Coronavirus (No Politics)

Just a note that A pibbur made

"Admittedly, most of the deaths happen in the elderly, and those with chronic diseases. No doubt, some of those would have died this year anyway. But that has to be the minority. You can live for years with diabetes II, hypertension and cardiopulmonary diseases."

I remember, in the UK, late Spring 2020 they interviewed an insurance man who looks at the death rate due to chronic illness. There was a view being put forward that those dying would of died anyway in the next few months so it was no big deal. His view was that the dead at that time was not a bringing forward of people who would of died over the next few months. In the Uk we have a thing called "Life Insurance" which pays out when you died - I assume that he was using data on claims. He suggested that most of these people would on average live another 4 years. I think it was a radio program.

Anyone want to died four years earlier than they should do?

I remember, in the UK, late Spring 2020 they interviewed an insurance man who looks at the death rate due to chronic illness. There was a view being put forward that those dying would of died anyway in the next few months so it was no big deal. His view was that the dead at that time was not a bringing forward of people who would of died over the next few months. In the Uk we have a thing called "Life Insurance" which pays out when you died - I assume that he was using data on claims. He suggested that most of these people would on average live another 4 years. I think it was a radio program.

Yuck.

Yes, there's a few of those around. He should probably get back to his usual business of finding ways not to pay out cover to the sick.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the current thinking is on the Danish mink variant, and perhaps it's just caution, but the hospital is sending anyone who has been in Denmark and tests positive to a special isolation unit.

As far as I understand it this is a mutated version of the virus, and there is a chance that this particular mutation may change surface markers on the virus so much that an upcoming vaccine won't work. So we don't want this one to spread in the general public. (Maybe you already know this, and I have misunderstood the question).

Another issue, not related to quarantine is that a strain which can easily transfer to and fro between humans and animals is bad news for controlling the infection. We were able to eradicate smallpox because the only host is human. For the same reason it is possible to eradicate measles and polio. But we will never be able to eradicate for instance Ebola, since there is a significant animal population containing human infectious species of that virus. This corona mutation, btw, is not necessarily restricted to minks, for all we know other animals we are more exposed to may also serve as hosts.

a pibbur who observes he these days is the bringer of bad news.

Last edited:
As far as I understand it this is a mutated version of the virus, and there is a chance that this particular mutation may change surface markers on the virus so much that an upcoming vaccine won't work. So we don't want this one to spread in the general public. (Maybe you already know this, and I have misunderstood the question).

Another issue, not related to quarantine is that a strain which can easily transfer to and fro between humans and animals is bad news for controlling the infection. We were able to eradicate smallpox because the only host is human. For the same reason it is possible to eradicate measles and polio. But we will never be able to eradicate for instance Ebola, since there is a significant animal population containing human infectious species of that virus. This corona mutation, btw, is not necessarily restricted to minks, for all we know other animals we are more exposed to may also serve as hosts.

a pibbur who observes he these days is the bringer of bad news.
Just information. Not bad news. Thanks for the clarifications. It's very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have read in the newspapers that there are scammers now telling people that they'll have to do a Coronavirus test.
And they want money for it.
Given money, they suddenly disappear.
Or, meanwhile one of two goes into the house, he lets the other one, a stealing buddy, in.

Here in the UK it is worse than that. One of our money advice websites reckons there are over 20+ scams involving Covid-19. The channels they are using include emails requesting money for Covid-19 information, joining fake newsletter that capture your details and your PC (ransomware), super cheap holiday deals and so on. If it says Covid-19 and asks for money or any personal details be paranoid - do not communicate with these thieves.

On a more worrying note there have been reports of door-to-door scams. You know - do your shopping for you, disinfect your drive and Covid-19 home testing. Call the police but do not open the door. Or "accidently" set your car or intruder alarm off.

If you don't know the people personally assume that they are trying to screw you.

Double-post time since we have two threads on this topic.:p

Another vaccine that isn't ready yet from Moderna's is 94.5% effective according to company data they released. So a little more promising then Pfizer's. So good news.

Link - https://www.npr.org/sections/health-…clinical-trial

The real benefit is that the Moderna vaccine can be distributed at a temperature of 'only' -20c, as opposed to Pfizers' at -75c. It also has a far longer "shelf life" of thirty days, compared to five for the other. Very good news indeed - a vaccine is only as good as its efficacy at actually being administered to a large enough majority of a population.

Yep and the good news is they are able to ship about 20 million doses in the U.S by the end of the year, and next year around 500 million to 1 billion doses worldwide.

Yep that's a sudden increase from the 90% from last week.<_<

I look forward to reading the conspiracy theory's why.:biggrin:

90%, 94.5%, 95% - it's all preliminary results anyway. But somehow I believe (not sure how rational it is) that with 2 vaccines promising >90% efficacy, there's an increased chance that at least one of them in the end will perform close(r) to 90%.

a pibbur who is less pessimistic now, which can be interpreted as being slightly optimistic (at least more optimistic than he normally is - which is not optimistic at all).

Some more information about the danger of covid-19.

I watched a press conference from Sweden yesterday, It appears that during the first half of 2020, Covid-19 caused 10% of all deaths in Sweden (5500 of 51000 deaths). It was the third leading cause of death in Sweden. Sweden had a very high number of deaths during this period, but there were other countries with even more deaths (per million citizens), for instance Belgium. I suppose the relative importance of covid-19 deaths were just as high in those countries. It shows how bad this can be if we let the virus get out of control. More info can be found here, DE24 news: (https://www.de24.news/ch/ch/2020/11/covid-19-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-sweden.html)

I showed how the Corona virus was the most important cause of death by single-germ infections. More people die now from covid-19 than from the previous number 1: Tuberculosis. This may leave the impression that germs like the tuberculosis bacterium (and HIV and the malaria parasite) aren't that dangerous. However. these infections can all be treated quite efficiently. Without treatment, millions more would have died, far more than currently are killed by covid-19.

On a side note, since those other diseases can be treated, their numbers of casualties are unnecessarily high, many of the patient dying could have been saved.

One more thing, a thing that we don't know much about: long-term effects. Some patients suffer from fatigue, weakness and feeling of sickness for months after they're out of the infection. Complications from other internal organs have been reported. But many viruses never leave the body. One obvious example is the varicella virus, responsible for chickenpox. That virus remains in the nervous system, and may years after break out again, now as the disease called shingles. This is a quite common complication. Measles virus may also remain in the body, and may much later result in SSPE (Subacute Sclerosing PanEncephalitis), a slowly developing inflammation of the whole brain. Quite lethal, but fortunately very rare, 1 of 10000 people infected by measles are estimated to develop this slow virus infection. Admittedly, complications like this are (AFAIK) rare for most viruses. Still, it's something it will take years to find out for a new virus like this one.

a pibbur who knows at least some of the things he just wrote.

PS. One more thing about the vaccine. This vaccine is rushed, normally it takes years to develop a new vaccine, here it takes around 1 year to complete development and testing. Part of the accelerated development is due to resources spent and new, faster techniques, but not all of it. It will be a candidate for emergency use authorization, which, given the current situation makes sense. All this means that we don't know as much about for instance side effects than we do for other vaccines. Big question: Should you take it? I think you should. Next big question: Will I take it and recommend it to my family? Without doubt, YES. DS.

I might be getting a dose next month, on account of being a member of The Illuminati. If that occurs, I shall report any interesting side effects.

Moved the last part of the thread to P&R.

Back
Top Bottom