CD Projekt - Co-Founders Resign

"Resting" is ridiculous. I've been in business all my adult life and senior executives are ambitious, driven people. They don't "rest" - that's what holiday and long-service is for. Either these guys have been paid out (which is fair enough) or there is some sort of power struggle.

They bought 50% of Optimus share, making them the majority owner of the "merging", so they can't have been pay out. Unless they voted themselves out...

Also, the article state they are still with the company, just not acting as CEO and business dev director.

Guys, I may be completely wrong, but living in Poland, knowing Polish reality, I find it extremely unlikely, that there is another, concealed reason for those guys resigning :) I take their announcement straightforward and believe they are just tired :) Anyway, time will show :)

This company has more drama than a reality show.

That does only mean one thing : suits have now complete control over CDProjekt.
It's quite easy to understand what's going to happen now, things like this happened so many times in the past. They surely plan to follow Bioware and Beteshda steps.
I just hope Witcher2 is enough on the road to be spared by those changes.

Really, really bad news.

"Resting" is ridiculous. I've been in business all my adult life and senior executives are ambitious, driven people. They don't "rest" - that's what holiday and long-service is for. Either these guys have been paid out (which is fair enough) or there is some sort of power struggle.

No offense but I think it's more ridiculous to make generalizations and to assume that senior executives generally all share certain characteristics (of course I can't speak for Australian senior execs and maybe they are all of a special breed but...).

Anyway, at least here in Europe, it has actually become "en vogue" in recent years for people in responsible or high paying positions to take their regular leaves of absence. People then go on a trip around the world or fly into space (Richard Garriott anyone? ;) ) or get their pilot license or just do whatever may float their boat.
There is certainly a general trend among the younger generation to value (spare/leisure) time more than money because if there is one thing that money still can't buy it's time.
So for a lot of people with enough money in the bank it is naturally very tempting to take a time-out and live their lives while they're young, fit, and healthy.
I know that's what I would do as well if I'd ever make that amount of cash that's needed to quit work for some time.

As for the CD Projekt founders, of course it still may or may not be bullshit when they are saying they need some "rest" but to outright dismiss it as bullshit seems highly premature to me.
Personally, I find their reasons quite believable. These guys have obviously gone through some sort of crisis with legal and financial woes (when the White Wolf console version of The Witcher was cancelled and when it seemed like they had a choice between 1) bankruptcy or 2) Optimus etc.) so maybe they have reached a point where they just want to reap the fruits of their hard labor while they still can. Who knows?

Finally, as far as The Witcher 2 is concerned, of course this will affect the development of the game. The only question is whether the effect is going to be positive, neutral or negative.

No offense but I think it's more ridiculous to make generalizations and to assume that senior executives generally all share certain characteristics (of course I can't speak for Australian senior execs and maybe they are all of a special breed but…).

Anyway, at least here in Europe, it has actually become "en vogue" in recent years for people in responsible or high paying positions to take their regular leaves of absence. People then go on a trip around the world or fly into space (Richard Garriott anyone? ;) ) or get their pilot license or just do whatever may float their boat.

Richard Garriott…excellent example - thank you for raising it. According to Wikipedia (my edits):

On October 12, 2008, Garriott launched aboard Soyuz TMA-13…

…In an open letter on the Tabula Rasa website posted November 11, 2008, Garriott announced his plans to leave NCsoft to pursue new interests sparked by his spaceflight experiences. Later, however, Garriott claimed that the letter was forged as a means of forcing him out of his position and that he had had no intention of leaving.

So….under one month after going into space, he wrote a letter saying he was going to "pursue new interests" and then later claimed he was actually forced out.

Yes, of course executives leave and pursue other interested or take a leave of absence. In the first case, they are gone. Done. In the second, they either don't resign their positions just for a leave, or they clearly announce a strategy. For example, one of them takes leave while the other minds the shop.

Companies need direction and stability from senior executive management - people don't just wander in and out. Can I understand they might want a break? Absolutely! But the PR clearly reads differently to me. It reads they are afraid of the market reaction and want to emphasise that both (not one, both - at the same time) have resigned (not leave of absence) but are still with the company.

Of course I could be wrong. But mark my words - watch for a major change of management or strategy. ;)

Both of them went to rest at the same time ?!!? Do you really guys believe that.
And worse, I could have believed the 'rest' faery tale, AFTER their big project W2 is achieved. But before the release … that's just nonsense. NO I'm wrong, that's just full of sense. :(

It's a Google translation, if you look at the link.

Back
Top Bottom