Massive Chalice - Should You Play This Game?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
...and the answer is simple: a resounding NO. Not with the track record of DF. The game is not fun now. Assuming they will finish it (which is a big IF), then I'll reconsider.

I played around with it for a couple of hours. My verdict would be decent, i did have some fun. I've played a lot worse but on the other hand it didn't hold my attention for long. I will give it another try when it's out of EA though, it was good enough to justify that.

Game mechanic looks interesting, but there is no sole RPG character to create and go adventuring so I'll pass..

I played around with it for a couple of hours. My verdict would be decent, i did have some fun. I've played a lot worse but on the other hand it didn't hold my attention for long. I will give it another try when it's out of EA though, it was good enough to justify that.

Yeah it seems like it might be worth a second look when it's finished. Of course I was pretty excited about the potential of Spacebase DF9 and they cancelled it the day after I bought it so I'm definitely not going to jump in early on this one.

I applaud the effort I suppose, but SRPGs are a tricky thing to make, especially those with grand strategy elements. As someone who recently is playing through Tactics Ogre on the PSP for a second time using the awesome World System which is effectively NG+ on acid, the video above is laughably bad in regard to combat/interface/menus/everything.

So I guess I'm just going to repeat that Tactics Ogre is the most amazing SRPG ever (XCOMs, Valkyrie Profile, and FFT as honorable mentions).

PS: Double Fine is great for clever, witty, ideas but horrible for detailed, careful, and thoughtful game design, sorry to say.

Back
Top Bottom