2008 NHL Playoffs

Its playoff reffing Corwin. It means they let everything go and try to stay out of the way.

Last night I could have strangled Drew Remenda. I'm rooting for the Sharks but they way he wouldn't stop going on about the officiating's non-calls drove me nuts - and he had the nerve to yap about Bettman's refusal to review the hit on Patrick Marleau from 2 games back. This is the way the players want to play. Those guys are some of the worst homers I have the displeasure to listen too. Its no wonder Canadian fans kept complaining when Remenda was on the CBC.

Anyway, 3-2 in the series, wow. I figured NY would collapse in the playofs, especially against NJ.

Only series decided so far is the Pens-Sens which was embarassing. I don't think the Pens have the staying power but you never know.

That's more like it. I think I would have been more comfortable with about 6-0, but a win's a win. Let's see how it goes back in Predland on Sunday. That one should be on TV for me!

Really surprised with the Rags. I didn't follow the series beyond tracking the wins--anyone fill me in on whether the Rags were that good or the Devils forgot to show up?

they were that good.

Joel's brother has developed a unique style as Doc Emerick put by staying deep in the net. We haven't seen that since Tretiak but he was fat. When you do that you leave your top corners open so its never been considered sound as all you have to do is shoot high.

The problem was is Devils didn't and it looked like they couldn't. With the new defensive systems clogging up the middle you don't leave the slot open so NJ's shot were in tight. And if you are in tight its very hard to roof it without a stick that's completely illegal. NJ got a few of their shots from the point but you can't rely on those - with the middle clogged those shots become easier to block. That said, I did notice Lundy came out to challenge Madden's penalty shot.

In all, I would say the Rags were that good. Gomez and Drury are back to their old form, Jags is proving to be a vet and Divorski is showing his stuff.

Now that's definitely more like it. Could it be a visit with the Crapalanche next?

You know, GG, if you're going to root for Swedes, 1/3 of the Wings' starters come from there. No other team comes close. We'll welcome you on the bandwagon if you'd like to root for the correct team going forward.

edit- Flamers push the Sharks to a game 7. Beat each other to a pulp, boys! Flamers win, we get 'em. Sharks win, we get the Crapalanche. While I'd rather play Colorado, there's a certain appeal to seeing the Sharks gone.

Last edited:
Calgary shut down SJ in systematic fashion. I belive Remenda and company can't stop complaining about playoff officiating because SJ is so soft. I look for a similar game on Tuesday though I'm still cheering for my neighbourhood Sharks if only because I can't stand the Flames.

As for Chicken Swedes the Canucks have Naslund, Henrik, Daniel, Ohlund, Edler and potentially Bruunstrum, Forsberg and Sundin (yeah right).

I got off the phone with my friend in Michigan and he simply says the they were the Dead Wings. There used to be a Snore Us (Norris) division but htat's gone. Other pitiful team nicknames include the Can Nots or Canuckleheads, The Laffs, the Quacks, etc. The Flames and Oilers have rather rude nicks which I won't repeat here.

Oh, and it turns out Tim Russert of Meet the Press is a Washington Capitals fan and held up a Sweater. I wonder if he dares to wear it when he goes to the Pennsylvania Primary on Tuesday.

Supposedly, Bruunstrum is reconsidering since the Nucks fired their GM. He might fight for a spot on the Wings roster rather than have it handed to him up in Vancouver. Even with Lilja safely locked in the pressbox, we've still got 6 on the ice (Lids, Kronner, Homer, Mule, Hank, and Sammy). You can have Floppa, by the way.

Quacks are playing golf. Pronger decided to crosscheck someone in the final minutes and remove any chance of his team pulling out a miracle. What a tool.

San Jose up 5-2 over Calgary in the 3rd period right now, it looks like the Redwings will indeed have a date with Colorado in the 2nd round.

I'm going to enjoy watching Detroit send the Avalanche home for the Summer.

I'm going to enjoy watching Detroit send the Avalanche home for the Summer.
Amen, brother, amen!

I'll total up the points from round 1 tonight. Structure for round 2 will be:
2 pts for picking the winning team
1 pt for picking the number of games
1 pt for getting both correct

Score after Round 1:
cm- 11
GG- 10
geist- 7
dte & masterlich - 6
corwin - 5
lucky - 4

Gentlemen, I believe we need to step it up a bit as the ladies are embarassing us.

Your series to pick for Round 2 (remember...team and games)

RED WINGS vs Crapalanche

Sharks vs Stars
Habs vs Flyers
Pens vs Rangers

Interesting that both East and West were 1,2,5,6. We just might have a fair shot at an Original 6 finals for a change.

My selections:
Wings in 5
Sharks in 7
Habs in 5
Rangers in 7

The Crap in 7 (Just to annoy Dte :) )
Sharks in 6
Habs in 7
Pens in 6

If you had picked the right team in round 1, we'd be tied, ya contrary old booger. Keep that up and you won't have a chance at the game-worn Sid the Kid jockstrap or the gift certificate to Floppa's Dive Shoppe.

I protest CM picked AFTER some games were already played! hehe, I always want to win.

OK

Wings 6
Stars 6
Habs 5
Rangers 7

A game-worn Crosby jockstrap? That's the prize this year? No wonder the ladies are in the lead (I won't ask how you managed to get it, dte).

Wings in 7
Sharks in 6
Habs in 6
Pens in 6

Well crap. That's going to take some serious Photoshop fodder, isn't it...

Several folks are late to the party. What to do, what to do?

Wings tried hard to piss it down their leg, but held on to take game 1. Floppa sprained his mommy parts and hid in the press box.

oops..a little late but time for me to catch up and embarass the rest of you.

Wings over Avs in 5 just because I hate the Avs.
Stars over Sharks in 6. The Stars have more depth than Calgary and SJ was badly torn up by them
Habs over Flyers in 5. Philly is badly outmatched and that comeback win should let the wind out of their sails. Besides, they are still distracted by Barack Obama's bowling scores.
Rangers over Crosby and Co. in 6. Pens are a gun team to watch but unless they figure out Lundqvist they still aren't ready yet.

Back
Top Bottom