C2077 CP2077 Adventuring Journals [spoilers]

Cyberpunk 2077
Figured I'd create a thread similar to the ones we've had for Elden Ring, so as not to spam the Currently Playing thread with constant updates.

I'm having fun exploring, pretty much the thing I like the most to do in these games.
In the intro phase of the game I couldn't understand what the golden 'i' means on some of the item, but apparently they're iconic weapons?
Something like this:
EYHq3C0.png

Does anyone know why exactly these don't cost anything and can't be sold? Any lore reason why a merchant would just give me a weapon for free?

The other thing I found out while exploring, and this turned out to be pretty disappointing, is that they apparently really don't want you exploring outside of where you're supposed to.
I tried to get out of the building V's apartment is in, not by going down the elevator, but by trying to get down into the building's interior space. The one you can see from the high floor you're apartment is at.
This one:
View: https://i.imgur.com/3ctGqYN.jpeg

There doesn't seem to be a way to get down, but somehow I jumped from a certain point and managed to not die upon hitting one of the lower edges. See screenshot:
View: https://i.imgur.com/kxmirZa.jpeg

Well, seems there's a trigger there that apparently I missed, because the moment I try to move along the edge I just landed on, the game just kills me outright.
I'm fully healed, I'm not jumping to my death. The game just decides that I'm not in a place I should be, and kills me.
I really hope the exterior-interior of this huge building is not just window dressing, and is an actual space you can explore. Otherwise it's kind of disappointing.

Last edited:
Also, my fps took a nosedive into the 40s again when I walked outside in the huge city scape.
I'll need to fiddle with my settings again, seems there's something in there that's tanking it. I've got them all on max, except for RT.
And I'm running with DLSS on Quality. At 3840x1600. On a 3080ti.
There's either something there in the setting that's tanking my fps, or the 3080ti just isn't cutting it.

I'm starting to have thoughts of stopping my playthrough again, and just waiting for one or two more card generations.
I'm sure they're not done polishing it and getting it in a better state. And considering the huge size of it, I'll likely not return to it for years, if I play it now.
So maybe I'll just play something else. After the 200 hours in Witcher 3 I still haven't returned to it. So I want to make my first playthrough count.

Yeah, I got it from that gun merchant right near V's apartment. But I didn't get it just outright, through dialogue or anything.
I entered the purchase screen and it was there among the other weapons. It's just that it was listed with that 'i' and it didn't have any price.
V did make some comment about getting a gun, right before going in there, but I didn't see any contextualization as to why the merchant gave me that particular gun.
From what I remember the item also didn't make any mention that the gun owner owed it to V, or anything. Anyway, just a minor thing I noticed.

That's just how they do with items that are given through quests. You have to find the free item in the merchant's list, but there's nothing more and, yeah, it feels a little odd. That's how I remember it anyway.

I'm starting to have thoughts of stopping my playthrough again, and just waiting for one or two more card generations.
I'm sure they're not done polishing it and getting it in a better state. And considering the huge size of it, I'll likely not return to it for years, if I play it now.
So maybe I'll just play something else. After the 200 hours in Witcher 3 I still haven't returned to it. So I want to make my first playthrough count.
Why don't you try other quality settings first, just to make sure it's related to graphics? Then you can try individual settings to pinpoint the culprit.

But from the threads in the forums, there are still a lot of issues, so maybe it's best to wait for a few days before deciding to play it now or wait for a new card?

I'm still re-downloading the game so I can't tell how it runs on my system. I didn't put all the settings to max last time I played, and I have a 1080p so maybe it helped a little, but I never felt any performance drop in 1.62. Maybe others will chime in to give their feedback.

I really hope the exterior-interior of this huge building is not just window dressing, and is an actual space you can explore. Otherwise it's kind of disappointing.
Get used to it now and shift your expectations. I remember back before the game came out, wondering along with everyone else how fully explorable the city would be. I was well aware that it would be far too big for you to be able to go everywhere (though some people seemed to think you would be able to), but I was still a bit thrown by how few interiors are accessible. You're going to run into a LOT of locked doors that can and will never be unlocked.

Once you do shift your expectations, it's fine imo. Don't try to talk to random people because they won't say anything of note, and don't try to walk into every building. That will only frustrate you and make the game feel small. It's not small, not by a long shot, but it keeps you focused toward the parts of the game where there's something to actually do. The Witcher 3 is the exact same way.

Btw, I would say that CDPR is done "getting it into a better state" at this point. I'm sure they'll fix bugs that arise in Phantom Liberty and the 2.0 patch, but other than that, this is it. This is the final form of the game.

Get used to it now and shift your expectations. I remember back before the game came out, wondering along with everyone else how fully explorable the city would be. I was well aware that it would be far too big for you to be able to go everywhere (though some people seemed to think you would be able to), but I was still a bit thrown by how few interiors are accessible. You're going to run into a LOT of locked doors that can and will never be unlocked.

Once you do shift your expectations, it's fine imo. Don't try to talk to random people because they won't say anything of note, and don't try to walk into every building. That will only frustrate you and make the game feel small. It's not small, not by a long shot, but it keeps you focused toward the parts of the game where there's something to actually do. The Witcher 3 is the exact same way.

Btw, I would say that CDPR is done "getting it into a better state" at this point. I'm sure they'll fix bugs that arise in Phantom Liberty and the 2.0 patch, but other than that, this is it. This is the final form of the game.
Thanks for the extra context. I tuned out of any CP2077 discussions shortly after its original launch, so I've a lot to discover that is probably common knowledge at this point.

Yeah, it sounds like if I want more perf improvements, I'm just going to have to wait for some new generation of cards. Or lower my settings.

Yeah, I'm waiting for a couple of new card generations. I kind of hyped myself into being excited to start this playthrough, but honestly I'm in no hurry.
And to be even more honest, the moment I got out into the open world I suddenly felt it very daunting to start exploring this huge ball of content.
I don't know if I'm getting old, or whatever the issue is, but I'm starting to have mixed feelings about these huge games.
In theory I love the idea of having so much stuff to go through, but at a certain point, and I think this is also due to my ocd need to explore everything, it feels daunting.

Yeah, I'm waiting for a couple of new card generations. I kind of hyped myself into being excited to start this playthrough, but honestly I'm in no hurry.
And to be even more honest, the moment I got out into the open world I suddenly felt it very daunting to start exploring this huge ball of content.
I don't know if I'm getting old, or whatever the issue is, but I'm starting to have mixed feelings about these huge games.
In theory I love the idea of having so much stuff to go through, but at a certain point, and I think this is also due to my ocd need to explore everything, it feels daunting.
The game is awesome if you follow the main and side quests. You can ignore all the police assaults and all the cyberpsycho quests, which are mostly filler content. That gives you threads to follow and avoids you feeling overwhelmed.

The fake buildings and all the fake merchants in the street are a little frustrating at first, but after a while and if you stay focused on the story, you won't even notice it any more.

The other thing I found out while exploring, and this turned out to be pretty disappointing, is that they apparently really don't want you exploring outside of where you're supposed to.
The bulk of the game isn't like that at all. You can go pretty much anywhere you want. The only problem is that enemies can one-shot you if you're in an area that's too much higher than your level.

The game is awesome if you follow the main and side quests. You can ignore all the police assaults and all the cyberpsycho quests, which are mostly filler content. That gives you threads to follow and avoids you feeling overwhelmed.

The fake buildings and all the fake merchants in the street are a little frustrating at first, but after a while and if you stay focused on the story, you won't even notice it any more.
Yeah, that was my experience. You get used to it.

In big games, I always tend to bounce between major and minor stuff and Cyberpunk was no exception. I think I did all the cyberpsycho encounters, which I found fun, though I was disappointed with the (lack of) payoff at the end. It made it sound like there was going to be a quest that tied it all together and there wasn't. I didn't do nearly all of the crimes (I think there are ~150 of them) but I did maybe a third of that, and they do have nice bits of story/lore.

If you do end up playing, Danutz, I would recommend you do a healthy number of gigs, though. They're somewhere in between full on quests and the more minor crime type stuff, and a lot of them are fleshed out enough to be quite fun. It's a good chunk of the content too. I think there are around 72 gigs, not counting the ones about to be added by Phantom Liberty. Think of them as the rough equivalent to the hunts in The Witcher 3.

Also, my fps took a nosedive into the 40s again when I walked outside in the huge city scape.
I'll need to fiddle with my settings again, seems there's something in there that's tanking it. I've got them all on max, except for RT.
And I'm running with DLSS on Quality. At 3840x1600. On a 3080ti.
There's either something there in the setting that's tanking my fps, or the 3080ti just isn't cutting it.
What CPU do you have? Upper 40's is perfectly playable imo.

I wasn't planning on reinstalling it anytime soon, but now I might just out of curiosity to see how it runs for me.

It finally got installed. And I forgot how annoying launching this game was, having to press space and ESC multiple times.

If you do end up playing, Danutz, I would recommend you do a healthy number of gigs, though. They're somewhere in between full on quests and the more minor crime type stuff, and a lot of them are fleshed out enough to be quite fun. It's a good chunk of the content too. I think there are around 72 gigs, not counting the ones about to be added by Phantom Liberty. Think of them as the rough equivalent to the hunts in The Witcher 3.
I second that, the gigs are very well made.

I did the cyberpsycho and the NCPD interventions to pass the time and switched back to the main quest and gigs when it started to feel repetitive, and I found it was easy to find the right balance like that. Sometimes, you have to wait a little in a few quests, and you can just wait (by sleeping) or do some filler content.

What CPU do you have? Upper 40's is perfectly playable imo.

I wasn't planning on reinstalling it anytime soon, but now I might just out of curiosity to see how it runs for me.
Ryzen 9 5950x.

What's annoying about the 40s is that I'm also feeling input lag when moving the camera. I do have vsync enabled.

It's funny. When you load an old game, you have the choice to play like that or reset your character to redistribute the perks.

I'm surprised there's no 3rd-person view except in vehicles though. I'm pretty sure I could switch between 1st and 3rd before; it's apparently only a mod that allows that.

It's funny. When you load an old game, you have the choice to play like that or reset your character to redistribute the perks.

I'm surprised there's no 3rd-person view except in vehicles though. I'm pretty sure I could switch between 1st and 3rd before; it's apparently only a mod that allows that.

No there has never been third person outside of vehicles, photomode, and cinematics. You had a mod. There was major discussions about third person view for ages before the game even came out, pretty hard to miss :p

Yeah, seems it's probably got its hooks in me. I think I'm gonna go along with the playthrough. I tinkered with the settings and got it to a stable 60 outside in the city.
And I found my new passtime. Climbing things and jumping off of building. I've focused on reflexes and cool as my main attributes, so I'm gonna be a sprinting and jumping cyberninja with a katana, assault rifle and sharpshooting rifle. Yes, I know, very mature of me. :cool:

I even managed to find out that if you dash/dodge while sprinting and just before you jump, you increase your lunge distance quite a bit. I managed to jump from the top of this building and landed and didn't die on the roof of this one.
View: https://i.imgur.com/P0ht2nJ.jpeg

Yeah, seems it's probably got its hooks in me. I think I'm gonna go along with the playthrough. I tinkered with the settings and got it to a stable 60 outside in the city.
And I found my new passtime. Climbing things and jumping off of building. I've focused on reflexes and cool as my main attributes, so I'm gonna be a sprinting and jumping cyberninja with a katana, assault rifle and sharpshooting rifle. Yes, I know, very mature of me. :cool:

I even managed to find out that if you dash/dodge while sprinting and just before you jump, you increase your lunge distance quite a bit. I managed to jump from the top of this building and landed and didn't die on the roof of this one.
From up here:
View: https://i.imgur.com/1JzcUHX.jpeg

To down here:
View: https://i.imgur.com/P0ht2nJ.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom