Any new info / rumors regarding potential D&D-based CRPG?

bizorker

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor
The only thing I see on the horizon are rumors about Obsidian potentially looking at a Pathfinder game.

Anything else out there?

Not as far as I know.

Very sad that Sword Coast Legends turned out to be so half-assed and weak - as it could have done a lot for the subgenre.

NwN 1 modules and ToEE Circle of Eight are your best bet...

I think Beamdog are working on something, although it hasn't been announced? I'm hoping this is the David Gaider project. I have high hopes that Gaider, back at a smaller studio, can pull something pretty cool out of the bag...

Lag? I don't think anyone here plays SCL. Hate to say it but it was a disappointment.

Seems everyone forgot Knights of the Chalice 2. Seems like a pretty good chance that it will be the next D&D RPG to be released.

Oh I've not forgotten about Knights of the Chalice two, but if I post about it in every single subject I fear I might get the ban club upside mah head!

The only thing I see on the horizon are rumors about Obsidian potentially looking at a Pathfinder game.

Anything else out there?

Think I read something about former BW devs starting their own indie company, inspired by one of NWN modules from one of creators( Burton, unfinished Twilight series)...here it is, surprised it flew under the radar ( or even not yet spotted by Farflame :p)

http://www.mooncrestrpg.com/news/2015/07/22/introducing-rick-burton/

They've got their own website: http://www.mooncrestrpg.com/news/

We need some members to trawl the Beamdog forums for clues. :) As nothing has really been too forthcoming on that front since David Gaider left the BioWare-sphere and Siege of Dragonspear was released.

As a big fan of Knights of the Chalice, I'll be definitely investigating the sequel despite the significant changes in presentation style. The original was a true gem (and I still haven't beaten that last optional fight!)

Think I read something about former BW devs starting their own indie company, inspired by one of NWN modules from one of creators( Burton, unfinished Twilight series)…here it is, surprised it flew under the radar ( or even not yet spotted by Farflame :p)
Sadly that game might be dead as the kickstarter failed to raise funding.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/games/mooncrest-909/news.html

Well, this isn’t the follow up update to the combat system unveiling we were planning on. Since the closing of our Kickstarter over 2 months ago

development on Mooncrest has not progressed in a manner that we are happy with. When we brought the project to Kickstarter we didn’t have any plans in place or talk about what steps we would take if the campaign had failed. As we discussed elsewhere, there were problems with the way we chose to present the game and everything didn’t come together the way we envisioned.

Afterward, we decided a playable version of Mooncrest would be the best way to convey our vision of the game. The past 8 weeks we have been working toward a second Kickstarter with a modest goal of $40,000 where we planned to deliver a vertical slice to our backers. A vertical slice, for those not familiar with the term, is a playable proof of concept. It’s not the same as a prototype or pre-alpha as it looks and plays like the final product. With a playable version of the game and a better project video it would have addressed all of the concerns of our previous campaign. Also, it would have made it easier to be greenlit on Steam.

While we feel we were finally going in the right direction, the harsh reality is economically we can’t continue the development of Mooncrest at this time. The project has been self funded from the beginning and we are at the point we are beginning to scramble to make ends meet. We had a short window to get the second Kickstarter up and running due to the fast approaching holiday season (when Kickstarters don’t have a high success rate) and we found ourselves making decisions to make the deadline that would have again lead us to another subpar campaign. That was something we decided wasn’t fair to us, our families, our friends, and most of all, to you, all of our amazing supporters out there. After some soul searching we decided our best course of action was to put the project on indefinite hiatus. […]

Last edited:
Did anyone else just have such horrible lag on Sword Coast Legends that they couldn't play it? On high-end gaming machines of different configurations, I couldn't get that game to play right for the life of me.

Hmm, lag is network latency. I don't remember having much of that.

It didn't perform very well for how it looked, but it wasn't unplayable or anything for me.

We need some members to trawl the Beamdog forums for clues. :) As nothing has really been too forthcoming on that front since David Gaider left the BioWare-sphere and Siege of Dragonspear was released.

There isn't much in the forums either. Gaider make a post (June 2016) to ask people about their top 3 features they wants in a D&D game if Beamdog was to hypothetically make one. And last Fall he mentioned having finished a design doc on twitter (so don't expect anything until 2019 basically).

Trent Oster also did this.

That's about it.

Seems everyone forgot Knights of the Chalice 2. Seems like a pretty good chance that it will be the next D&D RPG to be released.

IIRC KoTC used the 3.5 OGL ruleset. Has he announced if he's using the 5th edition for KoTC2?

I can find any mention of it on his website.

I wish we could get a proper D&D CRPG with turn-based tactical combat... basically I want a modern ToEE but with a better story and enough budget to actually finish the game. Why can't this be a thing?

I would also like to see a modern take on the gold box games. Release the engine so people could make modules like they did in Unlimited Adventures. Would love to play old modules like White Plume Mountain or Against the Giants in a modern game.

That would be one of my dream games so it will never get done. :(

I wonder is the audience truly not big enough to make such games viable or are publishers just clueless idiots in suits?

Back
Top Bottom