I played Colossal Cave on a teletype in the 70s, but I don't think that qualifies as an RPG. I had DragonStomper on the 2600 (with Supercharger) and I guess that might just barely qualify. I played Black Dragon on Compuserve via a Radio Shack Color Computer that someone had lent my parents, and I'm pretty sure that actually counts.

And it never occurred to me before just now that all the time I spent "online" with that thing was costing the poor guy who owned the account $6 an hour in early 80s money. I just plugged that into an inflation calculator and it comes out to something over $20 in 2023 dollars. That's kind of frightening.

Dragon Age: Origins was my first cRPG in technical terms, Had a really fun time - it's a crying shame that nobody makes RPGs with the same type of stylistic flair anymore.

Amen, Margok. They had an almost perfect formula for Origins and then went and....well, right off the cliff. Once again folks, there's only one Dragon Age. =p

Amen, Margok. They had an almost perfect formula for Origins and then went and....well, right off the cliff. Once again folks, there's only one Dragon Age. =p
Absolutely. One of the main issues I think is because Bioware saw the success of the Mass Effect series and wanted to turn DA2 into "Medieval Mass Effect" which is not even a half-noble cause to work towards, Dragon Age was always this sprawling 50-60 hour party-based RPG as opposed to ME's more, condensed, cinematic character-focused linear RPG.

DA2 heavily condensed the dialogue to a criminal degree, it felt like Bioware didn't want you to think about the dialogue options you chose because the icon in the middle always gave you a solid reference as to what the general line your character will give, and the general response you'll receive - DA:O at least had some fun with its expansive dialogue, like the Sloth bear riddle for example, It feels like Bioware was trying to mesh completely different and contrasting RPGs into what is essentially the same blob just with fantasy elements as opposed to Sci-Fi.

What I remember most about the alleged sequel was the raining down of opposition during each and every battle, or at least it seemed to me. I demanded a refund and never looked back, though I've replayed Origins three times to date and likely will again.

What I most remember about DA2 was the criminal amount of copy & pasted dungeons, I'm pretty sure it had ONE dungeon type that was spread so thin it lost any novelty or fun factor it originally had.

The rushed development of DA2 was apparent everywhere you went in that game.

My opinions about the Dragon Age games has always been the minority on this site for years. As I enjoyed playing all three but Origin was of course the best. So I agree.

Probably because it was the last game made pre-EA and made for the PC first.

DA2 as we all know was made on a short development cycle, and was p!aged by many issues because of it. The engine they used was also showing it's age.

Inquisition was better but had to much filler content and based on MMO's.

Last edited:
Eye of the Beholder on the Amiga, but the first CRPG I enjoyed was probably Champions of Krynn. The oldest RPG I've completed is probably Demon's winter (with a ruleset that I found superior to 2nd edition AD&D).

I recently replayed the Krynn series and had a blast! I'm planning to replay some more of the gold box era games later this year.

I would love Dark Sun or Ravenloft myself!
Ravenloft would be fun though. I did another forum post on horror themed isometric RPG and there honestly aren’t many of them.

With how BG3 was sometimes themed (gith, gravity-hopping levels) I thought the game might go spelljammer.

Gosh, I'd take any of those four listed, my order of preference would be: Krynn, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Planescape. Someone get this info to Larian, stat! -p