Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Preview @ Gameffine

Boy, I do. Beamdog has never done anything of any significance. A project like that is several steps above their pay grade.
True they even cancelled their new RPG due to not having the funds needed.

Last edited:
WoTC needs to have those sale numbers and Larian can do that.

It's not only CRPG it's also tabletop gaming and introducing new people to it to get some loop going on and maybe extend the franchise.
They are in direct competition with Paizo, editor of Pathfinder who had a huge success with Pathfinder:Kingmaker and has another game in preparation.

Also, the original BG has a lot of humor sprinkled throughout as well. While the main story tries to put on a serious face, if you explore you'll note that many NPCs have something stupid or quirky to say. There are even moments of self-awareness here and there. Obviously it's not in your face all the time and more subtle. In that sense, Larian is a good (even though they like to break the 4th wall in their games often) and so far I'm liking the darker story (even though most of the companions are meh). Let's see what Act 2 brings.

It's frequently goofy as hell. I mean… have people forgotten Minsc and Boo? The idea that BG1 & 2 were these super serious games and Larian is going to come in and, ugh, ruin it with humor, well, either those people saying that have never actually played 1&2 or they are being very selective with what they remember.

I haven't played BG 1 & 2, only the NWN 1 & 2 and others, so I may have missed that.

To be clear, I'm not against humour, on the contrary! It would be very dry otherwise. It's just that the type of humour in D:OS, or sometimes in BG3, is far on the side of silly (the goblin male and the troll female doing their thing spring to mind - it's funny in a way but so out of place). But I know I'm picky when it comes to humour, I believe there are different styles and they don't mix well.

It's not only humour in D:OS, it's the style. You have those characters heaving up and down in combat, as if they were dancing; the silly stealth-in-a-barrel, the ridiculous model shapes, and so on. It clearly doesn't take itself seriously, on purpose, and it's fine... for a little while, but those are quite long games, and there are already two instalments of them. I'm glad it's not the same level for BG3 in general.

I don't recall that heavy humour or the "ridiculousness" style in any of the Bioware or Obsidian titles, but perhaps it's just selective memory ;)

Regarding humor: one example is that book you can find in BG3, which is just the kind of humor that was used in the original games. You'll know what I mean if you have found the book. You can also see the spoiler if you don't care about spoilers (please don't if you haven't played the EA).

The humor used in BG3 is comparable to the original BG games - not to D:OS games.

I still think the humor was a lot more understated in the original BG games, and it's a lot more Larian/slapstick in this new BG3. Larian can't help but Larian. That's why you have rooms full of exploding barrels and stacking environmental effects, which I'm sure is absolutely hilarious to at least one member of the development team. (Haha, instant party death because you didn't know that room would explode, did you? Haha. Hilarious.)

Seems my wish of an easy mode for the dice rolls will get implemented.:celebrate:

Early Access Reveals Players Are Horny, Evil, and Frustrated by RNG - IGN
We opted to just go pure RNG for the initial release in early access just to see what was going to happen,he explains. We see the people that have really bad luck, and they are really, really angry over it. So, we're going to help them. We're going to add modes to the game that are going to go with things like a loaded die, and that's going to be a bit more manageable. We'll still keep the option of having full RNG in there. We'll experiment with that throughout early access, and see what we should make the default option. That's one of the things that will be driven by the analytics.

Back
Top Bottom