cmd=comments&id=272934

I also love the Persona games ... at least what I have played on PSP.

Somehow I doubt that. :)

Well, perhaps that would be due to bias against Pokemon rather than an objective look at the games and particularly the gameplay … ;) But of course, since I have played both and you have 'proudly avoided' Pokemon games, you wouldn't have a clue or the ability to pretend to have an objective opinion. :D

Not that it really matters either way ... I would rather play ArcaniA than either franchise ...

Well, perhaps that would be due to bias against Pokemon rather than an objective look at the games and particularly the gameplay … ;) But of course, since I have played both and you have 'proudly avoided' Pokemon games, you wouldn't have a clue or the ability to pretend to have an objective opinion. :D

I like how you keep using the word "objective" when it's anything but that.

Of course you have the right to state your opinion, but please stop acting like it's fact.

The Pokemon games are very much JRPGs and for JRPGs, they actually are pretty complex in their gameplay. They had all the JRPG flaws though, like the child protagonist, ridiculous and terrible writing, and the requisite in-jokes that do more to illustrate why JRPGs are bad games than be funny. Still, I did play one of the first ones (Red?) via emulator quite a bit back in the day. Not sure exactly why I did that, but it made sense at the time.

I played Pokemon Black, and another much earlier one. The mechanics are reasonably interesting and have the potential to be fairly deep, but the problem with the game being geared more towards children is that the difficulty is also extremely geared towards children. As a result, if your capable of more strategy then the average 10 year old, then you can just breeze through the fights and combat can become somewhat tedious.

The Pokemon games are very much JRPGs and for JRPGs, they actually are pretty complex in their gameplay. They had all the JRPG flaws though, like the child protagonist, ridiculous and terrible writing, and the requisite in-jokes that do more to illustrate why JRPGs are bad games than be funny. Still, I did play one of the first ones (Red?) via emulator quite a bit back in the day. Not sure exactly why I did that, but it made sense at the time.

I think these criticism against JRPGs goes way overboard.

In jokes are part of gaming since well, ever. This is no indication for a bad game. LucasArts games are chock full of those and do you consider MI or FoA bad games?

The child protagonist is nothing exclusive to JRPGs and by far not the rule there. These guys are mostly youths, I admit, but they are so in WRPGs. The writing is mostly bad because of incompetent American translators - not because of the actual japanese wording.

Back
Top Bottom