Dragon Age: Inquisition - Wins Award for Portrayal of LGBT characters

aries100

SasqWatch
Bioware's Dragon Age: Inquisition has won yet another award. The game won GLAAD's Special Recognition Award for its portrayal of LGBT characters:

GLAAD cites Dragon Age: Inquisition's "many complex and unique LGBT characters prominently integrated throughout the game" as the reason for its inclusion in the 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, according to a statement released yesterday.
The Special Recognition Award is reserved for "outstanding media projects for which there is not a competitive category." Video games do not have their own category in GLAAD's annual awards.
GLAAD is a media advocacy organization.

hanks to k1rage at the Bioware DAI forums for finding this.

More information.

Thanks for the post Aries I read about Bioware being nominated, but didn't know they won. I hope this thread will remain civil as others haven't on the internet.:)

While I still can't understand how come DA3 got GOTY on so many sites (I did expect a few, but not this much), this particular award is IMO well deserved.

Hell didn't I say Sera is the best written DA3 character? By the end of the game you just can't be indifferent towards her. I adored her, you maybe hated her, but feeling nothing towards her - I don't believe that's possible.
I dare to say she's one of the best written characters of all time. And if nothing then for her writing, congrats Bioware on this award.

Uh Oh. Here we go again.

Suit up, ladies and gentlemen!

Well - I hope it DOES remain civil. For me there is the distinction between whether or not having LGBT characters should be a goal, and whether or not the ones presented are well done.

Juhani was really the first attempt, but worked fairly well in a limited scope. From there I think that they have done pretty well ... and compared to so many of their tired archetypes they stand out quite nicely.

I just enjoyed the game, I dont pay that much attention to politically correct, or incorrect niggling. Yeah, i said it. niggling.

Well good for them, I suppose. It's not really something I care much about, unless the experience gets artlessly shoved in my face.

I haven't played Da:I yet, but simply judging by their previous work, I think this award is well deserved. Bioware has been pretty good at breaking old stereotypes and broadening their audience's horizon :) Mass effect series is great example of this.

There wasn't even a competition as no other studio incorporates LGBT characters in their games to this extent. So Bioware getting this award is kinda default, I think.

I hated Dorian character though. Not because he is "purely gay", or that he is badly written etc. But his personality. He is annoying, full of attitude, mocking, and ultimately vein. Though, at least he accurately represents most of the real world gay men. Hmm..

I hated Dorian character though. Not because he is "purely gay", or that he is badly written etc. But his personality. He is annoying, full of attitude, mocking, and ultimately vein. Though, at least he accurately represents most of the real world gay men. Hmm..

Really? I found Dorian to be very amusing :lol:

Who were the other contenders? I'm not really aware of any other game marketing itself as pro-lgbt

The Special Recognition Award is reserved for "outstanding media projects for which there is not a competitive category.

Whaaaaat?

You mean there's no competitive category for having many complex and unique LGBT characters prominently integrated throughout the game?

Doesn't make sense, seems like an obvious category.;)

Who were the other contenders? I'm not really aware of any other game marketing itself as pro-lgbt
Why would someone market it?

But yea, I can't now remember if any other game had actual characters portrayal in this scale last year. Although, I'm too sleepy to remember now and the year was full of different games. Was Dramatical Murder game from last year or it was just anime spinoff but the game is older?
I think Dorian is a bit cliche myself. Sera I haven't seen her full colors, yet. :)
Dorian is just a drama queen, fun, but not nearly as fun as Sera! Start talking to her already!

Hell didn't I say Sera is the best written DA3 character? By the end of the game you just can't be indifferent towards her. I adored her, you maybe hated her, but feeling nothing towards her - I don't believe that's possible.
I dare to say she's one of the best written characters of all time.

When fantasy gaming "characters" are considered reflective of reality, perhaps its time to "get a life".

I could care less what anyone likes to do with their own orifices, or anyone else's orifices, this is just creepy. The world has moved towards a new tipping point of delusion.

Ah - I see we're trying a new angle this time around. :biggrin:

I think the writing is a bit better than standard Bioware writing, though I did feel slightly queasy having to listen to Sera and her extremities, as the usual in-you-face-times-two character. All modern Bioware games have one, so that's par for the course.

I guess it kinda fits that joxer appreciates her ;)

I liked Solas for his low-key approach, and I originally enjoyed Vivienne - until she started being a Morrigan clone in terms of character and lines.

But it's not all bad - and I like the actual lore and story of the game.

As for who fucks what and why, I care as little about that as always. If it's relevant to the story or the core of the character, cool, if not - I hardly notice unless it's screamed into my face, which it usually is with Bioware. But I've developed an efficient filter for it :)

Back
Top Bottom