Oblivion BETTER OBLIVION IS READY FOR YOU

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Dave Allen

Watchdog
I’ve put together this Oblivion mods package for two groups of people – the guys who backed away in disgust after spending hours modifying Oblivion only to find something later that made it almost impossible to continue playing. And you newcomers to Oblivion - who are sure to meet a similar fate.

You’ve heard, or know from firsthand experience, that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion can be a much better game when modded. Over 30,000 mods at Nexus Mods attest to the fact. You want a Better Oblivion.

Here is where I step in.

I am going to show you how I install my mods. I am not going to tell you the logic behind everything I am doing – why I am doing it this way. I will be your trainer, rather than your teacher. I will simply take you, step-by-step, through the process of creating a modified installation of Oblivion. Your job will be to imitate me exactly. Imitation is the simplest and easiest way to learn. After we are done, you will have a very stable, modded Oblivion and you will be able to add your own mods.

I will supply all the mods and resources you need to install. All the mods I’ve chosen work in harmony, improve the quality, and make Oblivion more fun for me. To find out what each mod does, and who did the hard work of creating and updating it, please read the “Treasure Chest” document included in this package. I did not include any mods that change the original difficulty or means of surviving, and hopefully thriving, in the world of Tamriel. I did not include any mods that add new NPCs or quests, new equipment or items, new buildings or locations. Two mods were specifically included - “Sneaking Detection Recalibrated” and “Advanced Alchemy” – to enhance my character, D’espar. He is a custom class I created called a Shaddict. He loves to move like a ghost; to kill and steal. And D'espar has two hobbies - making and abusing drugs.

To continue - dl the "manual".

Want to know more about the mods included - dl the "treasure chest".

Desire to chase your dreams wherever they take you - dl the "...the whole hog including the postage".

Thank you, RPG WATCH.

Last edited:
Hey mate, this sounds a bit dodgy. Nobody is going to be downloading a random file from mediafire. If this is a geniune mod why isn't it on Nexus or similar?

I checked it and it's legit. It's basically a compilation of a bunch of mods, the first two links are docx documents that explain it all.

Note, I did not virus scan each individual file listed on the last page linked, so it's always a good idea to do that when you're downloading such files from an unknown source.

Even if it doesn't have a virus I would still highly recommend people not download random files from Mediafire.

There are a bunch of mod packs on Nexus and I would recommend looking at one of them as they have a decent description of what is included and support etc. One example that is quite popular is Xanza's Modpack:

Another way of getting mod packs is Wabbajack (which does a bunch of games not just Skyrim):

edit: sorry I realised what I posted above was Skyrim not Oblivion. There are packs for Oblivion as well i.e. https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591/ and of course overhauls like OOO: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/15256.

If someone can't be bothered to put something on Nexus I would question their dedication to supporting whatever random files they have pulled together.

Last edited:
There are packs for Oblivion as well i.e. https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591/ and of course overhauls like OOO: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/15256.

If someone can't be bothered to put something on Nexus I would question their dedication to supporting whatever random files they have pulled together.
Why do you compare my installation trainer to these Nexus Mods? The first one is a 2kb .ini file and the second is a one mod mashup.

Please don't be afraid to download my trainer, or at least read the manual. It is the only way I knew to pass along the fruits of my labors. It's lovingly made for those who won't mind me holding their hand and building a stable, modded Oblivion together.

Maybe post a decent description here then? What exactly is it? What are the downloads. What do you have to do etc? The more information the better.

Just throwing up 3 links to mediafire isn't the ideal way to get the word out! :)

If you don't know what it is - dl the "manual".
You can't reasonably expect everyone to go and download a manual before even knowing what it is about. It will not work well here, and I doubt it would anywhere else. On top of that, it's apparently a .docx.

I'm a fervent believer in making it easier for everyone, so if you are looking for people's interest, you should start by giving a proper description - it's just a copy/paste away for you. :)

You can't reasonably expect everyone to go and download a manual before even knowing what it is about. It will not work well here, and I doubt it would anywhere else. On top of that, it's apparently a .docx.

I'm a fervent believer in making it easier for everyone, so if you are looking for people's interest, you should start by giving a proper description - it's just a copy/paste away for you. :)
Good Advice. Done.

You can't share the message like that. We'd only see it if we were logged into your account.
Rejected at Nexus Mods.png
Hey the good news is everyone can still enjoy my easy-to-install mod training package - where I've done all the hard work creating a BASICALLY BETTER OBLIVION - just use links on the first post. Also, I am considering with great dread and apprehension making a video of the entire training session, but I haven't seen enough interest so far to encourage that kind of effort.

Last edited:
I suggest you ask those authors for permission. No doubt you've done a lot of work, but I for one won't download it unless that's taken care of.

pibbur

Last edited:
This smells funny.

This smells funny.
It is funny in an ironic sort of way.
Over the last sixteen years I've returned to Oblivion several times, only to get bogged down in the modding process. I decided this time I would only pick well-respected mods that repaired the game (for me it is 29 mods). As I was learning how to get everything "in the green" with Wrye Bash and BOSS. I decided to make a record of how I did it and store all the mods. Then I realized this would help a lot of people, too. I didn't think of it as sharing something that wasn't actually mine. Now I do.
Perhaps a solution is to put just my documents on Nexus Mods with links to all the mods and tools I used. But that's a whole nuther problem fraught with broken links, updated mods, and (where the heck did I download that 1.6gb Qarl Texture Pack III OMOD anyway?) other issues.

It looks pretty normal to me, if you're packaging others' mods. That's standard copyright protection, if you wrote code or did any artistic work and someone did something with it, you'd be grateful your rights were respected too.

Maybe ask the one who did Bag of Tricks for Pathfinder Kingmaker, it's a pack that includes a lot of mods, they must have gone through the same process.

It looks pretty normal to me, if you're packaging others' mods. That's standard copyright protection, if you wrote code or did any artistic work and someone did something with it, you'd be grateful your rights were respected too.

Maybe ask the one who did Bag of Tricks for Pathfinder Kingmaker, it's a pack that includes a lot of mods, they must have gone through the same process.
I get it - I'll just enjoy what I've created for myself.
I did look at Bag of Tricks and the author claims "All the assets in this file belong to the author, or are from free-to-use modder's resources." Not what I'm claiming. In my document I give each mod all the credit to the creator of it, and I am not interested in doing anything more than that.

I get it - I'll just enjoy what I've created for myself.
I did look at Bag of Tricks and the author claims "All the assets in this file belong to the author, or are from free-to-use modder's resources." Not what I'm claiming. In my document I give each mod all the credit to the creator of it, and I am not interested in doing anything more than that.
That's really up to you. :) The copyright laws are there to protect authors; before 1989 it wasn't automatic and they had to include a copyright, which is why we see many old books distributed freely and used in all sort of applications (I know that law from old HP calculators' code being used in many emulators). But since then it's automatic in most countries. You have to understand that NexusMod has enough visibility to worry about that, so they are just being cautious to prevent their website from being shut off.

Maybe some or most of the authors have put licencing terms since it's customary, in which case I think it's just the matter of respecting them (it's often just giving due credit). If it's only a copyright or nothing at all, then you have to ask the author his permission to include his work. Well, you may risk not asking if there is no copyright notice but NexusMod will not take that risk.

Unfortunately, if there is no way to contact the author ("orphan work") or if they don't answer, it doesn't grant you the use of their work, which is very annoying.

You know I miss the old-days of modding when everything was free game to use. Nowadays modders want cash, and due to other factors there work is now licensed.

Bethesda and Steam made it worse due to how they restrict mods nowadays.
Why can you not share mods that people made and uploaded for free?

The Steam Subscriber Agreement states that any file uploaded to the Workshop becomes a licensed item.

This means that if you upload a thing to the Steam Workshop (and not to other places), people will never be able to freely share this thing with each other again. People will forever be forced to go through Steam directly to get it.

This effectively means that Valve is able to corner a lot of user generated content (mods/saves/contraptions/missions/etc) on their platform because users do not upload (or are not able or knowing to upload) their content anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom