Any fun FPS games that you've played

Thanks, I keep forgetting about demos ;)

Downloading now. I'll let you know if it's as bad as Alpha Prime or has any redeeming qualities.

Anyone play Necrovision? I've read the reviews over at Quater to Three and I'm still not sure about it.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2009/06/15/necrovision-reviews/
http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/06/necrovision_pits_vampires_agai.php

I like me some bad horror movies, but bad horror games???

If you want to see what people think about a game, go to www.gamerankings.com, it gives you the average score from many professional reviewers. A game in the 60% can still be entertaining, even if there are obvious flaws. When I really want to play a few FPS's really, I played the new TUROK (64.64%), Clive Barker's Jericho (65.82%) and Blacksite: Area 51 (62.20%). Even if they weren't as enjoyable as other games I played, they all had pretty good graphics and I didn't found any of those bad enough to not complete.

You can even make advanced searches there. Search "PC" "Action >> Shooter >> First-Person" "2009" and you might want to limit the search to min 5 reviews to sort out the more popular ones. Then you can just change the year to 2008, 2007, 2006 etc.

I'm still playing SW Battlefront ! from time to time.

My far most favourite map is currently "GUS: Mount Edun" or so was the name, from http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/

Unfortunately I can't find it anymore there.

Others of my favourite maps are:

Naboo Seenland ("Lake-land" or so, it's a German name): http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Naboo_Seenland;35842

Ord Mantell: No Greater Glory: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Ord_Mantell_No_Greater_Glory;42530

Duulan: Mine Pit: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Duulan_Mine_Pit;97965

Don't be surprised if the links won't work: There is some kind of timed release of them, seemingly; after a time they become invalid, somehow, although the maps are still there.

Edit: If anyone is interested, I can send Mount Edur via e-mail, the compressed file (used 7-zip for that) is 11 MB big.

It's a really vast map. The biggest after "Rhen Var: Dirty Ice".

Last edited:
I have both SW Battlefront games Alrick, although to be honest, I haven't played either of them in more than a year.

I thought both games were an absolute blast for multiplayer, it's a shame they weren't more popular. I loved the space battles in BF 2, and how you could land on the capital ships...

I have both SW Battlefront games Alrick, although to be honest, I haven't played either of them in more than a year.

I thought both games were an absolute blast for multiplayer, it's a shame they weren't more popular. I loved the space battles in BF 2, and how you could land on the capital ships...

They were actually supposedly huge sellers (don't know the numbers).

At this point, the boys and I play Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron on the PSP (it was an exclusive) ... it is loads of fun, and the only Battlefront I play. The others are sitting in a box.

Oh I'm sure they were, "Star Wars" + retail package = money. It's just that their online communities didn't seem to have much longevity.

Isn't that the truth! :D

I was not a huge fan of either Battlefront for PC. And I know that to be true for many who were huge fans of playing multiplayer in Jedi Knight / MotS / JKII and so on ... so perhaps the problem was that they didn't attract players who would be in it for the long haul?

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is another good one. I just reinstalled it so I can replay it before I purchase the new Wolfenstein game being released this week.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is another good one. I just reinstalled it so I can replay it before I purchase the new Wolfenstein game being released this week.

My problem with that was more about the weapons. I enjoy it, but after MoHAA it felt very sloppy when I replayed. Still love the atmosphere and music!

My problem with that was more about the weapons. I enjoy it, but after MoHAA it felt very sloppy when I replayed. Still love the atmosphere and music!

Both were great games, but Wolfenstein has aged a lot better imo.

*Edit* Just started playing it tonight. I forgot how fun this game is, I love all the hidden areas/items scattered throughout., I hope the new Wolfenstein has them as well.

Last edited:
Wolfenstein was great - one of my favorite genuine FPS games.

It had an emphasis on exploration - which is what I enjoy most. Great atmosphere and great levels.

I enjoyed Unreal 2 a lot also, even if it was panned in reviews.

I also liked Unreal 2 as well, I thought the final level in particular was great. That being said, Unreal was a much better game for it's time.

In technical terms, I'd agree. Fantastic engine with fantastic levels.

But I actually enjoyed Unreal 2 a lot more as a singleplayer game. But that's because I'm a big exploration dude - and Unreal had mostly empty levels, even if they WERE extremely pretty.

What was that level called.... Sunspire? That was quite an OMG moment back in the day :)

I was fortunate enough to have a Voodoo 2 card at the time, which meant smooth gameplay with max settings.

I preferred the original, but while the gameplay holds up nicely, I don't think it ever had all that great of a story. As for U2, it had larger areas, but having big empty spaces filled with dated gameplay doesn't equal exploration to me.

I preferred the original, but while the gameplay holds up nicely, I don't think it ever had all that great of a story. As for U2, it had larger areas, but having big empty spaces filled with dated gameplay doesn't equal exploration to me.

I don't think U2 had larger areas?

At least, that's not how I remember it. But for an FPS - it had very nice levels and I certainly was more intrigued when exploring them.

Nothing like System Shock or Deus Ex - mind you - but I certainly remember being entertained in this way.

But it's fuzzy.

I never played Wolfenstein - I think it got banned here.

Not that I would want to play it, though ...

The areas in Unreal were definitely larger than the ones in Unreal 2, which were also somewhat linear in comparison. Also, iirc, you couldn't enter water in U2.

Unreal 2 had some interesting missions though, I should replay it someday if I can find the time.

The areas in Unreal were definitely larger than the ones in Unreal 2, which were also somewhat linear in comparison. Also, iirc, you couldn't enter water in U2.

Unreal 2 had some interesting missions though, I should replay it someday if I can find the time.

I guess I am just remembering the open spaces where you had enemies coming from all sides and angles. I don't know, I haven't played since I played it at launch.

As for RtCW ... I hate you JDR! Installed and found it was netbook friendly ... now have to dig out my MoHAA disks ...

skavenhorde, there is a demo for it (973mb).

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=26603

Let me know if you end up trying it.

Just got done playing the demo. You should try it if you liked Painkiller. The reviewer was right. At first the controls seem a little odd, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. You can hold two different kinds of weapons. I had a bayonette in one hand and a pistol in the other. You get used to it quickly. Oh and if you do play the demo then at the first boss fight ignore the zombies and just go after the ghost. It keeps raising them back to life.

Overall the game feels a lot like Painkiller. I was expecting something along the lines of Alpha Prime (worst FPS I've played ever), but was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of different options. In addition, I liked the WWI setting instead of the usual Nazi WWII.

I'm going to get this one from Steam a little later.

Painkiller wasn't really my cup of tea, not enough variety in the weapons and enemies for me. Still, I might give Necrovision a try if I can find the time.

Back
Top Bottom