Any fun FPS games that you've played

Not sure about the enemies, but I'm pretty sure the variety of weapons is a bit better. They at least have 2 types of pistols. A luger and ...something else (the american handgun) where Painkiller only had one kind of each weapon.

Anyways, at least the demo wasn't as bad as all the reviewers made it out to be. I was soo expecting a mess with wonky controls. Maybe I should keep that attitude with all the games I buy. Have the lowest expectations and be happily surprised when it doesn't meet them :)

I never understood what the title "Painkiller" was actually about.

Killing pain ? How ? Going into a hospital ?

Maybe you need lots of Aspirin to enjoy the game? ;)

I never understood what the title "Painkiller" was actually about.

Killing pain ? How ? Going into a hospital ?

Shooting stuff - do you really need more? :D

I liked it for what it was - a mindless Quake-like ... between Painkiller & Sacred I felt like it was 1997 and I was playing Quake & Diablo again ...

Definatly a pure mindless FPS. There is a story shoved in there, but the locations (insane asylum was creepy), the monsters (those nuns freaked me out) and the rewards for completing a level a certain way are what makes the game great. It's not enough to just pass the level. That's the easy part. The hard part is doing it in a way that gets the the bonus tarot. Like finding all the secrets on a level or just using your shotgun. Some are easier than that, but some are just so insane. Like completing the level without getting hit once.

It's a fun game for what it is.

"You don't need Aspirin. Just play our game !" ;)

Imo the best "mindless" shooter ever made was Serious Sam . That game had it all: a cool protagonist, fantastic graphics (for the time), great levels, an insane amount of enemies, memorable boss battles, etc.

They're remaking the original Serious Sam as Serious Sam HD, an exact port of the original game using their new Serious Engine 3

I'm really looking forward to this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbwOukQlDY

Shouldn't the best "mindless" shooter be a zombie-shooter?

Brains... :faq:

Imo the best "mindless" shooter ever made was Serious Sam . That game had it all: a cool protagonist, fantastic graphics (for the time), great levels, an insane amount of enemies, memorable boss battles,
and a good CoOp mode! So many games miss this substantial detail.

Shouldn't the best "mindless" shooter be a zombie-shooter?

Brains... :faq:

Very nice ... :D Good for an ironic-themed marketing campaign. ;)

Thanks JDR, that was great.

This makes another game I'm getting. Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I'm up to 8 now in September. I'm going to be going over my budget next month. Sarah is going to kill me.

Oh, HD or not, now I so want to replay Serious Sam!:cries:

I actually reinstalled DOOM 3 as a fun experiment. I had a really strong computer when I played it the last time, and I played it with max settings 1600x1200 which was still a bit choppy. Since I have a lot more power now, I wanted to see how well it runs. Well, I ofcourse get more than 60fps in 2048x1536, a long with a few graphic enhancement mods.

I forgot just how atmospheric the game is. The game is really creepy and the darkness sets a very different theme to it. Since I recently played System Shock, I found it interesting to see that DOOM 3 uses a similar system with PDA's that can be read for keypad numbers, puzzle solutions, or just flesh out the atmosphere. The audio is really fantastic too.

Of course, it's not the best FPS ever, but it's way better than pretty much everything the recent years have offered in the FPS genré.

Same here. Serious Sam: First Encounter blew my mind when it was first released, and Second Encounter was great too. Too bad SS2 was nothing like the first 2 games.

Absolutely agree - I played Second Encounter first, and then the first one. Really love them, but SS2 was just not the same ...

Graphic enhancement mods for Doom 3, eh, Jemy? Do tell! I need something to keep me occupied before Doom 4 comes out.

Graphic enhancement mods for Doom 3, eh, Jemy? Do tell! I need something to keep me occupied before Doom 4 comes out.

Appearently there's an universal mod that was announced that never came, called GX2. You can see previews on it on youtube. Thing is, you can puzzle the same thing together with other mods. Simply enabling parallax mapping and bloom make the game look quite different.

The only mod Doom 3 really needed was for the weapon sound FX imo. The guns in Doom 3, specifically the pistol, machine gun, and shotgun, didn't sound anything like they should have.

Back
Top Bottom