BG3 Baldur's Gate 3 News Thread

Baldur's gate 3
Agreed, it had nothing to do with it being DnD or BG, it was just an incredibly good game. They are a massively well regarded studio ever since the D:OS games, and the snowball just keeps growing as they keep making a better game every time. I'd wager their next game will sell more than BG3, and will be neither DnD nor BG.
You’d “wager their next game will be neither DnD nor BG”? Not really a wager in my view since they said they wouldn’t do it.

Indeed, the wager part is where I say that it will sell more than BG3, everyone knows it won't be BG or DnD as they announced it themselves, so that's taken for granted.

The DOS games, marketing, awards, almost universal praise by every major gaming site and the fact that it was just a damn good game is what got it to 15 mil. It definitely didn’t ride the coattails of BG and DnD.
I agree with the first part there, but it's a little naive to think it being D&D and having BG in the title didn't contribute to those 15M in sales. It absolutely did without a doubt.

I agree with the first part there, but it's a little naive to think it being D&D and having BG in the title didn't contribute to those 15M in sales. It absolutely did without a doubt.
When I say it didn’t ride BG and DnD coattails, I mean I don’t believe that was the driving force behind it’s success, not that BG and DnD had no impact at all.

I was replying to a post that said it had a profound effect. I don’t believe it did.

I actually agree when it comes to the BG part, but I do think D&D played a big role. D&D grew quite a bit during covid, making the timing perfect for BG3.

I would say that at best, there was equal mutual benefit in that DnD also grew significantly thanks to Larian making BG3 as good as it was. It's impossible to quantify, but I know a bunch of people who played DnD for the first time in their life to go through Descent into Avernus 5e campaign because canon-wise that was the story arc preceding BG3's story.

Covid confinement aided to it all, for sure. Bears keeping in mind that Larian had already doubled their sales from DOS1 to DOS2 while not having anything to do with DnD, wiith 94-95 scores on Metacritic, and being already globally regarded as the best CRPG makers of the moment.

BG3's success was a combination of things:

- The popularity of D&D.
- The promise of a computer D&D game that was actually good for a change.
- The market value of the Baldur's Gate name.
- Larian's reputation as a proven developer of RPGs.
- Nostalgia.
- And most of all, the game itself is really excellent.

Last edited:
Is it sorry the article was in my daily feed and I just copied it to the site.
Personally I hate pay walled sites.:cm:

Is it sorry the article was in my daily feed and I just copied it to the site.
Personally I hate pay walled sites.:cm:
Copy the hyperlink and paste it into the top textbox on this webpage: https://archive.ph/

Bye bye paywalls!

Btw it doesn’t always work; sometimes the website is down for me

More awards for the game to add to the pile won already.

Some people are really hopeless. 😂
The space bar is quite hard to miss on a keyboard...
Hm... I'm thinking hard about whether I should try to make a joke about not having hands free for the space bar...

Last month, Larian announced that it's going to "move away from D&D", and suddenly the future of Baldur's Gate seemed a lot murkier. The smash success of Baldur's Gate 3 has firmly revived the classic RPG series, but without Larian to continue to shepherd it, what can we actually expect from any possible sequels or spin-offs?

It's a question Hasbro, owner of Wizards of the Coast and by extension D&D, is in the process of figuring out an answer to. Following yet more success for Baldur's Gate 3 at the BAFTA awards, I talked to Eugene Evans, senior vice president of Digital Strategy and Licensing for Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast, about where the series goes from here. The good news is, a sequel is very much on the cards—but the company is still exploring its options when it comes to what that looks like and what developer might get to create it, and it could still be a long way off.

"We're now talking to lots of partners and being approached by a lot of partners who are embracing the challenge of, what does the future of the Baldur's Gate franchise look like?" says Evans. "So we certainly hope that it's not another 25 years, as it was from Baldur's Gate 2 to 3, before we answer that. But we're going to take our time and find the right partner, the right approach, and the right product that could represent the future of Baldur's Gate. We take that very, very seriously, as we do with all of our decisions around our portfolio. We don't rush into decisions as to who to partner with on products or what products we should be considering."

Back
Top Bottom