UPlay Following Origin Exclusivity?

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
The writing was on the wall as soon as EA started Origin, and Ubisoft started using Uplay. They all want a bigger piece of the pie, and wont work with Steams new rules.

Well, since I have to launch Uplay to play the games through steam anyway, this isn't that big of a deal to me.

Steam should drop there stance of no in game DLC purchasing. They will lose a little DLC money but they would stay the one stop shop (mostly) for pc gaming.

There is a vast difference between Uplay and Origin tho: Origin actually works. Uplay tends to crash, lose connectivity or mess up save games in some way, because they want everything in the cloud instead of storing it locally. Origin works more like Steam does, so it doesn't have the same connection or server issues.

I've only used Uplay to play Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs for a few hours each, but I haven't experienced any issues yet. :fingerscrossed:

I'm 100% certain this is just temporary.
We know why EA is "banned" from Steam - suspicious virtual bitcoinlike scam currencies, but I didn't see anywhere uPlay is planning to introduce AssassinCreedPoints, FaryCryPoints and similar con jobs.

I'm 100% certain this is just temporary.
We know why EA is "banned" from Steam - suspicious virtual bitcoinlike scam currencies, but I didn't see anywhere uPlay is planning to introduce AssassinCreedPoints, FaryCryPoints and similar con jobs.

The currency isn't the issue. The point is they wanted to sell DLCs directly to customers. Steam doesn't allow that anymore: Any DLCs for a game has to be available in the Steam store, so Steam can get a cut.

I wish that was true.
However all I see is neveronsale and nevercanbespentcompletely scamware called Bioware points.

It is true, it's been confirmed. And it's not as if every EA game uses BioWare points, but they're still not available on Steam. In fact, Dragon Age: Inquisition will not use BioWare points.

Confirmed by who?

EDIT:
Seen requirements for FC4? I was like ROTFL:

Minimum:
•Supported OS - Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit versions only)
•Processor - Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
•Memory - 4GB
•Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD5850 (1 GB VRAM)
•Direct X - Version 11
•Hard Drive - 30 GB available space
•Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

Optimal:
•Supported OS - MS Windows 7 SP1, MS Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit versions only)
•Processor - Intel Core i5-2400S @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better
•Memory - 8 GB
•Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon R9 290X or better (2 GB VRAM)
•Direct X - Version 11
•Hard Drive - 30 GB available space
•Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

I have better system than recommended now, but I'm still not buying.
Reason? Scam others with your season pass fraud.

Last edited:
It's odd Valve said nothing about Bioware Points.

The only concession I'll ever stick with, and it took me 5 yrs to come around to, is Steam. Anything requiring Uplay or Origin I'll continue to avoid, I honestly can't comprehend junking up my computer with so many platforms. One is enough, and GoG is always there for me.

I prefer that as many entities as possible chip away at Steam's monopoly, the absolute worst that can happen is Steam getting all the power. I have 32 GB of ram so I don't care about more clients.

I prefer that as many entities as possible chip away at Steam's monopoly, the absolute worst that can happen is Steam getting all the power. I have 32 GB of ram so I don't care about more clients.

I like steam and I like to have all my games in one place but I don't want Steam Monopoly as well.

Just to say…
FarCry4 and AC:Unity are available on Steam.
At least on my side.

I'll stick to my prejudice.
Ubi in the end agreed not to use FarCry points nor AC points to laundry the money.
Sadly… Season pass scam is still there. Means, no buy from me.

Yep, the games are back now. Nobody seems interested in saying what happened. Could have been a simple screw-up on one side or the other. Could have been a corporate showdown and one of them blinked. Anyone have access to a corporate spy that can find out? ;)

Is it even worth it to play the latest AAA releases with super beefed up spec requirements? I can't think of a single one I'm interested in playing.

Back
Top Bottom