Bethesda Softworks - Changing Approach to Single Player

Co-op in Skyrim? Who would be the DragonBorn then?
That is the point when it turns PvP?

My only grip with co-op it is they tend to be Story-light and the quest are repetitive and a bit on the grind side.

But if any conversation that includes the words, "Dark Souls" is unacceptable, then I'd just say that Elder Scrolls needs better combat that is harder and more challenging and motivates the player to seek out gear, spells, and other abilities because they actually matter.
Thanks as Dark Souls happens to be one of my trigger words.:biggrin:

Co-op in Skyrim? Who would be the DragonBorn then?
That is the point when it turns PvP?

My only grip with co-op it is they tend to be Story-light and the quest are repetitive and a bit on the grind side.

In my view, co-op would work just fine and quite easily if the host's story and progress are the focus whereas other people in the host's world are just there to assist. In the case of Skyrim, this would mean that the host remains the Dragonborne and other players would just be regular "Joes" there to help out.

I'm thinking Fallout 3 might be the last true old school designed rpg that Bethesda ever makes. It seems like they are going to further simplify their games, and also put their main focus on games with multiplayer-co op route. That way, they can still claim, "this is single player!" but it will actually be mainly designed for co-op play.

I say this based on the new Fallout 76 game, which is basically this sort of thing. And might be a good representation of things they are going to do in the future, and what they mean by re-thinking the single player experience.

I am not a fan of co-op games. It also worries me that larian may be heading down that same path with their next games, since they emphasized it so much with DOS 2.

Single player games, designed as single player from the ground up, this is what I'm interested in.

I completely understand. I too do not want every game to be a Dark Souls clone. But if we isolate the combat mechanics only, it's that aspect alone that I'd love to see translated into a sandbox cRPG. Or just something better than Skyrim combat would probably be good enough for me.

I'm thinking Fallout 3 maybe the last true old school designed rpg that Bethesda ever makes. It seems like they are going to further simplify their games, and also put their main focus on games with multiplayer-co op route. That way, they can still claim, "this is single player!" but it will actually be mainly designed for co-op play.

I am not a fan of co-op games. It also worries me that larian may be heading down that same path with their next games, since they emphasized it so much with DOS 2.

Single player games, designed as single player from the ground up, this is what I'm interested in.
100% agree guess this video was a fluke from Bethesda.:nod:

100% agree guess this video was a fluke from Bethesda.:nod:

Yea, it is not good. I don't think this is promising or good news at all, from my point of view.

But, that said, my quote is a little different now…I changed the clumsy wording at the start, and also added a bit more explanation. You quoted my post too fast! :lol:

Don't worry about it though. :)

In my view, co-op would work just fine and quite easily if the host's story and progress are the focus whereas other people in the host's world are just there to assist. In the case of Skyrim, this would mean that the host remains the Dragonborne and other players would just be regular "Joes" there to help out.

Yes, I can see where you are coming from.

But I am not sure everyone knows 2 or 3 guys who are volunteers to play second fiddles during a 60-80 hour RPG game, aka Ego-trip game, where essentially the story would be spoiled for them and you are the only one who gets the riches and the hot girls in the end.

Yea, it is not good. I don't think this is promising or good news at all, from my point of view.

But, that said, my quote is a little different now…I changed the clumsy wording at the start, and also added a bit more explanation. You quoted my post too fast! :lol:

Don't worry about it though. :)
Sorry about that.:blush:

Anyway after reading recent interviews it sounds like Co-op, or like I said above type of live service. Something like the Ubisoft model were a game is a service with content.

They already have the creation club which is the first step.

But I am not sure everyone knows 2 or 3 guys who are volunteers to play second fiddles during a 60-80 hour RPG game, aka Ego-trip game, where essentially the story would be spoiled for them and you are the only one who gets the riches and the hot girls in the end.

It wouldn't be hard to implement some kind of reward system to motivate other people to help out with some random person's game.

Bethesda said:
Changing Approach to Single Player

I doublethink this blackwhite with bellyfeel!

That said, Bethesda games are so big and (usually) boring that it would be nice to play them with other people around. Multiplayer has long been a wish of many Elder Scrolls players which Bethsoft shut down in the past whenever its been modded.

But if any conversation that includes the words, "Dark Souls" is unacceptable, then I'd just say that Elder Scrolls needs better combat that is harder and more challenging and motivates the player to seek out gear, spells, and other abilities because they actually matter.

Mentioning dark souls is always acceptable.:biggrin:

How old is your son? If he's not too young, then FO76 is probably going to be quite similar.

16, yep fo76 is on his radar.

Dark souls, dark souls, dark souls......:p

Irony is all of Bethesda's other studios produce better quality games, than their 'own'...they're simply too niche or don't stand out as much in the market. I doubt that adding MP would make that big a difference ( in sales).

Ya'll are mentioning quests as a big roadblock to co-op gameplay... it's no big revelation that Bethesda quest design has been more and more simplistic with each iteration of their games. A game where 99% of the game world is radiant quests is probably only a couple iterations away... and there goes your roadblock.

Dark souls, dark souls, dark souls……:p
I WARNED YOU …….

1127604821560070722.jpg

NOW CROM DEMANDS YOUR Death.:cm:

Ya'll are mentioning quests as a big roadblock to co-op gameplay… it's no big revelation that Bethesda quest design has been more and more simplistic with each iteration of their games. A game where 99% of the game world is radiant quests is probably only a couple iterations away… and there goes your roadblock.

Who needs quests or interesting npcs/places? Use your own imagination!

Who needs quests or interesting npcs/places? Use your own imagination!
Not really funny as I hear that reason used by Bethesda fans on the internet. Seems it's all about exploring the game world, and making your own story as you play.

In your own head by the way not panhandled by quests or a games narrative. Don't bring up cut-scenes either as you will have a internet lynch mob after you.:biggrin:

I'm thinking Fallout 3 might be the last true old school designed rpg that Bethesda ever makes. It seems like they are going to further simplify their games, and also put their main focus on games with multiplayer-co op route. That way, they can still claim, "this is single player!" but it will actually be mainly designed for co-op play.

I say this based on the new Fallout 76 game, which is basically this sort of thing. And might be a good representation of things they are going to do in the future, and what they mean by re-thinking the single player experience.

Yeah I remember them saying that Morrowind only had like 15% of their role playing system in it, but now it must be like 8%.You are right about Larian they are obsessed with co-op. The funny thing is that Larian did a survey of their own customers and co-op was like the least i,port feature of the game to them. But they think if they have it, they will sell quantities like the games focused solely on battlegrounds and co-op which is idiotic.

I think he is referring to how they can make single player games more community focused. I have an idea about that. How's this:

*People can link their game to their friends and can opt out if they want to.
*Linked games have the same locations for items and other loot, same for specific enemies.
*Linked games will have the same puzzles in the same places.
*Allow replays of your friends fights if you are curious how they fought a certain enemy or certain quests.
*Allow dark souls like notes but instead of notes you can have voice samples.
*all these things can be reset and the game randomized if people want to play again later.

That is all I can think of for now.

Back
Top Bottom