PC World - Top 10 Games of the Year

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Jhwisner sent us a link for PC World's annual Top 10 Games of the Year article.

Their stand outs include the following rpgs

#9 Dragon Age: Iquisition

#8 Dark Souls 2

#7 Legend of Grimrock 2

#3 Divinity Original Sin

#1 Wasteland 2

Honorable Mention: Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall, Elite Dangerous.
More information.

I am surprised by how much recognition DOS and W2 are getting. Flip their position and I am in....

I wonder how many folks who voted for Wasteland 2 actually finished the game? I loved it for about 20 hours. Then it was 'meh' for another 30. Then I stopped entirely.

Most who say it was the best game they'd played this year, or close to it, then qualify their statement by saying something like, "but I stopped playing before California" or "but it was so big, I never finished"… To me, that kind of says something. If the game were that good, you'd probably have finished it.

I have no problem with Original Sin being #1, but the Wasteland 2 love I just don't get.

I enjoyed Wasteland 2 thoroughly for about 20 hours, but I ended up leaving it behind. Not because it wasn't good, simply because I got "burned out" from gaming. I will go back and finish someday.

It did sort of touch that button in me that says "Overwhelming! One million things to do, where to start?!".

Somehow I got through Skyrim for 400 hours but a game like W2 makes me nervous to play it.

Wow, I am impressed with that list. Lords of Xulima should have been in one of those lists (Indie list?) but the actual top 10 was composed of good games. I haven't really read PC world for years, this list convinced me to change that behavior.

I have no problem with Original Sin being #1, but the Wasteland 2 love I just don't get.

I can really see where you're coming from, but for me, WL2 was really the game of the year (I did not vote though). Yeah, there were problems with polish and - like D:OS - there were definitively balancing issues. I also would have liked to see more connections between the different locations. But I really enjoyed the setting, story, and the, yeah, the fighting. I also found the graphics really nice. Original Sin was also great, but a bit too whimsical for my tastes and the story was quite convoluted. I am often forced to take breaks of a week or two because of work/family and I have to shamefully admit that I would not have been able to finish D:OS without heavy use of a walkthrough.

In the end, I have to say though that it was, for me personally, a great, great year for games and while WL did not sell as much as D:OS, I hope that it was enough to make a sequel that takes the solid foundations and improves on them. If inXile or Larian are going back to Kickstarter, I'll back them in a second.

I
In the end, I have to say though that it was, for me personally, a great, great year for games and while WL did not sell as much as D:OS, I hope that it was enough to make a sequel that takes the solid foundations and improves on them. If inXile or Larian are going back to Kickstarter, I'll back them in a second.

I think WL sold pretty well. It sold enough that Fargo recently talked about another game they are going to do. So, i think it did ok.

Lords of xulima definitely should be there, definately under the radar I guess.

Also, shadowrun dragonfall should have got on the list.

Neat list of games...and for once I haven't played all of them.

Once WL2 balance patch is out and I finish the game I am sure it will be mine GotY for 2015 :D (I don't expect T:ToN to be ready for 2015 seeing how InXile does things).

Lords of xulima definitely should be there, definately under the radar I guess.

Also, shadowrun dragonfall should have got on the list.

Neat list of games…and for once I haven't played all of them.

Shodowrun dragonfall was under their honorable mentions since it was released as an expansion before it became a stand alone game.

Of those mentioned above, including the two honorable mentions, I've played everything except Elite Dangerous and Dark Souls 2. My top-ten PC games list would look like:

1. Dragon Age: Inquisitions
2. Divinity: Original Sin
3. Wasteland 2
4. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (Director's Cut)
5. Shadow of Mordor
6. Ethan Carter
7. Diablo 3 (yes, Diablo 3)
8. Hearthstone
9. Kentucky Route Zero
10. The Wolf Among Us

I own Far Cry 4 but haven't fired it up yet. It might end up on the list at some point. When I look at this year, there's three adventure games on there, one strategy game, two action games, and four legitimate CRPGs. And I'm not including a slew of honorable mentions, like Banner Saga and Legend of Grimrock 2. Overall, it's been a "banner" year... excuse the pun. :)

A lot better list than 90% of the lists!

Since they all include DAI in the top 5, which has only been out for a couple of weeks and they couldn't have finished it. It always happens with these AAA "ea games", when they buy the release hype. It was out a week, when it started winning goty, complete BS. At least the editor, will help the community fix it.

Now if they could just mod "origin" out of the game, I might play it one day. ;)

I haven't even played, let alone completed ten games from 2014. My top 5 is
1. Divinity OS
2. Wasteland 2
3. Lords of Xulima
4. Legend of Grimrock 2
5. The Banner Saga

Now if they could just mod "origin" out of the game, I might play it one day. ;)
Origin has been modded out with a cracked launcher and it makes the game run much better. Unfortunately I can't share a link as it's forbidden on this site.

The sites members would also condemn me even though I paid $60 for the game. I should of waited for a X-Mas sale as they lowered the price to $30 on Origin.:)

Last edited:
A lot better list than 90% of the lists!

Since they all include DAI in the top 5, which has only been out for a couple of weeks and they couldn't have finished it. It always happens with these AAA "ea games", when they buy the release hype. It was out a week, when it started winning goty, complete BS. At least the editor, will help the community fix it.

A couple members of this site have beaten the game multiple times already…

On a lighter note, here's a list that's good for laughs. Not from a gaming or hardware site though and it's more a reflection of what the people working there like rather than anything else.

http://www.avclub.com/article/our-f...lMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:Week1:Default

Last edited:
A couple members of this site have beaten the game multiple times already…
I beat it three times already. Each play-through lasted over 60 hours. :wideeyed:

The catch is after the first time you know what you have to do, and can breeze through the game because it doesn't change despite using a different Inquisitor.

It's just different dialogue options and some new jobs on the map.

Also here is my top ten RPG games for 2014.

1. Divine Divinity: Original Sin
2. Wasteland 2
3. The Banner Saga
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition
5. Might & Magic X: Legacy
6. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Valkyria chronicles
Blackguards
Lords of Xulima
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1&2

Last edited:
My top 5 so far:
  1. DA:I
  2. Wasteland 2
  3. SR: Dragonfall
  4. Blackguards
  5. D:OS
DA:I wins by far though.

Wasteland 2 being numbr one is a far bigger travesty than DA:I being on that list, by now ppl should have realised that poor dialogue plus poor combat and a poor character development system makes a bad game.

Wasteland 2 being numbr one is a far bigger travesty than DA:I being on that list, by now ppl should have realised that poor dialogue plus poor combat and a poor character development system makes a bad game.

I'm going to bite...whats wrong with dragon age being on there?

Btw dragonfall is on sale on steam for 6.79

I picked up starpoint gemini 2 today as well.

Also, Xulima is on for 10, well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom