Neo Scavenger - New Tech, Mod Fixes, & Beta

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Blue Bottle Games posted a new update for Neo Scavenger with information on new faction tech, more mod fixes, and the next Beta update.

New Faction Tech, Mod Fixes, Upcoming Beta

Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Our internet's still pretty flaky, so I'm going to type my news offline, and hope for a brief window to upload it.

First of all, v0.9922b seems like it might be good enough to replace v0.987b, so I'm going to try to do that this week. There are a few issues with it (there always are!), but I think the net package is an improvement over 0.987b.

For anyone worried about old v0.987b mods, you might be able to still use them with v0.9922b. I posted a sticky in the forums which explains how one can install new and old mods, in case your favorite mod hasn't been updated yet.

Obviously, with the internet connection unreliable, updates are going to be hard to do. I have a service tech coming from Shaw, but they won't get here until Friday. So I'll be limited in my internet until then.

Also, tomorrow (july 1st) is Canada day, so I won't be working. I should be back on Wednesday (July 2nd), however.

Finally, what did I do today? Well, I fixed a few bugs, for one thing. The "run" button had a few bugs that needed fixing, including extra fatigue penalties when in combat. So I took care of those.

There were also a couple mod-related bugs, which prevented certain mod content from working. Namely, battle moves were missing condition info, and recipes were sometimes breaking when overriding base recipes with mod ingredients. These have been fixed locally, and should make the next build (v0.993b and later).

I've also been working on some new code to support items that wear out other items when discharging. Most discharging items subtract whole items from their contents (like electric charges from batteries, or bullets from guns). However, some items wear down their charges instead (e.g. air filters in gas masks).

Since my new faction involves airborne toxins, I want to see if I can make gas masks more meaningful than just decorations. It would also let me add some more challenge to the Great Black Swamp, and open up the possibility of disease and airborne toxins. (Something I'm sure modders would use!)

So far, it's a bit flaky, though, so I need to work on it a bit more. If successful, I think it'll add another source of challenge and an interesting dimension to map travel/scavenging. More on this later.
More information.

The more i read and see about this game the more i get interested.

It's great, if you like survival games and micromanagement of inventory, which happwns to be key to your survival. Unlike most other survival games, it successfully conveys the importance of day-to-day survival. You need the basics — fire, shelter, food, clothing, weapons — or you will suffer and die without them. You really are a scavenger.

<3 Neo Scavanger. Haven't played it in a while, but I'm waiting for the full release now. Not entirely sure why, as I'll probably just die before I get to the new stuff he's adding. :p

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you also have to be OK with dying a lot. :p The combat, represented almost entirely through text, is a surprisingly engaging and detailed. And combat carries real consequences. It's often best to avoid a fight. Being badly hurt is bad news.

If you're OK with using your imagination more than your 3D video card, I highly recommend Neo Scavenger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom