BG3 BG3 General Talk

Baldur's gate 3
I only started to feel a slight hint of frustration/boredom after I hit level 12, when you stop leveling. This surprised me. It's tough watching thousands and thousands of XP get flushed down the toilet. I'd easily be level 14 by now. I'll never say "it's just about the story" again, because clearly progression matters to some extent. At least for me.
Hopefully Larian will tweak the leveling curve. Maybe for the inevitable definitive edition.

Last edited:
It's level scaling that makes my near-Godlike character feel rather ordinary. When a clerk in some random building in the city of Baldur's gate can basically solo the first 2 acts of the game, the illusion of power becomes apparent and leveling, pointless.
Yes, I had something similar yesterday when the kitchen ladies started to summon elememtals. :D

Honestly I long ago stopped trying to make sense of level progression in computer RPGs. It simply doesn't make sense to go from greenhorn to demi-god in the span of a few weeks.

Yes, I had something similar yesterday when the kitchen ladies started to summon elememtals. :D

Honestly I long ago stopped trying to make sense of level progression in computer RPGs. It simply doesn't make sense to go from greenhorn to demi-god in the span of a few weeks.
In theory a suspension of disbelief mechanic should start apply for "level up greenhorn to demi-god in the span of a few weeks", because mostly all RPG if not all works that way.

The kitchen ladies summoning elementals without any clear explanation, seems hint that the game use a bit of enemy scaling not very well done, or just screwed up the design of the detail.

I didn't knew the game had any enemy scaling, so it's probably more a non clean design detail. With an enemy scaling system, it's one of the major known problem, wait end game to clean the tutorial rat cave and you get rats stronger than dragons, this is clearly a problem.

Hopefully Larian will tweak the leveling curve. Maybe for the inevitable definitive edition.
Without any enemy scaling system, I don't see how they can tune it. A lot of stuff is optional, you can't request that a large majority of players did a large part of it.

Enemies level 8 in act III can't be because the dev expected party was at level 8. In Act III you can do many stuff in different orders, how decide what will be for level 10, 11 or 12? And previous chapters involve even more problems.

With games as DOS1&2 it was targeted by creating a linear path following the enemies scaling, with BG3 not only the population target is quite different, but also the game is at a totally other level than DOS, and create even an approximate linear path seems very difficult.

So some tuning perhaps, a significant change I wonder how without any enemy scaling.

I think it would help if they give just less XP, so that the average player doesn't reach max level after 70% of the playthrough, but after 90%.

I think it would help if they give just less XP, so that the average player doesn't reach max level after 70% of the playthrough, but after 90%.
It's the price of freedom.

There's no scaling, so the player needs to reach the appropriate level to face the mandatory 'bosses' at several points in the game. As long as it's possible to backtrack and gain more XP for a player who hasn't enough, it's fine, but it's not possible to go back after some events in acts 2 and 3.

They can add enough content of varied level requirement everywhere to work around the problem, to offer a richer experience, and to make backtracking more optional, but that means two players could have quite a different XP at the end.

Unless you make everything mandatory, all fights optional, or introduce scaling, I think there's no avoiding it. And neither of those options are better than some idling at level 12.

Maybe they could adjust the rewards depending on the current XP to make sure the player reaches the end of act 3 not too long after levelling up, but it sounds tricky to do without knowing how many quests and fights the player will do in the future. The rewards would be all over the place, so would be the levelling ups, and that could feel odd.

Yes, of course it's difficult to balance. But they already have some kind of calculation for the expected moment of reaching max level. I would now perhaps just shift this moment a little more towards end game (by giving less XP before).

I don't think it'll be problematic. In my current run I left out quite some content but still I reached max level before having to fight the big bosses (Raphael, Cazador, Orin, and Gortash).

Last edited:
I understand, but that would force some players to play more than what they want to. Though if you left a lot of content, maybe it's really off.

Not that it's completely wrong - what's the point of only playing a little of a great game? ;)

I just finished with my Githyanki Gloomstalker Ranger. I enjoyed the game and will try an elven paladin next. I loved the Githyanki story and have loved them since the Fiend Folio.

One complaint I have is that for such a large and long game they needed more iconic D&D creatures. It's the best part of D&D. Everyone does goblins, I think the first area should have been gnolls or kobolds. I don't remember any giants other than ogres and no Ropers or Chimeras.

Maybe I missed a few areas but load it up with the D&D bestiary. This isn't Skyrim :)

Ahahaha.... so this is my mighty force against the biggest threat the Sword Coast (perhaps) has ever faced. Nine-Fingers thugs (which could be ok), a wimpy Bard and a flying miniature elephant. :D

Viconia's Sharites didn't show up. I have no idea why.

So that's what you get when you're a racist asshole. Nice.

Okay I finished my first playthrough yesterday and think the game needs a Core difficulty level for those used to D&D rules. It should have less XP per encounter so that you only reach lvl 12 toward the end of Act 3. Camp supplies should be 40 per camp follower. That would add up quite quickly and reduce rest spam. Also more restrictions should apply, so less house rules and more D&D rules.

Also I would like the ability to make a custom party from the start of the game. I want to create a party of barbarians exactly the way I want them. Hirelings + magic mirror is okay but Withers voice for everything is dumb and having the party from the start of the game makes it more immersive for me. Icewind Dale did it, I can pretend my party got abducted. Its very easy to justify role playing wise.

Okay I finished my first playthrough yesterday and think the game needs a Core difficulty level for those used to D&D rules. It should have less XP per encounter so that you only reach lvl 12 toward the end of Act 3. Camp supplies should be 40 per camp follower. That would add up quite quickly and reduce rest spam. Also more restrictions should apply, so less house rules and more D&D rules.

Also I would like the ability to make a custom party from the start of the game. I want to create a party of barbarians exactly the way I want them. Hirelings + magic mirror is okay but Withers voice for everything is dumb and having the party from the start of the game makes it more immersive for me. Icewind Dale did it, I can pretend my party got abducted. Its very easy to justify role playing wise.
Yeah, I agree completely. It can be done by opening four clients of the game, starting a multiplayer game with one of them, and have the three others join in a LAN game (I set up my most recent game like that), but that's an absurd way to set it up.

And yes, I know the originals also had people go through hoops, but those didn't have respecs, hirelings etc. This just seems so unnecessary.

This has been quite the journey you've been on @Morrandir - thankyou for sharing it, I've found it very entertaining.
Thanks for letting me know!

And now it's finally over. The end was really perfect for this playthrough:
After defeating the Netherbrain Drow Tav could do the drowest thing and just backstab his former "ally".
Well, now the Drow rule (together with this sneaky vampire ascendant Astarion, who forgot to properly dress as a Drow in this cutscene, for which he will be punished accordingly).

All in all a really good experience. It's quite well possible to play evil and the game mostly reacts quite well.

But now I feel kind of dirty. Need to start my goodie Bard playthrough now. :D

Last edited:
Ahahaha.... so this is my mighty force against the biggest threat the Sword Coast (perhaps) has ever faced. Nine-Fingers thugs (which could be ok), a wimpy Bard and a flying miniature elephant. :D

Viconia's Sharites didn't show up. I have no idea why.

So that's what you get when you're a racist asshole. Nice.
But if you played a bad guy, why did you free that elephant thingy? :devil:

But if you played a bad guy, why did you free that elephant thingy? :devil:
Because I didn't play a character whose personality is just being "evil". He was only a pragmatic, powerhungry, racist, ruthless guy. Freeing him didn't cost anything and it's never a bad thing to have someone who owes you a favor to. (Also I could clean up the journal a bit with little effort. ;))

I started again yesterday and I'm now more than 90 hours into the game. I think I am getting quite close now, with only a few more large battles ahead and only one or two big quests.

As I am planning to replay as Astarion, I am going to keep that entire questline blank for my next playthrough.

In the past five hours or so I completed the House of Hope which is probably one of the most atmospheric areas in the game. I really found it well done. It's quite short, but it's much better in its method than the Iron Throne even though it has a similar need. I feel they should have done that (i.e. tons of enemies) rather than a timer in the latter one.

I managed to get to Minsc too finally, but as I never played the first two games, I have no affinity towards him at all. I just made him into an ally and will leave him in camp now.

My next quests are :

• Ansur the Dragon - who I am not sure how to get to yet
  • Kill Orin
  • Kill Gortash
  • Endgame? - I think

All in all, still enjoying the game but I do think the break with Battle Brothers helped as I was getting a bit tired of running around a couple of weeks ago.

As I am planning to replay as Astarion, I am going to keep that entire questline blank for my next playthrough.
I suggest you to reconsider. When you play as an Origin character you miss all their special dialogues. Astarions voice acting is outstanding (as you might already have experienced), so you would really miss out something.

My suggestion would be to do his personal quest in this playthrough.

I'm kind of surprised at the continued interest that many are showing in BG3 replays... I played EA a lot but after 1 playthrough of the complete game, my second stalled near the end. I did all companion quests and finished all major/minor area quests in my 1st playthrough (incl Creche etc) and explored every nook and cranny. I was pretty thorough - maxed out to level 12 early in Act 3 (without any grinding). In my second playthrough (on Tactician vs Normal on 1st) I saw some interesting variation in the outcome of the last Light inn combat (which I messed up because of Larian *stuff*) - but the rest of the game went as mostly as before, and I have simply lost interest. I remain very unhappy with Larian's 5e implementation and absolute disregard for game balance/rationality, as well as some story resolution issues and my second playthrough made this even worse, since I knew that the combat would yield up the same issues. Since combat is so frequent, being constantly irked by it, convinced me that I should stop. So I won't be trying this again unless there is a new module/DLC or the definitive version fixes stuff. Anyway, playing Cyberpunk again and thoroughly enjoying it - about to get started with the DLC.

I'm kind of surprised at the continued interest that many are showing in BG3 replays... I played EA a lot but after 1 playthrough of the complete game, my second stalled near the end. I did all companion quests and finished all major/minor area quests in my 1st playthrough (incl Creche etc) and explored every nook and cranny. I was pretty thorough - maxed out to level 12 early in Act 3 (without any grinding). In my second playthrough (on Tactician vs Normal on 1st) I saw some interesting variation in the outcome of the last Light inn combat (which I messed up because of Larian *stuff*) - but the rest of the game went as mostly as before, and I have simply lost interest. I remain very unhappy with Larian's 5e implementation and absolute disregard for game balance/rationality, as well as some story resolution issues and my second playthrough made this even worse, since I knew that the combat would yield up the same issues. Since combat is so frequent, being constantly irked by it, convinced me that I should stop. So I won't be trying this again unless there is a new module/DLC or the definitive version fixes stuff. Anyway, playing Cyberpunk again and thoroughly enjoying it - about to get started with the DLC.
I think you've answered your own question really. Anyone who isn't irked by the 5e ruleset and Larian's interpretation of it won't have issues with the combat the way you do. So basically, I enjoy the combat, I enjoy the story and I enjoy the characters.

I have also left out some key elements such as the Mountain Pass and Astarion's questline completely from my game. So next game I'll be taking up La'Ezel with me and probably Karlach for raw power + one magey character although not yet certain.

Back
Top Bottom