Bottom 10 CRPGs Of All Time

How about Daggerfall? Buggy mess. For that matter, should we not mention Wizards and Warriors, with the game breaking bugs and the UberHorse?

Deus Ex: Invisible War

No way, it was not a Deus Ex (in terms of mystery and urgency) game but one hell of a rpg with impressive choices and consequences (decided by both actions and dialog).

It was designed by Harvey Smith, but has all the signatures of a bona fide Obsidian game - an overlooked gem maybe slightly let down by some gameplay mechanics.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Ultima 9 deserves to be on that list. Not a great Ultima, but still a decent game (if you ignore some shoddy programing).

I agree. I think U9 is actually a pretty fun game. I'm not a diehard fan of that series though so that might have something to do with it.

Otherwise, I agree with most of the games felipepepe listed except Ruins of Myth Drannor. I don't recall it being as bad as a lot of people claim. I've never played Lands of Lore 3 or M&M 9 so I'm not sure about them.

Fallout 3 is indeed mediocre out of the box, but it's fantastic if modded the right way. At least it was for me.

Otherwise, I agree with most of the games felipepepe listed except Ruins of Myth Drannor. I don't recall it being as bad as a lot of people claim.

I also have no complaints with your list, but agree with JDR13(we might be the only two) I actually had some fun with Ruins back then and just installed again the other day and it is still not bad.

Aw come on, Dragon Age 2 wasn't that… OMG!
3. Baldur's gate 1 - Uninspired boring combat, uninteresting story and characters
4. Baldur's gate 2 - Uninspired boring combat, uninteresting story and characters
GOTHIC!!! How COULD you!? And Knights of the Old Republic, too? Heavens… I think my world is crumbling around me!

Calm down Zloth. Get a grip. That was six years ago. She… she… she was young and foolish! Yes, that's it! And has long since seen the error of her ways! She probably even has a giant miniature space hamster keychain.

P.S. The only game I could put on the list is Final Fantasy 8. Great music in the opening credits but otherwise? Yuck.

P.P.S. Ooops, no, I can't even add that. It's JRPG not CRPG.

Last edited:
I also have no complaints with your list, but agree with JDR13(we might be the only two) I actually had some fun with Ruins back then and just installed again the other day and it is still not bad.

I also got some enjoyment out of ruins. My main gripe was the painfully slow combat even for turn based.

Painfully slow?! NO, that was a feature; it allowed you to cook a meal, eat it, watch a TV show or 2 while fighting one battle!! :)

How about Daggerfall? Buggy mess. For that matter, should we not mention Wizards and Warriors, with the game breaking bugs and the UberHorse?

WIzards & Warriors didn't have much or any game breaking bugs after the patch. I still play it today. Same for Daggerfall - it has a cult following for a reason. I prefer it over all other ES games for its character creation alone.

I think Daggerfall became a cult hit more because of the concept than the reality, to be honest. Certainly, that was the case for me.

IMO, Skyrim is the first TES game to actually do most of what Daggerfall seemed to promise, back in 1996. Well, most of what I wanted it to do, that is.

I think Daggerfall became a cult hit more because of the concept than the reality, to be honest. Certainly, that was the case for me.

IMO, Skyrim is the first TES game to actually do most of what Daggerfall seemed to promise, back in 1996. Well, most of what I wanted it to do, that is.

Of course the unrealized potential of Daggerfall still is a major draw for people playing it out of nostalgia. Morrowind doesn't deliver all of that - there's no earthshattering political conflict taking place, for instance. The landmass is smaller. No horses. No adventure elements IIRC (like the ropes that were meant to be usable in Daggerfall). The character creation of Daggerfall is completely unbalanced (and a bit buggy), but that's ok for a single character world simulator I think, and its customization is unmatched in gaming history.

You can state your opinion just fine, I'm not a Daggerfall fanatic. I do love the amount of options you have at creation though. I don't play many games outside of my genre, but I wouldn't expect a game from a different genre to beat Daggerfall in this respect. The CRPG's I've played don't mange that either.

Well, of the TES games, it's probably the best one - but I think Skyrim is at least on par with the massive amount of perks and shouts.

But you don't have to look very far to find games with more in-depth character creation options. NWN2 is a good example yet again :)

But I think Fallout and Arcanum both have systems that are more interesting when it comes to creating your character.

I'll take a game that actually works over unrealized potential any day. ;)
I think the exact opposite. Give me flawed gems like Arcanum and Daggerfall over any boring mediocrity like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

I think the exact opposite. Give me flawed gems like Arcanum and Daggerfall over any boring mediocrity like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.
Well, you shouldn't have Ultima IX on your shame list than :)

I'll take a game that actually works over unrealized potential any day. ;)

For me 'it depends' ... I am forgiving of clunkiness in games with a large narrative such as Arcanum or VtM: Bloodlines, but in an action-centric game I expect reasonable levels of complete-ness and technical competence.

I also like games I can install and play, which unfortunately rules out many games from the Win98 era:
- Wizards & Warriors - I have one computer it will work on, an ancient Toshiba.
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire - no longer works on anything I own.
(there are others, but they were kids games like 'Spiderman and the Sinister Six')

I think that is part of the problem with 'Ruins of Myth Drannor' - it would trash your PC, so it was properly thrashed. Playing now ... not terrible :)

Back
Top Bottom