Raven's Cry

I'm not sure if any of my ideas will make it to the game, as I'm pretty sure they would take more than just a few days of work to implement.

Some more questions and answers by Raidor:
1. In which years the story of Raven's Cry takes place. It's clear that it plays in the 18th century but could you specify the century a little but more?

At the time Port Royal was destroyed by an Earthquake (7.6.1692) Christopher was 5 years old. In the game he is mid 30. So the game plays around 1724. - right the time the steering wheel and the sixtant has been invented. But keep in mind that Raven's Cry is a fantasy story. So there is somehow a historical background, but Christopher Raven is not a real person.

2. Can crew members go and help me with mission or walk with me in the citys?

you can hire officers. But they do not behave like pets and follow you in the town.

3. I see the Linux Tux logo on the store page.
Will there really be a Linux version on release day :) ?

yes. we have a Linux version.

4. Free sailing

Free Sailing: Raven's Cry is an RPG and not a sailing simulator. Probably some people find it entertaining to sail 4 weeks from Havanna to Bridgetown. Me not. In RC you can travel around the carribian islands. During travelling you may choose to provoke a sea fight. It would be easy to create a big water map and put a ship there. But that is not our intention.

Free Sailing: honestly said, I do not understand what this discussion is about. I just checked it in the game. If you do not open the Map and choose a new destination after a sea fight, you can sail forever. I never came to this stupid idea, because I want to continue the game and not to sail … but I recently found out, that we have free sailing in Raven's Cry. So I have now a PC running the game and sailing into the direction of Port Royal - probably in 5-6 weeks I will arrive. But more probably, I will stop this in a few hours, because I need the PC for something else.

5. How long is the duration of the day night cycle?

- Different from Two Worlds II, there is no day/night cycle in Raven's Cry. You have different Day and night settings, but there is no realtime clock times X. The game is more story driven and not so much sandbox. …. before someone says "oh, no open world … oh, no sandbox" … there are also Treasure Island which can be free explored. But with Raven's Cry, we want to create a game, which you want to continue to play, because you want to find out what is this all about. It is a bit like a playable movie - but not an interactive movie, of course. You play Chris, and the game will turn you into a really bad person. You will hate your enemies and want revenge. And, if you switch of the game, you will hopefully have lost some of your agressions. - some of the memories of Christopher are so bad, that we decided not to show them as a real / rendered scenes, but as illustrated animations. With a day/night cycle, we do not have the visual appel of the locations under control. And it is sometimes more important for the gaming experience to have the right light/atmosphere in a situation, instead of having a day and night cycle.

6. why are there no playing cards in the CE like you had for Two Worlds 1+2?

We had figurines, playing cards … now we have brass nautical instruments in the collectors Edition. Printing playing cards is an idea which nearly everyone already copied. Bringing nautical instruments in a wooden box for a price together with the game, that you can't get cheaper without the game was more challenging. We have Ravens Cry Playing cards - but this time in a different way. - Stay tuned!

Little sad about 2... but I haven't expected it anyway.

Free Sailing: honestly said, I do not understand what this discussion is about. I just checked it in the game. If you do not open the Map and choose a new destination after a sea fight, you can sail forever. I never came to this stupid idea, because I want to continue the game and not to sail … but I recently found out, that we have free sailing in Raven's Cry. So I have now a PC running the game and sailing into the direction of Port Royal - probably in 5-6 weeks I will arrive. But more probably, I will stop this in a few hours, because I need the PC for something else.
I adore this dev!
This is what dev's answers should look, not some cute sugarcoated PR BS.

Maybe I should ask about endless respawns again? Maybe, just maybe he'd say: "I never came to this stupid idea, because I want to continue the game"-

It will be released at 10 AM PST.

joxer, I await your first impressions immediatley. I need at least one reliable opinion before I buy this one. The hanging willy didn't attract me as much as it attracted you. ;)

But Fluent already provided some info from preview version! I skipped reading it to avoid possible spoilers and I've preordered the game ages ago.

The game is 17+ Gb and it won't download fast on my side thus don't expect any input before tomorrow. I wish there was a preload with day1 patch for stuff they added in past 4 days. Ah well, I guess I'll grind on FF13 endless respawns some more, maybe I even manage to finish this stupid game till then.

I have a little son, second half of Bundesliga season starts today, there's one or another party at the weekend and I could play BlG2 - I'm not in a hurry. ;)

If they have songs abouts tits, whores, dick and pussy, why only partial nudity? Seems like they wimped out to me. :D They must not be as brave as The Witcher folks.

Probably didn't have enough funds to make sex scenes...
But worry not. Modtools will be released so expect a bunch of nudity mods prior to any possible patch. :evilgrin:

Or their 3D artists fail at curves. ;)

First patch is currently in testing. [ source ]

Should be live tomorrow or monday.
The patch is performance oriented, will offer some new mode for older machines to allow smooth gameplay without FPS loss and should get rid of game crashes some people have.
Means I won't see any benefit from it. :)

Mixed up VO, illogical background sounds, raven pickpocket errors, grammar police food, questbugs, script issues and wrong descriptions probably won't be addressed inside it.
The problem with these is people mention them but noone bothered to make a proper list of these. For example, even I didn't post that a certain dialogue, unlike the rest of the game, happens with german VO. How will they fix something broken they're not aware of?
Means, I have to do the list myself. :(

I encourage and appreciate your work as a free of charge beta tester. ;)

It's not betatesting actually… The game had some sort of betatesting for sure as it's finishable (and it's not I got lucky or something - there is an achievement for finishing the game and I'm not the only one with it).

There are some quest bugs, but I'm almost certain no main story quest is bugged. Can't be 100% certain as I don't now remember if a quest belongs to the main story or is just a sidequest as those overlap, for example you start by being betrayed by certain spaniard and later you don't meet him again within the main story but in a sidequest.

Most of bugged quests can be "finished" by taking a certain course (for example, in the case of two betrayers you just have to kill the first one and let live the second one - other combinations will bug it) except two.
One of these two spawns invincible mobs (can still be solved by killcheat) and another fails to spawn three ships but instead spawns only one and locks up the game progress because you can't proceed until you solve it and you de facto can't solve it (it's not clear why this happens as the quest if taken earlygame works properly but since your earlygame ship can't possibly win the fight you'll postpone it, but then in lategame it gets broken).

Apart from that… Jumping has serious problems and it's caused by the engine itself. By jumping constantly it can happen your hero gets stuck on something.
There is one case where certain NPCs float in the air and I can't understand how betatesters missed to spot that one.
There are some typos, for example cannons are written "canncons" or some description says -11 but the game properly subtracts 10 (it's a typo definetly because other layers of the same upgrade subtract 10 and are properly written).
Etc etc.

I must say that betatest was either halfarsed or hired testers were instructed to test only the main story and nothing else.

What betatest couldn't do were VO. These were added to the game only recently, that's why in some cases VO is a bit different than transcriptions, on wrong language or simply missing.

So what I'll do won't be actually a betatest, just gathering issues others and me noticed. There are not many of them like in some other games, so it won't be hard.
Of course, I cannot do anything with performance issues (freezes, stutters, crashes) as I had none so I'll exclude that from the list.

Of course. It wasn't made by an American developer. :D

Huh?
I actually don't know which country the developer comes from nor I care really.
Why would I? If a game is garbage, it's garbage, if it's stellar, it's stellar.
It's developers can be from Mars for all I care.

And I honestly don't understand this approach where EA&Bethesda=USA and everyoneelse=notUSA, whoever spits on EA&Bethesda is spitting on USA, who spits on other developers is spitting on nonUSA.

But you won't see me spitting on The Stick of Truth. Ever. Also, if my own sister was the one who left Skyrim bugs never patched, I'd still publically say she is the stupid bitch and scammer that should be casted out of gaming industry if not in jail.

Feel free to keep ignorant however. If it easier for you to believe I hate a country, continue to believe it.

The first patch is out. From the changelog many performance issues are addressed but just a few quest issues as expected (in fact I didn't expect any quest bug fixed, but won't complain). The patch is not retroactive, thus I should start a new game. Arrrrgh!

Back
Top Bottom