Dragon Age 3 - Tidbits from ComicCon

I'm with D'Artagnan in that I'm willing to look at what they do - but they need to prove its improved before I put my money down. I don't mind Mass Effect at all - in fact, I think it makes sense to have two "opposite" IPs - an "action" one and a "deeper" one. But that's the problem - they shifted the "deeper" one towards the action end instead of improving the obvious flaws and making it deeper. I loved Dragon Age, so DA2 was a deep blow and they blew their good will. I'll approach DA3 as if they were an unknown developer.

The Code is DRAGON60, I think you have to use origin to use it though.

I don't know if it still works, but over the weekend there was also the code ORIGIN60 which brought the price down to $8, ridiculously cheap. It did have to be redeemed through the Origin client though. I also am not sure if it worked for other regions, but it did work in the US (I tried it) and I saw someone from Canada claim it worked for them.

Well, here's something enlightening for everyone who believes that EA is behind what some perceive as the demise of BioWare:
BioWare still has "huge autonomy" in what it does, co-founders Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk have promised Eurogamer. To say that EA now calls the shots "is not actually remotely true".

"One thing we commonly see is when fans don't like something we do, they put in the comments, 'Oh those EA guys, they're making BioWare do...' And I always chuckle because we are EA, we're BioWare - we're both, and we still have huge autonomy in terms of what we do," Greg Zeschuk told us.

"We're not being forced to do anything or told to do anything. We make the decisions. We take input.

"It's just funny when people say that, because it's not actually remotely true."

"At the end of the day, we're responsible for the quality of the content and games we release, and we're committed to try and always take feedback really seriously from our fans and be humble about how we take it - use it to make the next games better," Ray Muzyka added

Partial quote taken from this -> interview at Eurogamer, published on Oct 03-11.

Yes I've read that. However hypothetically if EA were calling the shots directly or indirectly, I don't expect they would say so.

Also, they ultimately have to answer to EA so even if they aren't there micromanaging everything, it's still a factor whether they want to admit it or not.

I have no faith that DA 3 will be any better than DA 2. I hope they prove me wrong because Origins was a great game and would like to play a proper sequel to it.

I hope for there sake also. I used to get all excited when I heard they were making a new game. Sadly it will probably be a disappointment as it will follow there new vision of the genre. Fingers crossed as I would love to be proved wrong.

It's funny how fickle you guys are, one game doesn't live up to what you want and Bioware is no longer a company to be trusted, no matter how many games they made that have been good to great. Sad but true.

It's funny how fickle you guys are, one game doesn't live up to what you want and Bioware is no longer a company to be trusted, no matter how many games they made that have been good to great. Sad but true.

Well when that game is the most recent one and one of the first to have its entire development cycle after the EA buyout I would say that some cause for concern is warranted.

for me it's not just 1 bad game. DAO is the only game they've released since nwn that I really liked. Jade empire was just plain bad, the sonic game and the iphone game were jokes and mass effect just didn't grab me because i'm not a big sci-fi guy.

I loved dao actually I played it through 3 times in a row. So when da2 was announced I was excited. I thought wow, continue the story of the grey warden, what happen to my companions, allistar the king, where did morrigan go? Just add some new monsters, new skills and talents and maybe a few new classes and they could have a game that rivals bg2!

Well we all know what actually happened. What I thought was a return of the glory days of 1998 to 2003 turned out to just be a setup to grab my money with a quick turn around sequel. Disappointed doesn't even begin to explain how I felt.

As far as trust it's not just bioware. In the days of paying more for less, streamlining and hybrid games trying to appeal to every different kind of gamer that's ever existed I don't fully trust any company. Some more than others though.

for me it's not just 1 bad game. DAO is the only game they've released since nwn that I really liked. Jade empire was just plain bad, the sonic game and the iphone game were jokes and mass effect just didn't grab me because i'm not a big sci-fi guy.

This^. With the exception of DA:O, Bioware has been consistently disappointing me since 2002.

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't really care for KotOR at all. Other than the plot, I found it to be very average in almost every aspect.

While I don't think Jade Empire was "bad", it didn't exactly blow me away. I liked the setting and characters, but the gameplay and overall scope left a lot to be desired.

To be fair, I haven't played enough of the Mass Effect series to pass judgment. I started several different characters in ME1 before losing interest, and I've never played ME2 despite owning a copy since day 1. I'll probably play through the entire series after ME3 is released.

In regards to DA2 though, I disliked that game in every conceivable way. The art direction, the characters, the combat, etc. It really doesn't have a single redeeming quality that I can name.

BioWare still has "huge autonomy" in what it does, co-founders Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk have promised Eurogamer. To say that EA now calls the shots "is not actually remotely true".

"One thing we commonly see is when fans don't like something we do, they put in the comments, 'Oh those EA guys, they're making BioWare do…' And I always chuckle because we are EA, we're BioWare - we're both, and we still have huge autonomy in terms of what we do," Greg Zeschuk told us.

I highlighted the parts in bold that just baffle me a bit here. I kind of read this bit as "they don't call the shots, but they call the shots".

I have never touched DA2 after the demo, and don't have any intention to, really. I adored Origins, and even had some fun with the first Mass Effect, but couldn't stomach Mass Effect 2 very much. At this point, I'm at the "wait and see" stage. I don't predict they'll return to the Origins style of gameplay, in all honesty. I think they have their sights on the casual approach for Dragon Age ala the DA2 formula, but perhaps more streamlined (such as the awesome button).

I'm fairly certain EA has put more than a few constraints on Bioware, one of them being a much more limited window of time to get something out the door prior to a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
He's actually admitting that EA is calling the shots, but let's not stress the poor doctor ;)

This^. With the exception of DA:O, Bioware has been consistently disappointing me since 2002.

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't really care for KotOR at all. Other than the plot, I found it to be very average in almost every aspect.

While I don't think Jade Empire was "bad", it didn't exactly blow me away. I liked the setting and characters, but the gameplay and overall scope left a lot to be desired.

And me. It's not just one game at all, but a consistent disappointment for years — other than DA:O (although I didn't mind ME as a story shooter).

Unlike most of you, the first Bio game for me was NWN OC and I have played every single game they have made since then. I would rate ME2 and Jade Empire as "so so", DA2 decent and all others good or better. Given that DA3 is definite buy for me.

Maybe if started on say BG series then I may think differently about DA3.

well my first ever "RPG" was Dungeon Siege /ducks

How many games Bio made before NWN? As far as I can tell, BG and BG2 so not really a Younglings :)

My first Bioware game was MDK2, but I don't use that to judge them :p

Back
Top Bottom