General News - 20 RPGS releasing in 2016

Says… Most anticipated.

What it doesn't say is that many titles on the list are console arcadey garbageware I wouldn't play even if someone paid me to do it.
Then it's not just RPG… There is also MMO on the list. Man…
Then there is also DLC on list among full games. Bleh.
Finally on #1 spot is the game that is not 2016., but 2017. title.

This youtube channel should be ignored. Anyone knows how to ban it on my PC?

Last edited:
Maybe a spoiler alert tag: - List from guy who likes cool chaotic stuff on console - could have help us to move on and not waste our time… For example, and I quote:

“The gameplay looks chaotic and the characters look cool, what else do you want?”

Maybe the gameplay NOT being chaotic and the characters smart instead of cool? Just a thought…

“I never actually met anybody in the real world who played DOS…”

Oh, and #1 is Mass Effect….

Should I go on? I rest my case.

The list for people who don't want to suffer through the video. Also, it was posted Jan 6th, some games were pushed back afterward.

20. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
19. Horizon Zero Dawn
18. Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)
17. Nier: Automata
16. Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord
15. Bravely Second (3DS)
14. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
13. Lost Ark
12. The Technomancer
11. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II
10. Albion Online
9. Divinity: Original Sin 2
8. Persona 5
7. Dark Souls 3
6. The Banner Saga 2
5. Torment: Tides of Numenera
4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
3. The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine (Expansion Pack)
2. Final Fantasy XV
1. Mass Effect Andromeda

Sure you do, but you didn't list upcoming 3DS, Wii U, NX, android and iOS titles nor DLC so you suck. :p

Grumpy old man rant: :D
Hidden's list has as many non-rpg games as the article in question. Jrpgs, tactical games, roguelikes, adventure games, bah! It's getting where I look at RPGCodex first to see if something is really a crpg before reading our own news. I can skip 75% of our headlines because they're not really crpgs. I'm of the opinion no news is better than non-rpg news.

That said, I'm really looking forward to Deus Ex the most; at least out of the list provided.

You don't have to look at the Codex, because in the game description we tell you what sub-genre it is.
If we reduce the news to 25% this site will be dead.
And adventures, strategy games, sims, JRPGs, rogue-likes, tactical squad games etc. are really fun, too. Just try them old man - pure full fledged RPGs are becoming rare.

Unsung Story should probably be moved to the canceled category; or "to be announced" if you want to be overly optimistic.

RPGWatch feature request/idea: in the 'release list' section of the site, I would enjoy another tab called something like the 'most anticipated list'. It could include the top vote getters from your New Years polls but could also be a slightly longer list with the editors' thoughts on other games to watch or possible hidden gems in development.

Wasn't dogma already released ? I'm sure I played it in 2015 on the PC.

They're talking about the expansion pack which was released on Jan 15th on Steam (this video was posted first week of Jan.).

They're talking about the expansion pack which was released on Jan 15th on Steam (this video was posted first week of Jan.).

?????????
What expansion pack was released on Steam ? Do you mean the soundtrack ?
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Masterworks Collection was released on Jan/2016 but it only contains songs!

It feels like I already saw this video on this same site a few months ago...

Feels a bit like a click bait. Much share the sentiment of Ajeossi.

?????????
What expansion pack was released on Steam ? Do you mean the soundtrack ?
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Masterworks Collection was released on Jan/2016 but it only contains songs!

Dark Arisen

On second look I guess this isn't an expansion.. perhaps it's more like a GOTY / Ultimate edition as it says: "includes all previously released DLCs, pre-order bonuses, retailer-exclusives, and the Dark Arisen expansion content".

Dark Arisen

On second look I guess this isn't an expansion.. perhaps it's more like a GOTY / Ultimate edition as it says: "includes all previously released DLCs, pre-order bonuses, retailer-exclusives, and the Dark Arisen expansion content".

For a second I was thinking the game had another expansion (besides Dark Arisen). Because the Steam version is bundled with Dark Arisen expansion, I tend to think it is part of the core game (though I know that it isn't). :)

Alternative grumpy old man rant:
I'm sick and tired of re-buying the same game with improved graphics! Control of Innovation and evolution seem to have been handed over to the marketing department. Are new ways to pay in ever smaller and more frequent amounts all anyone cares about?

It's the era of reboots and fan service and people love it. How many times did you go see that new StarWars movie? Shame on you!

Obviously to have progress we have to break the mold. It makes sense to me that RPG games from 200 years in the future will look nothing like RPGs from today. If the RPGs from the year 2216 are as Pillars is to Baldurs then we've achieved nothing!

PS.
Really enjoying the new DOOM reboot at the moment.

Is DOOM a real RPG?

List of new RPG mechanics in DOOM
♦Finding gun alternative fire mods (underslung grenades, etc)
♦Spending Weapon Upgrade points on perks for your mods. (lower cooldown, etc)
♦Quest to unlock the final tier perk on a mod. (Kill 15 boars, etc)
♣Armour upgrades (HP, AC, carry weight)
♠Man upgrades (4 trees of 3 passive perks like less environmental damage, improved cartography, etc)
♥Cosmetic changes

The problem with Deus Ex was sub-par FPS gameplay; the cost of its RPG elements.

Last edited:
After watching this, I can't help but think about my dream. I have a dream about this site. I dream that there'd be some sort of notification whether an RPG is an arcadey\action\slash RPG ala Diablo, or a "real" RPG with story and characters and normal battles. Maybe on the "released" on "expected" lists, or somewhere in the news along with the platform. I don't read news about games everyday and have to dig up a lot of info on each game just to discover whether it's playable for me.

I never voiced this dream, b\c I thought it's unlikely to be heard, but here other people complain that most games on the video list are arcadey stuff they wouldn't play even if they were paid and I agree. So surely I'm not the only one who misses such a subcategory on the site? :)

After watching this, I can't help but think about my dream. I have a dream about this site. I dream that there'd be some sort of notification whether an RPG is an arcadey\action\slash RPG ala Diablo, or a "real" RPG with story and characters and normal battles. Maybe on the "released" on "expected" lists, or somewhere in the news along with the platform. I don't read news about games everyday and have to dig up a lot of info on each game just to discover whether it's playable for me.
Wouldn't really work because everyone's got their own ideas about categories. Personally, I'd like to see a feature that lets me filter out certain categories of games from the main news page, but that wouldn't work either, for the same reason. As an example, stuff like Diablo would be called an "ARPG" I suppose, but then so is Skyrim, and there's probably people who don't like Diablo-like game news but do want Bethesda news. Another example: one of the first things I (and I believe several others from what I've seen) would want to filter out completely is anything JRPG. But some of those people might still be interested in Dark Souls news...

I dream that there'd be some sort of notification whether an RPG is an arcadey\action\slash RPG ala Diablo, or a "real" RPG with story and characters and normal battles.

Soda and popcorn anyone? I feel a "What is a RPG?" discussion coming up :lol:

Back
Top Bottom