Dungeon Siege 3 - PC Demo On Steam

I believe it started out as a single player sequel but then turned into another co-op game instead. Seems Obsidian doesn't know what to develop nowadays.

Wow. This is one crappy piece of software.

I didnt expect much. Since i know Obsidian are new to action RPGs.
But this is simply horrible.

Dungeon Siege is not a great brand (although i loved the first one , i must admit)
But this just blows it out of the water.

And just a funny fact to notice is a map. Its so linear, its just a snaking path you follow. This was below standard even in 1991

Shame. For Obsidian.

They are good guys, and really do know how to make good RPG.
What they do not know is how to program and design a game. :O

Thanks for heads up guy. i am going to avoid it. I knew about the mechanics about the loot sharing and so that killed the multiplayer but if it isn't going to have much of a story then there is no point of playing it. i will keep my 50.00. Shame on you Obsidian!

It's not that Obsidian are bad...just so inconsistent. I wonder if it depends which specific Obsidian personnel work on particular titles?

Anyway in my book Obsidian don't really have a lot to live up to with this one - even if it is a blandfest it's not like that will be any different to the previous two DS titles. I'll probably pick it up once the price has dropped.

I wouldn't go by a demo to be representative of the final game since most demos are not and usually you find out the game is far different for better or worse.

Considering how bad the DA2 demo was, I'll still give the actual game a go. My hopes aren't too high, however.

guenthar said:
I wouldn't go by a demo to be representative of the final game since most demos are not and usually you find out the game is far different for better or worse.

Hmm…Arcania? DA2? I believe both were pretty representative…unfortunately.

I hate when people say that. Then what the hell is the point of a demo then? If they are so inept that they can't make a demo that is at least reasonably representative of the final product then they deserve to lose a sale.

If the demo is any indication the main problem is that the pacing is way way off for a linear A-RPG (and especially for a Dungeon Siege game). It needs about ten times more stuff to kill in about five times more area spacing out the abundence of cut-scenes and talky bits. It could also do with doubling or tripling the width of the areas, everything is forced down much too narrow a pipe.

There's just no space or time to even make a start to build up the zen slaying rhythm thats critical for Diablo-alike before you trip over an interruption, or hit barrel smashing mode.

And yes the controls are just plain weird on PC even for what's obviously as straight up console port (*right click* to move in a way that isn't really 'click to move', WASD with no mouselook or option to strafe instead of turn, spacebar acting like a shift key to bring up another set of powers, Whaaa..?) tho' they can be gotten used to.

I just finished the demo (I think?). And I have to say that this game (if demo is indeed representative of the whole game) is way below Obsidian's standard. The controls are horrible on pc (to say the least), targeting is -eh- what targeting? And the camera and camera controls are as bad as ever. Right-clicking to walk/run is OK, but the execution of it - not so well done.

I didn't like the fact that at least in the demo, the game forces you to auto-level when you gain a level (didn't check if this could be turned off, though). Also, as some has said, this is basically a game (at least so the demo suggests) where you follow a hallway disguised as paths disguised with trees or rocks.

And the enemies jumps at you, that's OK, since this is an action rpg. But since you're in these narrow pathways and hallways, you'll never get into the rhytm of timing your swings or in the flow of swings. In this case, I agree with the poster above me, SKapusniak.

The story - eh what story?

Legion and Legion blood? -eh what? And you need to find out who were behind the attack - not highly original, now, I find...

And I have the same problem with this ARPG, I have with them all, you can only save at certain savepoints. Or when you close the game. And the graphics? I'm no graphics whore, but these graphics, but perhaps more the art direction is again not up the usual standard, I think we've come to expect from Obsidian.

---

On another note, and way off topic, I just picked up Fallout: New Vegas for 150 DKK (30US dollars or 20 Euros) I have done so or your guys recommendations. Can't say I can recommend DS3 back, at least not based on the demo I played....

Obsidian should stay teamed up with Bethesda. It's the only place they've truly been successful.

Obsidian should stay teamed up with Bethesda. It's the only place they've truly been successful.

But hey !

What with Knights of Old Republic 2 , or Mask of Betrayer ?

They did good stuff with Bioware aswell :)

Most Obsidian games are buggy messes (KoTOR2, NWN2, Alpha Protocol, FO:NV) but I enjoy them despite the problems -- this one, not so much.

I played the demo for a bit and I'm not interested at all. I'll be passing on this one and I've bought every Obsidian game released.

Wow. This is one crappy piece of software.
Dungeon Siege is not a great brand (although i loved the first one , i must admit)
But this just blows it out of the water.

And just a funny fact to notice is a map. Its so linear, its just a snaking path you follow. This was below standard even in 1991

That's EXACTLY what the first one was.

Yes. Dungeon Siege 1 was like that, too.
Sad.

Well I tried it. The camera is set up so I can't see what's ahead of me. And turning the entire view with A D instead of strafing is retarded. And holding right mouse button to move forward is weird but you can use A. The graphics look pretty but I was hoping for a less linear DS type game, and everyone says it's worse than the first two. Add in those sucky controls and I'm out.

Well I can't really say I'm too disappointed because I never expected much from this game anyways. The other DS games were mediocre as crpgs, imo. I'm not sure why anyone would have had high expectations for DS3.

I guess having "Obsidian" on the box was enough to get a lot of people excited.

Played about 30 minutes of the fire chick, the controls were good with a 360 pad plugged in, so try that if you can (keyboard sounds terrible). Lots of dialogue with decent voice acting for everyone except my toon. Which is kinda funny in a bad way. All that aside, if you remember DS1 then you'll remember it was a straight path, just like this game seems like it will be. I do recall from one interview that the only non-linear part of this game is quest order heh.

:( Here's hoping it gets some last minute changes... I'd hate for Obsidian to turn into the next Troika... but it's quickly going that way.

...But, hey! Perhaps Tim Cain and Chris Avellone could end up in the same company if that happens :p

We already knew this was a strange marriage of concepts to begin with.

Reading these reviews of the demo isn't that surprising - it is only a Dungeon Siege game after all, I wasn't expecting much. I'm more disappointed for Obsidian than anything else if even the writing turns out to be rubbish. Also, If I were to play it, it'd only be for the multiplayer aspect.

To the gentleman who claimed some cynical nonsense about teaming up with Bethesda - that sir, is fairly narrow minded tripe. Perhaps try some Obsidian games from the Black Isle days to destroy that illusion. ;)

Back
Top Bottom