KoA: Reckoning - Trailer

As I was watching the video, i was sorta Meh. I had been looking forward to this game for some time, now I'm getting the feeling the gameplay is gonna be something like Magicka. Now I'm in wait and see mode.

Dunno what exactly in graphics turns everyone off, but I'm turned off by two different things.
1. EA logo at the start of the trailer
2. Game description: action RPG

Will I play EA's Diablo clone? Never.
Though… I could visit EA boards just to troll a bit about the game before it's released… And just to feel the ban they'll reward me with. :)

I'm aware Diablo is not in 3D, but dhruin, it you'll get 10 quests through the whole game and your only job is to… um… rape the mouse/keyboard/gamepad/joystick/whatever while your brain's higher functions are turned off till you level up, and that level up is there just as an attempt to persuade ppl into thinking it's RPG… Then it's a Diablo clone. Even if it was 4D, it's still a clone, just with a better make-up. Sorry. :)

There are over 300 side quests, let alone the main quest line. Not sure where you get the 10 quests from, but Diablo comparisons are either a joke or troll.

EA is only the publisher, so I'm not even sure why that is relevant, unless people bear them a grudge. 38 Studios and Big Huge Games are the developers and EA doesn't own or have control of them, and they aren't owned by shareholders either, which means unless this bombs (which I highly doubt) they should remain free and clear to publish future games themselves, or at least have options.

The game had to run on consoles as well as PC, so it was never going to be photo-realistic, it makes sense and is no doubt easier for them to make a game world of this size, which is also their first, with this type of graphical style rather than get bogged down with minute details.

Here's my take on KOA
The good - Huge world, 10000 years of lore, good combat, loads of loot, sets, uniques, crafting, alchemy, sagecraft, socketing, interrelating quests, 6 factions, free-form character development, awesome skills, cool monsters, huge boss battles, 30+ hour main quest, 200+ hours side quests, developers that listen to their fans.
The bad - Practically nothing.
The ugly - Flashy graphics and vibrating camera that hurt my brain… EA as publisher?

p.s. trolling only makes fanboys stronger, it's a fail strategy.

To be honest it is quite refreshing to see a new art style and ideas being made into a game. Why not if it works. I'm getting a bit weary of all the games starting to look alike.

is there anything or any game that any of you will ever like or want to play….?????
Not sure why 95% of the people on this board don't have their own gaming companies.
Lore, side quests someone that is gamer making the game (35,000,000) of his own money behind it…
No wonder I don't come to this board much…I can't afford the meds to be as depressing as most of you are......

is there anything or any game that any of you will ever like or want to play….?????
Not sure why 95% of the people on this board don't have their own gaming companies.
Lore, side quests someone that is gamer making the game (35,000,000) of his own money behind it…
No wonder I don't come to this board much…I can't afford the meds to be as depressing as most of you are……

Looking through this thread seems to be equal portions of like and dislike so I'm not sure I get your post.

Also disliking graphics style which is a large portion of the complaints doesn't mean everyone thinks the whole game is crap.

Bg2 is one of my favorite games and there is stuff in it I don't like. On the other hand da2 the most disappointing game I've ever played still offered brief moments of enjoyment. (Covers mouth and throws up in it after admitting that)

Point is there will be stuff to like and dislike about all games and it will get posted. You can agree or disagree I don't see the big deal. Definitively not depressing. they are just games after all.

EA is only the publisher, so I'm not even sure why that is relevant, unless people bear them a grudge. 38 Studios and Big Huge Games are the developers and EA doesn't own or have control of them, and they aren't owned by shareholders either, which means unless this bombs (which I highly doubt) they should remain free and clear to publish future games themselves, or at least have options.

That doesn't mean EA won't have any influence on the project. I also think one of the main concerns is that KoA will use Origin for DRM.

I'm not trying to get into another back-and-forth with you but you originally said "gameplay", not art style, which is why I was perplexed.

@joxer, sounds like you've decided to deride the game regardless of the actually reality.

The art style puts me off too and I haven't been into Salvatore since I was a teen but a great big open world action rpg may be fun as long as all this combat actually is.

OTH, KOA did have Claudia Black doing the voice over, and that trumps just about anything.
Oh yes. Claudia's deep silken voice can make me do or agree to just about anything. Vile Temptress! :lol:

There are over 300 side quests, let alone the main quest line. Not sure where you get the 10 quests from, but Diablo comparisons are either a joke or troll.
@joxer, sounds like you've decided to deride the game regardless of the actually reality.

I've seen that the game is described as, and I've already posted it:
ACTION rpg.

Please do not take this as trolling. I didn't read anywhere about massive amount of quests so sorry for believing it will be questlacking just because of the word "action". If it will really be full of quests, I'm definetly buying it.

It was clear that it will be an action RPG for months now. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised.

Just watched the video and it looks like an excellent action RPG.
I don't mind the over the top WoWish graphics as long as like WoW they are consistent throughout the whole game.
Looks like the type of game I was hoping Dungeon Siege III was going to be.
Definitely interested anyway.

Sounds like many people are making decisions without actually READING about the game. If you have followed all the Q&A's with the developers, read many of the articles, etc. you would know it has a very deep RPG component and that its the combat that is "actiony".

OF COURSE this is based on them being up front about what they are saying. Can't tell till we can actually play. But there have been numerous statements by the company that there are tons of quests, big open world, lots of exploring, C&C, and a huge amount of content and depth to go along with the heavy action combat and style.

So while it may be an action RPG that doesn't mean its just action. From the sounds of it there will be plenty of other things to do.

I'm not trying to get into another back-and-forth with you but you originally said "gameplay", not art style, which is why I was perplexed.

then that is my bad - acutualy the word you used. "VIBE", would have been a far better choice of words than gameplay - Perhaps I should go back and edit my orignal post :biggrin:

I hope the world has some interactive stuff in it, not just a bunch of pretty setup areas for combat sequences. I hated the way fable was "open" but used invisible fences everywhere. Even without the fences, As pretty as it was, there was no reason to go any close to anything or bother exploring.

The Gothics and Elder Scrolls gives you plenty of reason to look behind bushes and tree stumps...

Let´s see.

But there have been numerous statements by the company that there are tons of quests,
For me, tons of quests is a good thing only when it turns out it´s tons of quality quests. Games with "tons of quests" usually mean player is swamped in cut&paste one dimensional fedexs.
Quality quests for me mean interesting quest design (C&C, multiple quest solutions, non-combat stuff, etc.) or good writing (which can save otherwise simple quests from being forgettable/filler, like in, say, Planescape: Torment) or good world/level design (which, again, can save otherwise simple quests by making progress to objectives interesting environmentally). I´ve yet to see an example of any of the above in Amalur.

big open world,
Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning-Guide——An-Intro-to-Quests-Places-Races-People-Creatures-Factions-and-Weapons.jpg

lots of exploring,
With a character that is stuck to the ground, unless a hot spot is available, and can´t fall from anywhere due to invisible walls. Every dungeon I´ve seen so far has been linear. Also, see the map above.

All factions joinable in one game, easy access to respec…
By now, all I expect is some minor stuff implemented just so that C&C stamp can be used. I´ll be really surprised (and certainly pleasantly so) if speech skill isn´t mostly just used to get 200 gold instead of 100.

and a huge amount of content
Again, to me this is only enticing if it´s actually huge amount of quality content, otherwise meh.

and depth
That´s still very uncertain from where I´m sitting. Most of what I see is breadth.
10000 years of history provided via 90 pages or thousands of quite likely nearly identical, just % tiered, pieces of loot aren´t exactly examples of depth to me.

to go along with the heavy action combat
Fans of cRPGs love that :).
However, personally I think a lot of the "action" is in the presentation and those silly QE finishers, the combat seems to be more character skill-driven overall to me, so fortunately it´s merely an action RPG combat, not a heavy action one :).

and style.
Which I think is awful.

As for some other devs´ statements, I´ve found some of them rather misleading.
For example, there is supposed to be 42 "destinies" in the game IIRC, which seems like a lot of customization options, until you get a more detailed info and it turns out there are just 7 (fighter, mage, rogue + combinations) with % tiers.
Or there is dual wielding which, again, might seem like an opportunity to customize weaponry in various ways (like sword + dagger, each with different properties), until you bump into info that dual wield-able weapons always come in pairs (and don´t include swords at all) which likely aren´t customizable separately.
Or there are claims about how visceral KoA´s combat is and then … you see it in action :).

Admittedly, the game´s art direction and corridor/bubble-y world design conditioned me to be pessimistic pretty much by default, but in my opinion there´s certainly a lot of space for doubts when it comes to other aspects still.

Some of the stuff definitely seems promising to me (like seemingly robust skill/talent system, enemies having weak spots/resistances or likely unusually detailed lore), but while a lot of these and other aspects may sound good on paper, it´s yet to be seen how well they´ll hold up against further scrutiny.
Like, say, 280 unique armor sets, cool! But how differentiated these really are?
What are the ways to obtain these, how much of these is hand placed?
The amount of lore is one thing, but how interesting/original the stuff is?
Hidden doors, cool! But do these open alternative quest solutions, safe shortcuts through dungeons, etc., or it´s just more loot in the world which seems already saturated with it?
And so on.

Anyway, seems like it´ll be an interesting game to discuss, at least :).

Back
Top Bottom