Arcania - One Week Delay for US?

The day I heard TW2 getting pushed to January, the 11th I think, I immediately looked up Amazon.de(Germany) and pre-ordered the PC Royal version. ETA is no later than November 4th!

Same here. I have zero interest in Arcania after playing the demo and seeing initial reviews. TW2 (import) on the other hand looks like a lot of fun and also gives me a few weeks to enjoy New Vegas first. Arcania vs. New Vegas on the 19th? I know which one I'm choosing…

im Really tired of the delay schemes. especially when it is a couple of days before release,the video game market is becoming becoming like used car sales from DLC,to unfinished games and releasing a broken product to all the sequel cash cows. If there is 3 games that i know i want and are all being released on the same day guess what... im getting all 3 of them or i will purchase 1 and next week get another thats what GAMERS do !!! am i wrong??? Independent devs is the way to go for PC gamers , or Valve .

Same here. I have zero interest in Arcania after playing the demo and seeing initial reviews. TW2 (import) on the other hand looks like a lot of fun and also gives me a few weeks to enjoy New Vegas first. Arcania vs. New Vegas on the 19th? I know which one I'm choosing…

Kardio, if you dont mind, contact me when your copy arrives, and I'll do the same. I never imported a game before. My expected delivery date is between the 29th & November 4th. I hope it doesn't get delayed!

im Really tired of the delay schemes. especially when it is a couple of days before release,the video game market is becoming becoming like used car sales from DLC,to unfinished games and releasing a broken product to all the sequel cash cows. If there is 3 games that i know i want and are all being released on the same day guess what… im getting all 3 of them or i will purchase 1 and next week get another thats what GAMERS do !!! am i wrong??? Independent devs is the way to go for PC gamers , or Valve .

I hear ya, but there are just too many decent games coming out more or less at the same time. I refuse to buy them all at once. I'm interested in Fable 3 as well, but I won't buy them all on their release dates. Although I'll eventually own it, I'm going to need to pass on Arcania this time around. JoWood is losing their window of opportunity by going up against Fallout. My focus is now own Fallout and Two Worlds2.

... Well, not everyone likes the Fallout setting ... But I agree, Bethesda is just too big for competition ...

RPGs are becoming a endangered species, REAL ones anyway. here is my priority list of wants.Fallout:NV,TW2,Divinity2-D.K.S-,Witcher2,Pirates Of THE carradean has alot of potentia,Drakensang-ROTime,Guid Of Wars2 looks incredible !!!!and i dont play MMOs,Path Of Exile,Inquisitor,Age Of Decadence,Grim Dawn Looks beautifu,lBastion . not that anyone asked but just trying to share the hope .What do you guys think and is there any other games out there that are prospects to you . thanks for reading

… Well, not everyone likes the Fallout setting … But I agree, Bethesda is just too big for competition …

I am not enamored of the post apocalyptic setting but Fallout 3 was a pretty good game. It is not my preferred setting but the Fallout franchise has been able to get the setting right for a great RPG.

Still, as I posted earlier, Fallout was my 3rd choice after 2Worlds2 and then Arcania. However, it apparently is now going to be my first choice. The Fallout games take me a looooooooooooooooooooong time to complete (2 to 4 months) so who knows if I will ever get to 2World2 or Aracania, especially if Deus Ex is out when I'm ready to buy again.

Like I posted in the other thread it seems like its common now to delay a game a week before launch and piss off many people.Glad its only a week but I still prefer fallout New Vegas and Two Worlds 2.

Why would they delay this game one week before release against a heavy hitter like Fallout and its only delayed in the usa? South Peak did the same thing and it totally back fired on them. Say what u mean and mean what u say release the game. Maybe it has to do with the phyisical product not being ready to ship? i dont get it. If i only had 50 bucks to buy Arcania or Fallout... its a no brainer.

Seems like a strange move, but I wasn't going to buy it for at least two months or so anyways. Maybe they think that holiday sales will make up for any direct competition with Fallout: NV. It's not a very bright move on their part, but whatever…..

At the steam forums it was announced the delay is because of a shipping delay with the retail copies for north america/canada. I hate it when digital copies gets delayed because of problems with the retail copy.

Lucky I should still get mine on 12 October since my region falls with europe.

ArcaniA - Gothic 4 Xbox360 & PC Release Delayed to Oct 19th in North America

Toronto, ON: DreamCatcher Interactive, JoWooD Entertainment & the BVT Group and announce the brief North American release delay of Arcania: Gothic 4. The game was scheduled for an Oct 12th release and has been pushed back one week to October 19th.

The game will be released on October 12th worldwide, and on October 19th in North America.

In North America the release is the 19th of October. This is due to shipping times of the retail version. We apologise for that and hope you can wait for some more days - its worth it!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487814

I'm pretty sure that retailers would not accept it if it went on digital sale a week before they could sell it. That would seriously affect their sales (more than releasing it the same day as New Vegas), and I wouldn't be surprised if there was something about this in the contract. So unless you want an all digital distribution, I don't think there's any choice.

Frankly, I can't see how it would matter much for their sales whether it's available a week before NV or on the same day. I think it's a much bigger problem that several long-expected games are released within a short period of time (e.g. a month), the exact day is of minor importance. IMO.

Last edited:
No way they are doing this by choice. I agree that it's probably a manufacturing / distribution issue. This would explain why the release date for the digital version on Steam has (apparently) not changed.

IMO, the new date destroys any chance this game had in North America. They had a shot at selling to RPG fans looking for a short (20 hour) game to keep them busy before New Vegas arrives. But direct competition with New Vegas? Forget it. Even Fable 3 is smart enough to avoid that release date!

So, assuming you are right, and given the fact that they can't deliver on the 12th, what they ought to do is postpone the release in the US by, say, a month - until mid-november?

Well, they really want to avoid Flames of Vengeance on the... 5th?

So, assuming you are right, and given the fact that they can't deliver on the 12th, what they ought to do is postpone the release in the US by, say, a month - until mid-november?

Everything would have been better than getting into a David vs. Goliath situation against Fallout. Now Arcania is probably dead in NA.

I still find it hard to believe that moving the release one week to the day when NV is release would make all the difference between a moderate success (or whatever they could hope to achieve) and being dead. But I'm clearly in the minority here, so… We'll see.

One thing that might be of importance: I don't know anything about deals between publishers and retail chains, especially in the US. But I have some experience with large software contracts in health-care (in Norway), and it's quite common to impose day-by-day fines/other costs if delivery is postponed close to deadline. So if that's the case, a longer delay could cost them a lot.

Yes, it just seems that a German PC RPG would aim for all the advantages it could get for its American release, and this does not seem to be that :)

I'm surprised publishers don't coordinate more, really.

It's a shame we've followed films into the 'opening night' phenomenon - I don't think books have such an extreme sale profile for example. ALthough now I come to think of it, I suppose good/big games keep selling - it's more the semi-popular titles that depend on that first week because that's about the only one they get...

They know that their game got trashed everywhere because of the horrible demo and they are going to impress the public "we are as good as Beth".
It is the same strategy some use in eve online , you sell your products very expensive , noobs think that because they are expensive they are better.

I will probably get neither .

Did the game also get delayed in the UK? I notice that few retailers seemed to have moved the date to the 22nd when last week it was the 15th.

Back
Top Bottom