Wizardry 8 Advice

Maybe! I wouldn't know ;). But thanks for the answer. Seems as if I better stick to something else :).

As much as I'd love a new convert, this one probably isn't for you, Turjan. While Wiz8 has a decent story, that's not the point of the game. It's all about character development. The vehicle for growth (and the gage for progress) is combat, plain and simple.

It's very well-designed combat though. :) I like both story and combat elements, but they seldom seem to go hand in hand in RPGs--you usually get one at the expense of the other, like Arcanum;great story, crappy to adequate combat and yes, Wiz8; great combat and fantastic character development, but only adequate story--though actually Wiz8 has a better story than Arcanum has combat. ;)

There is one noticable disadvantage with playing a moded version of the game, and that is that new npc's with new dialog are voiceless bacause obviously you cannot have new sound files magically appear for new text that you give an npc.
But if a mod is good you quickley get used to this.

Like dteowner said. This game is all about character development and i created a mod that gives one reason to continue developing their party long after they would have given up with the Vanilla version.
Quests have to be a little bit special though to really add anything to the game and i believe that one quest in particular that i added will do the job of keeping the game replayable.
I am waiting now to hear feedback from somebody brave enough to try out the mod.

For feedback on the mod visit here: http://vnboards.ign.com/wizardry_8_spoiler_board/b21210/p1

there is about 5 pages worth of feedback accumulated over about 6 months since i released it for you to get an idea of whether this mod is for you or not.

Sorry. i don't know at what point i got mixed up between this thread and the one i made for my mod, but it was intended to confine all my comments to the thread i made for it.

Dont give up on the genre just yet :)

I am currently in the process of building a very intricate odessey so-to-speak. Originally, my design doc was written to be built like an mmorpg, however, in lue of the my class, race, and magic matrixes, I really do not see it becoming an mmo, tis much to complex for a casual gamer or the WoW, EQ, or similiar mmorpg communities (assumption). I really miss the wizardry series and it is where I started getting my imagination, and I'd like to help bring the dieing genre back. The "Final Fantasy" series was also a great inspiration, but after "Final Fantasy III (US)", I really do not know what happened, I just lost interest in the direction they took the theme of the series. Sadly, I am just a texture artist/modeller, but I have been writting this story for going on 12 years now and just completed most of the matrixes - "looks real good on paper (or excel rather - *68 playable classes, 792 spells/skills and the stat distribution breakdown - very tough work for me, and "no" I do not expect everything to be in it, but I was instructed to be very thurough)".

*4 of which are basic

At this point I am toying with flash to get a presentable demo (for a pitch), but I don't have a lot of knowledge of the companies that would support something like this (flash heh, even though my life is in 3ds max, just too much work to get a 3d presentation together). I gather "dte" is extremely well-knowledged on this (?), would love some options to consider here (companies).

For inspiration I still play Wiz 8; just beat I-III and cant find the others, but I bought 8 long ago. Currently I have been destroyed by "Nessie" 4x now, which is what brought me here heh. 2 canned eles, and a summon, still drops the mage on the 2nd round everytime (always uses the granite skin thing on first); keeping all my buffs up still doesn't seem to matter. In 4 tries with a level 14 group - best so far is 600+ hp, but I will get lucky eventually (smuggled Vi and Myles in as well. might be a stat hit, but cannon fodder is worth it for Nessie IMO lol)

To DoddTheSlayer - I am anxious to try your mod out, but it has been ages since I have completed the original game and honestly I don't remember fighting "Nessie", but I will download it once I have completed this run-through.

Last edited:
All men aboard, join my RPGwatch game project. I am in desperate need of an artist to help out, and we could make a wounderful game togheter. you'd not get far with flash trust me!

I am not making the game in flash lol.

To present my game document I have to have a working demo of the games general feel and to the best of my knowledge, flash is the simplest way to go - I did some research and ran into a game called Monster's Den, which got my attention. I think it might be a descent way for me to build a demo.

The document explains how I plan for it to be built in a 3d atmosphere, but I don't have the resources nor the time to model, texture, animate, program, implement sound and music for a pitch demo, it's just a demo lol. The game itself will be 3d, but I still have to find an engine that'll compliment the idea (for the document, it may or may not have it's own engine, depending on funding I'd assume, I have no idea how that works).

Ok, a pity, you're not in on my project I got the engine and programming and mostly sound covered, need one guy on the graphics, if each persons builds his own boat, none will float! I do understand though each has his own passion and unique ideas, I just think it would be great to combine them.

ah, I am currently working on a few projects atm, not real time consuming (luckily I am on vacation atm to relax). Do you have some sort of link to your project? I find that TAs seem quite rare which is why I chose to specialize in it. I keep slipping that out without thinking and have 100 pms asking if I could help out.

Also, I only work with medival fantasy themed projects - I have not had the resources to build my other libraries yet (textures).

Btw - what I am working on is a game document, I don't plan to build this on my own, I am simply taking my time writing it, then I will "pitch" it to a large company to build it. The demo is just to have a visual representation of the idea, nothing fansy.

You'd also be very welcome on the U6 Project!! :)

Anyone know what Dodd's official site is, or his mod's forum/s?

In my opinion, this mod (doddtheslayer 1.4) is pretty descent, but the dialogue and "insert spoiler city here?" textures are much too rudimentary or linear for me (I cant recall the term, but the use of vivid colors in monochromatic elements is not appealing to me). However, I would assume he did all the work alone. Overall I would say it is worth a couple hours to check out.

The npc's dialogues have grammatical errors that are consistant throughout all the new content, which was quite disturbing to me (it may not be the same for others, I just, regrettably, take "rpg" storylines very serious and in-depth).

Last edited:
Dodd checks in here pretty regularly. I expect he'll see your post.

Back
Top Bottom