Star Citizen Info Thread

Such a weird trailer. None of this looks like its footage taken from a game.

Where are the swarms of spaceships locked in battle? Not one dogfight? I suppose they didn't include any because it would not have had a positive effect sales?

I could see a massive frame rate loss @ 0:40 when two ships were flying into a planet. I assume this is on an SLI Titan rig provided by NVIDIA themselves.

The canyon racing had a couple of framerate drops when he changed direction. It almost looked like he was skillfully dealing with lag in the controls.

The ship landing on the planet could be the best example of how bad the flight model is. There is very little realism or grace going on there.

I'm starting to think they've secretly decided to make an FPS with spaceship "mounts" instead of a space sim. It's a better fit for the game engine, anyway.

Chapter 2
Something I once said while playing Elite: Dangerous with a friend was "wouldn't it be awesome if every planet had GTA V ONLINE amount of content. It's almost like a 3D desktop only you fly to your next game. If every game developer on Earth was given one planet to populate and it was made simple enough for Minecraft kids to help too then it was kept in open production for 1000 years we'd have a fucking game.

Let's face it - our planet is still a long way off the infinite-term mass-scale open-source collaborations required to populate a galaxy. If they were serious about being futuristic they'd be setting this project up so when they run out of money the pledgers are left with an open-source game to mod forever. It would effectively kill the genre because no one could ever catch up. (sort of like WoW did to MMO) But what are backers left with? They get to RENT virtual assets. Even $15,000 pledge won't get you any legal rights to use a single ship anywhere else. It's all a dead end.

This is just a money making scheme. It's a scam. Everything's a scam. If something allowing user created content did appear you can be sure all work they do is owned by someone else for the purpose of making a profit then is lost when the game stops making money for the publisher.

Why would anyone kickstart a proper freeware AAA game under a totally open source licence? What, are they trying to KILL the industry?!

But isn't this the type of thing we people would really like to crowd fund? Something we own? Something we worked on as kids for our grandkids to play and continue on building?

$150,000,000 raised so Chris Roberts can get rich. That's all it is. We get nothing. This wasn't done as a gift to humanity.

I forgot to post the latest ATV:

Also, for once they didn't delay the 3.0 launch this week - and it's entered the "Evocati" release window. Meaning, there's a decent chance the Evocati will start testing it very soon.

I do expect it to be on PTU for quite a while, though, as it contains a huge amount of changes and additions.

CIG are almost never on time, so it's hardly a surprise that it'll end up being a few months late, but it'll be nice to finally check out all the new features.

You're always talking about vision, newdart, but haven't I just shown how little vision they really have? This same old short-term human mindset which is the root of all the worlds problems? Waste!

What a tragic waste SC is.

For $150,000,000 I'm sure the backers could have got an insanely all-star team of devs. Something like all of Bethesda and id and Obsidian and cdprojekt working on it at the same time. How much did Pillars cost again? $4million* to get Obsidian on a project for a couple of years. That's enough money to hire 37 Obsidians! Really, the money couldn't be in worse hands for this game. All further pledges should be halted until they prove themselves.

The project I suggested is truly visionary. Such an advanced way of thinking well beyond anything Chris Roberts puny human mind is capable of. A real science-fiction sci-fi game!

If he had true vision one of the stretch goals would have been "hire Blizzard to make the game cos I don't have a clue"

* https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity
73,986 backers pledged $3,986,929 to help bring this project to life.

Yeah, you've been really convincing. Believe me, I've lost all faith in the project based on your genius-level insight of how pre-alpha software isn't finished yet.

Let's ignore the open development part of the project, and let's also ignore the excessively detailed information that's been available for years - that goes into every single aspect of tech development and how to deal with the hardest challenges - and, heck, let's pretend CIG have said that the game is optimised and soon ready.

Let's also confuse these community videos intended for - and funded by - backers with actual marketing material and trailers meant to represent the final project, and let's add another stupid level to our misinformation campaign and comment on them as if they were, indeed, intended to show anything like the final product.

How do you do it! I wonder how 2 million backers missed it. Oh, I remember - it's the genius of SirJames and his SCL method of predicting quality of games - that we rabid fanboys who worship CR daily can't possibly hope to achieve ;)

Yes, we should all trust SirJames and his keen view on how to create the most ambitious game in PC history - and how he, with such skill, points out the nearly invisible flaws in this project. He clearly has the experience and know-how to put down Chris Roberts with his pathetic history of only making about half a dozen of the most admired and well-received games of all time. Clearly, Roberts doesn't know anything about games - I mean, he can't even build the most ambitious game of all time in less than 3 years of full development - but SirJames definitely could if he had the chance!

Thank you for your comedy - but the thread is really about information, not misinformation.

I can't really do much about ignorant people trying to infect the thread with their utter lack of insight into the project or emotionally driven investment in a profound negative outcome for it - but I think I've about had it with entertaining the nonsense.

Have fun with SCL, though! ;)

Such a weird trailer. None of this looks like its footage taken from a game.

It's a "fanmade" trailer (it's made by PCGamer) based on ATV footage for 3.0+ (and some other promotional stuff). Some of the elements shown are unfinished and won't be in 3.0 a launch either.

Also, the low FPS part was an ATV QA segment about testing the game on sub-par PCs from a few weeks ago.

Ouch. Yes, you should never do that - diffuse fine powders are highly flammable. We used to set off Coffeemate powder blasts when I was a kid.

pcgamer said:
Another welcome addition to Star Citizen may sound minor, but I think it's wonderful: the ability to change your movement speed while traveling on foot by scrolling the mousewheel. It was one of the first changes I got to see in 3.0, and I played with it for a while—probably too long, considering I was supposed to be exploring moons, not pacing around the interior of a space station. It's just neat, gradually switching from a slow walk to a normal strolling pace to a quickened walk, then to a jog, and finally to a run, all by simply rolling the mousewheel forward. Scroll the other way, and you'll gradually go from a run to a walk.

Being able to pick intermediate speeds between a walk and a run makes movement feel more realistic (akin to using a controller's thumbstick for the throttle in a racing game) and the animation smoothly reacted as I changed my pace from walking to running and back. All those games where you're either slightly slower or slightly faster than the NPC you're following around, and you have to keep switching between a walk and a sprint? Can't see it being a problem here.

Talking about this feature was 30% of the article. Are they taking the piss? :p

They're finally getting to a point where they can show off something that resembles an actual game.

It should shut up quite a few people, though there will always be armchair developers who think they know what it takes to develop a game like this - and who think delays or unfinished features are unusual when pioneering new ways of making games.

Of course, it doesn't help that CR can't predict release dates to save his life - but I think it's a combination of being extremely optimistic and a deliberate tactic to push the team to work harder.

I'm glad I'm not working under his rule - because that wouldn't work with my ego :)

But I'm extremely happy he doesn't compromise and that he has the balls to go all the way.

Last edited:
who think delays or unfinished features are unusual when pioneering new ways of making games.

Of course, it doesn't help that CR can't predict release dates to save his life

He knows when the release date is. I do too.

It has nothing to do with the state the game is in and everything to do with how much money is still to be made keeping the game as it is.

What more do they need? They're already selling DLC, you can get billed monthly by their subscription service like an MMO. These are the real gold mines and he's doing both in early stages of the games production! I guess the other gold mine of modern times is crowd funding and he's clearly nailing that one too.

The games finished. It's always been finished. It's... Perfect!

What are you gonna do when the money finally dries up and they release the newest build as the final version and its the worst game ever? Complain or what? There's nothing to do about it. They're so unethical they don't care how much this will harm backers faith in future projects. People everywhere will be going "YUK, SPACE SIMS" and the publishers who wouldn't fund another CR game over the years will say "We knew you hated space sims already"

I'm afraid release is out of the question. It will cause too much damage for everyone involved. No one wants to be woken from a dream!

...though there will always be armchair developers who think they know what it takes to develop a game like this...
What!? Does this mean that ogre Roberts makes his developers work in chairs with no arm rests!? ;)

The games finished. It's always been finished. It's… Perfect!

What are you gonna do when the money finally dries up and they release the newest build as the final version and its the worst game ever? Complain or what? There's nothing to do about it.
I'm afraid release is out of the question. It will cause too much damage for everyone involved. No one wants to be woken from a dream!

No Man's Sky.

Not quite, it's more like Freeman Star Edge. If for no other reason but both being PC exclusives not released yet.

Gameplay trailer for Freeman (it's singleplayer game!) with some additional voiced input:

Not covered in the trailer:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/freeman-star-edge
FSE(Freeman: Star Edge) treats space and ground equally. You will be able to personally fly your ship in the beautiful universe and engage in fascinating space combat. There are many interesting places you could go in the space. For example, an abandoned space station, ancient space battle zone full of ship wrecks, mining station, etc. You can land/dock on most space objects you find and commence a ground expedition. You can buy new ships from a ship yard and even have your own fleet.
This title is supposed to appear in the last quarter of this year.

Why… Because it's a singleplayer PC exclusive.

PCgamer turned into MMOgamer with only one article per day about some singleplayer game.
Eurogamer is consoleoriented site.
VG247 spams the audience with Destiny and Destiny 2, Pokemon Go and other rubbish, rarely writes about other titles (most probably turned into pay2write/pay2praise).
Theescapistmagazine is dead, they killed almost everything - even Critical Miss.
Polygon is not interested in titles that can't produce artificial clickbait scandals.
Kotaku is… One hit among 100 article fails.
etc, etc.

Seems that the only site that still didn't fall into decadence is RPGwatch.

Back
Top Bottom