New Poll - Best RPG's of the 80's

The 80s were a bit before my time, but the original first Quest for Glory was released in 1989, right? First played it about 10 years later, and it's still one of my favorite games ever. Unfortunately, not on their list.

I hope they do a 90s RPG poll next, because I would actually have some good familiarity with those :) I did vote for Wasteland.

It doesn't have my favourite, Eye of the Beholder. I didn't really play that many RPG's before the 90's other than Zelda.

Daniel.

The 80s were a bit before my time, but the original first Quest for Glory was released in 1989, right? First played it about 10 years later, and it's still one of my favorite games ever. Unfortunately, not on their list.

I agree, QFG was a great game. Maybe they did not include it because it is not a pure RPG, but a hybrid of RPG and point-and-click adventure.

Alternate Reality was great fun to sing along with <how often do you hear that about an RPG?> but, as a game, was kinda meh. It might have been great if they could have really done the whole series but with just the city and (later) the dungeon... blah.

I'm too young to have played these upon release, but from my perspective, Dungeon Master and Ultima IV/ V should make top of the list.

First of all, I'd like to thank Couchpotato for linking our poll to RPGWatch, and of course for the rest of your for your interest and input! We'll take a look at the suggested titles that you feel should have been on the list.

@you: Yes, Hack should have been on the list, and will be added now, thanks for that!
@Pessimeister: Yes, we'll add BT2 & BT3, thanks for pointing that out!
@Xian: Never heard of Phantasie III, but heck, it seems to check out…added!
@ChaosTheory: It looks like Realm of Impossibility did not in fact have a PC release. :(
@Darklord: It looks like Eye of the Beholder was released in 1990, and therefore just missed the cut.

And yes, for those of you who have mentioned it, we WILL be putting together a list of the Best 90's RPG's as well, so stay tuned.

-PsychoSyd (www.xp4t.com)

Your welcome guys it was a pleasure helping you out with your poll. Also for future reference I'm going to remind other moderators & members their replies are not spam.

Nice one CP :)

Pool of Radiance
Dungeon Master
Bard's Tale
Battletech
Phantasie III

Nice one CP :)
Your welcome Dart as I knew some members would enjoy the poll.
I hope they do a 90s RPG poll next, because I would actually have some good familiarity with those :) I did vote for Wasteland.
I also started PC gaming myself in the 90's so I know more games from that era. So if the site does a poll about that era I will gladly help out again.

Last edited:
Alternate Reality was great fun to sing along with <how often do you hear that about an RPG?> but, as a game, was kinda meh. It might have been great if they could have really done the whole series but with just the city and (later) the dungeon… blah.

Alternate Reality: The City was kinda meh, but it was just basically setting things up for the rest of the series. Sadly, only AR: The Dungeon was ever released out of the 6 modules planned. It was pretty ambitious at the time, to have all these interconnected worlds. AR: The Dungeon was substantially better than The City.

A little more background can be found on Wikipedia
Alternate Reality

Might & Magic 1
Might & Magic 2
Bards Tale 2
Bards Tale 1
Wizardry 1

Wizardry 1 was the first RPG I ever play. Very fun but very punishing. Thus because I was just getting familiar with my computer, I put up with all the frustration. Bards Tale was like a breath of fresh air. But then Might and Magic came along and blew Bards Tale out the water (IMO).

I played about 80% of the games. But one I missed on was Star Command. And I just bought that about 6 months ago.

Pools of Radiance
Curse of the Azure
Wasteland
Battletech
Ultima 5

Too small a selection, played them all and a lot not on the list. Spent more time on Pool and Curse than all the others combined. Had the original D&D collection on C64 and ran characters through Pool -> Hillsfar -> Curse probably a good 10 times.

Best cRPG collection ever on the c64: http://www.mocagh.org/ssi/addlecollectors-alt.jpg. A time when EA was one of the best publishers...

Back
Top Bottom