NAZI Symbolism

dteowner said:
The real world doesn't have time for deep philosophical contemplation as we're too busy doing.

Maybe if people were more willing to leave the doing for after the contemplating and the debating the world wouldn't be as screwed as it is.

KapitanUnterhosen said:
That's jb, JD, and likely was born with a penis.

I expect no less propriety and manners than I have shown you, so please refrain of involving me in your attempts at offensive and insulting humour.

Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
There's a whole lot more people running around in what I'm calling the real world than there are moving in the rare air of your ivory tower, and we're doing rather than talking. So perhaps we need to consider which situation is more appropriate for a "little reality" pejorative, eh?

There's a whole lot more people running around in what I'm calling the real world than there are moving in the rare air of your ivory tower, and we're doing rather than talking. So perhaps we need to consider which situation is more appropriate for a "little reality" pejorative, eh?

The entire point of forums is for discussion. People that don't participate in the discussion can focus on doing, but I would expect people to post here to be interested in discussing.

I think you're missing the context, rrj. I'm not looking to snuff out conversation by any stretch. My point is more about the application of knowledge in reality having greater value than discussion of knowledge in the vacuum of the ivory tower.

I think you're missing the context, rrj. I'm not looking to snuff out conversation by any stretch. My point is more about the application of knowledge in reality having greater value than discussion of knowledge in the vacuum of the ivory tower.

What application of which knowledge is pertinent to this topic on the internet forum devoted to computer games?

Last edited:

I find your ideas about "reality", "ivory tower", "doing" and "talking" to be fascinating. Please tell me more.

Maybe if people were more willing to leave the doing for after the contemplating and the debating the world wouldn't be as screwed as it is.

If only that was true. I can give you plenty of examples of screwy things which happened AFTER a lot of contemplation.

OH for fuck sakes. You guys want more debate? Fuck that. Just give him a pretty pony princess avatar and be done with it. Then you can debate till the cows come home.

That's what's so fucking wrong with everything now-a-days. No action, just a lot of blah blah blah cry cry cry and more blah blah blah when all that needs to be done is to change one little things.

This reminds whey I hate politics. All talky talky about the dumbest goddamn things imaginable. Bleh….this feels like politics now. I'm outta here. DTE you have fun with these guys. :)

Not to worry, my young rat. One way or another, the right thing will happen. We here at the Watch just like to convince folks to do the right thing of their own accord. We like to treat problems such as these as someone not understanding all the parameters of the situation rather than someone going out of their way to be an ass. Occasionally, that approach fails and the process takes a little longer, but the ownership likes to do it that way.

All the discussion after the first few posts is tangential. Still valuable, but tangential to the actual issue.

So, to summarize, Vii's logic for freedom of expression is very solid, but doesn't account for the Watch parameter of NSFW. JemyM's dissertations about psychology are quite possibly factually accurate, but (as usual) have no practical application outside his dorm room. Villian intentionally pushed the boundaries with the sole goal of pissing people off, and the boundaries will soon push back. I popped holes in all their balloons in my uniquely prickish manner. Did I miss anything? ;)

dteowner said:
So, to summarize, Vii's logic for freedom of expression is very solid, but doesn't account for the Watch parameter of NSFW.

As I said originally I'm not defending his right to bother you people or to do something that goes against the local rules, I'm just declaring that if the rules were to state, say, "No nazi symbolism allowed" his avatar would be perfectly legal. I.E: Please accuse him of something he actually did if you want to be angry with him.

I really don't know where the bit about freedom of expression came from, though. Maybe I'm just sleepy and forgot about something? If so, I'm truly sorry.

Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
Villain, you are right with some of the statements about how sometimes Codexers are treated here. I also noticed at one occasion your posts were dismissed because you are from Codex.
You did miss apparently that Watchers are treated by Codexers in a similar way, but let's just skip that.

You have used your avatar deliberately because you knew what the symbol meant and what the result would be.
You had your fun, now its time to change the bloody thing.

Not to worry, my young rat. One way or another, the right thing will happen. We here at the Watch just like to convince folks to do the right thing of their own accord. We like to treat problems such as these as someone not understanding all the parameters of the situation rather than someone going out of their way to be an ass. Occasionally, that approach fails and the process takes a little longer, but the ownership likes to do it that way.

You're nicer than I would have been. I still say give him a pretty pony princess.

I would like to point out one last thing to the people who think we are stifling creativity here. That asshat Konjad has an idiotic avatar, but it's not hate filled or hurtful. It's stupid and lame, but still no one will get into trouble with it. Did we get rid of it or ask him too? Nope. I would have, but the others here were nicer than I would have been and they were right.

That is all, have fun you guys. I'm going to do something actually useful and play one of these RPGs that we supposedly talk about here :p

To be blunt only those ignorant in history think those symbols came from the nazi party. Like a lot of the symbolism used by the Nazis the rune in question, the swastika, comes from LONG before Hitler. The earliest carved symbol ~10,000 BCE. Like the pentacle has been used in almost every historical culture and generally was a positive mark, again like the pentacle (until Hitler got a hold of it due to his fascination with pagan & occult things).

I think most people know that the Nazis didn't invent the swastika, doesn't change the fact that it's an offensive symbol today.

Well, since I'm provided with RPGWatch free of charge - I'm hardly in a position to decide what they should or shouldn't be censoring. That's their choice.

Personally, I see nothing offensive about Nazi symbolism. It's something very real that's part of our history. I don't think it helps to cover it up or to get offended by it.

But that's me. I don't really attribute a whole lot to symbols. Most people who identify themselves through symbols are confused, in my experience.

I don't care for symbols and what they are supposed to mean. I think Villain deliberately used this avatar to make a statement that he is treated unfairly by RPGWatchers and that we treat Codexians in general as inferior people (or something along those lines). I'm fine with someone making that statement, I don't care much, regardless if it is correct or not.

There are however plenty of people who are offended by the avatar. I can see their point as it is a clear reference to WW2 and the jews that suffered in that war, which is why he was requested to change it. Villain can make another avatar insulting RPGWatchers if he likes without using symbols like this, like Konjad did for example.

Back
Top Bottom