Icewind Dale: EE - Available Now

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Icewind Dale: EEis now available on Steam,GOG, Beamdog, and Google. If you haven't had chance to enter our contest you have one ay left to do so.

In the northernmost reaches of the Forgotten Realms lies the region of icy tundra known as Icewind Dale. Journey deep into the Spine of the World mountains, a harsh and unforgiving territory settled by only the hardiest folk. Encounter fearsome beasts that have learned the cunning and ferocity needed to survive among the snow-shrouded peaks. Confront an evil that schemes beneath the carven glaciers and mountainsides to wreak destruction upon the face of Faerûn. This is the world of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition.
More information.

Last edited:
I'm playing Baldur's Gate Reloaded, incidentally. I will try IWDEE sooner or later though.

Too bad that trailer shows nothing of what the EE offers. Also $20 is too rich for my blood, even though I want to play it. $10 is reasonable to me. Will buy later.

Steam page has this for the EE:

This Enhanced Edition allows players to experience the epic adventure on PC, Mac and Linux, and includes a host of new features:

Swords and Sorcery: Discover dozens of new spells and items, including new magic armor and weapons.
Blackguards and Wizard Slayers: Select from more than 30 new kits and classes to create the perfect adventuring party.
A New Look: Experience the Enhanced Edition's all new interface, including the new Quickloot bar.
Bring A Friend: Join your fellow adventurers in cooperative, cross-platform multiplayer games.
See The Unseen: Explore quest content cut from the original game, now finished and restored.
More to Experience: Enjoy the countless bug fixes and improvements that await you in Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition!

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition includes both Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster expansions.

I'm playing Baldur's Gate Reloaded, incidentally. I will try IWDEE sooner or later though.

Love BGR, though I haven't finished it yet. Awesome seeing the Sword Coast in 3D

Basically the new quest content consists of improving some of the items in the original game by finding new pieces for them and bringing them to Tiernon for him to combine. Other than that there are some new dialogue lines for new character races and classes like half orcs and barbarians.

Love BGR, though I haven't finished it yet. Awesome seeing the Sword Coast in 3D

When I read "fan made remake of BG1" I was like yeah, of course. But they really nailed it - while tweaking some things, i.e. adjusting the difficulty of the Feldepost Inn brawl, toning down difficulty of the spider quest, changing Bjornin's ogres to more manageable orcs etc. It's a damn polished experience.

On topic, the only reason I'm excited about this are the class kits. I feel I'm going to be occupied with party creation a long, long time. :)

edit: btw they haven't turned off related videos on their website. I just watched a tsunami video on Beamdog's site and was like WTF.

Last edited:
How would a game like this feel on a tablet?

Curious

C

Baldur's Gate:EE on Android feels great. They did a nice job with it. Very occasionally, I have a slight bit of trouble tapping on a door to go through, but it doesn't last long. Really, it works very well. Nice zoom. They added adjustable font sizes, so you should be able to read it on just about any device. Very nice.

Also, I did some looking and apparently they're still working on BG2:EE. Good to hear, but it seems they've been working on it so long they've added an extra E.

From Trent Oster's Twitter:

"Trent Oster @TrentOster · Oct 28

Android BGIIEEE is waiting on the 1.3 Code update. We're still fixing away."

Awesome news!

I grabbed the Android version for now - I have some Google Play credit that expires at the end of the year so why not ;)

Not sure I want to pay $20 for the desktop version when I am just trudging slowly through my replay of BG2EE now and will take a long while to complete :)

I am happy that this time out they have gone with the cross-platform release … previously you would have to buy the Mac and PC versions separately!

UPDATE: Also interesting to see that Trent refers to the iOS App Store approval times site for reference ... so it should be on my iPad next week :)

How would a game like this feel on a tablet?

Curious

C

As long as the screen is of decent size (at least 7" I'd say), its great. I played BG:EE completely on my MS Surface Pro. The Windows version interface wasn't completely adapted for touch, but it worked damn near perfect with the stylus. I'm playing Avadon right now, but IWD:EE will be next, then probably BG2:EE

As long as the screen is of decent size (at least 7" I'd say), its great. I played BG:EE completely on my MS Surface Pro. The Windows version interface wasn't completely adapted for touch, but it worked damn near perfect with the stylus. I'm playing Avadon right now, but IWD:EE will be next, then probably BG2:EE

Agreed - for my current Android tablet I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, and that screen size is well adapted to be usable for games like these. 7" I find too small for these games, the 7.9" iPad Mini was OK, and the full sized iPad is quite usable.

Agreed - for my current Android tablet I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, and that screen size is well adapted to be usable for games like these. 7" I find too small for these games, the 7.9" iPad Mini was OK, and the full sized iPad is quite usable.

I'm playing them on my Nexus 7 (1st gen), and they work almost perfectly. As mentioned already, sometimes a door takes a few tries, but other than that, I get a smile on my face when I play it, because it feels like it was designed for a tablet. I don't know about smaller devices, but when I used to play Ultima 7 on my old Samsung Note 2 phone, using the stylus made it very enjoyable. I would assume the same thing in this case, that 7" is kind of the minimum unless you have a stylus or even a mouse.

Does anyone know if you can import savegames from Icewind Dale? I still have my first game going which went on a hiatus in Chapter 5.

Does anyone know if you can import savegames from Icewind Dale? I still have my first game going which went on a hiatus in Chapter 5.

I'm guessing the answer is no. I saw a post on Steam where someone talked about copying his save files from the original game into the save folder of IWD EE. The saves did not appear in the game though.

*Edit* Apparently you can import characters from the original game but not the save itself due to it using a different file format.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discus...-compatible-with-save-games-from-the-original

Thanks, JDR. I'll stick to Classic then, just have to get around to continuing my playthrough.

Back
Top Bottom