Dead Space

Ok, I finally installed the game this morning and played it briefly.

My first impression is one of tremendous disappointment. :(

The PC controls for game are even worse than I've heard. First off, the damn game won't even recognize any of the keys on my number pad! I like to remap all the movement and action keys to the number pad on the right side of my keyboard when I play first\third-person games. Second, the camera and mouse controls are terrible. I turned the mouse sensitivity slider all the way to maximum and it still feels very sluggish when trying to aim. Also, no option to lock the view behind you?

You can fix the PC controls with forced v sync or somthing. Or then you can just use a (xbox360) gamepad like in the console versions. The game is muchos better with gamepad I heard.

You can fix the PC controls with forced v sync or somthing. Or then you can just use a (xbox360) gamepad like in the console versions. The game is muchos better with gamepad I heard.

Vsync is already enabled. I don't see what that would have to do with the controls anyways. And I'm definitely not going to spend $40 on an Xbox gamepad just to play this game. I have a Logitech dual analog gamepad that I might try later.

You should turn off Vsync if you feel you have a sluggish unresponsiveness mouse. Vsync is default on.

Vsync is already enabled. I don't see what that would have to do with the controls anyways. And I'm definitely not going to spend $40 on an Xbox gamepad just to play this game. I have a Logitech dual analog gamepad that I might try later.

Vsync could be disabled either in your graphics card's control panel, or in the game's option. With the option disabled and using Logitech G5 mouse, i didn't notice problem with the mouse cursor. Only the mouse sensitivity need to adjust a bit, and that option available in game or through the Logitech's sensitivity buttons. I also tried with xbox360 controller and it works great as well.

I Played on the 8800gts 512 with maximum settings and the game looks great, while the z5500 produces atmospheric and disturbing monster's roaring sound! Below are couple screenshots of the game; i'm still on the early level!

The descend into hell
DeadSpace2008-11-112.jpg

The bloody showdown!
DeadSpace2008-11-11.jpg

In addition to or alternatively to the Vsync tweak which is known to have helped a lot of people, you could also try the "Oblivion tweak" which is set the "Maximum number of pre-rendered frames" in the nVidia control panel (Manage 3D settings category) to "0" (default is "3"). That fixed the sluggish controls in Oblivion. It might be worth a shot here, too.
At least it'd be better than being stubborn and saying that you don't see how x would have anything to do with y even though x is known to be a fix that worked either for others or that worked in similar situations ;) .

Remember: Nothing is impossible with computers. I will never forget how I had to activate anti-virus in the BIOS of my Asus A7V mainboard in order for the board to correctly detect my 30GB IBM hard drive. I guess that only God and maybe a couple of Asus' engineers would know the connection between these two things.

The controls do feel a bit sluggish, but they don't really bother me. They actually make things harder and more interesting. If the camera system was perfect(aka 3rd person shooter) it would be way too easy for me. And after a while you get used to it, and now I just love looking over Isaac's shoulder. :D

Anyways, I just started chapter 7, and loving every minute of it. I'm taking my time, since obviously the game isn't extremely long, although longer than most fps games nowadays.

What surprised me is that I'm actually only using 2 weapons, the first 2 weapons you find in the game, the line gun and the first weapon. I'm upgrading them, and my rig, and everything seems easy as pie. The other weapons just don't seem really efficient or useful.

I play on medium difficulty. Not sure what are the differences when playing on hard.

Already tried the vsync tweak (if you can call it that), the controls for this game are simply not up to the level that I'm used to.

The mouse and camera aren't even my biggest complaint anyways. My real gripe is the fact that this game doesn't recognize all the keys on my keyboard, that is inexcusable by today's standards.

Not going to throw Dead Space under the rug or anything. I have a feeling that those issues will probably be addressed in a patch. I have Fallout 3 to keep me busy in the meantime.

Not going to throw Dead Space under the rug or anything. I have a feeling that those issues will probably be addressed in a patch. I have Fallout 3 to keep me busy in the meantime.

That is pretty much what I did ... barely got started and have so much other stuff that it will just have to wait until after the new years.

If i hadn't had a xbox gamepad i doubt i would have finished chapter 1. I had big problem with the pc controls. But once i plugged my controller in i love it.

I really can't see a patch fix them. I got a feeling of that they where happy with what they produced. Hope i am wrong though. Its a console game gone wrong on the PC - but still manage to get my forgivness... :)

I really can't see a patch fix them. I got a feeling of that they where happy with what they produced. Hope i am wrong though. Its a console game gone wrong on the PC - but still manage to get my forgivness... :)

Trust me, there will be a patch released for Dead Space that will at least allow you to remap to all the keys. The official forums are exploding with angry left-handed players who can not play the game as it is.

Remus said:
I play on medium difficulty. Not sure what are the differences when playing on hard.

Tougher monsters and less frequent drops from them when they die seems to be about it. I got about 25% of the way through on hard then switched to medium. As a fairly light FPS gamer "hard" proved too difficult for me, but I have to say it did make a difference to the atmosphere (a lot scarier on hard where every shot from your scarce ammo supply needs to count).

Yeah, even on medium i'm careful not to waste ammo, and tried hard to accurately dismember them. But because of those concerns, plus scary background noise and the loud snarling sound on my 5.1 speaker (at 60% volume level), i'm pretty tensed especially when checking up those noises, and tend to fumbling around my xbox controller when a real thing show up...

I'm playing this game right now too. LOL, but it took me two chapters to figure out that you can 'stomp' open those boxes with the lights for goodies; no wonder it was so hard before. Pretty good game for a console port, though.

LOL, but it took me two chapters to figure out that you can 'stomp' open those boxes with the lights for goodies;

Hm, that reminds me od the Little Big Adventure featuring Twinsen ...

Since I finished Dead Space recently I decided to check out it's "prequels". I would recommend watching them after you finished the game, in the order 1. Game 2. Movie 3. Comics.

First there are 6 comic books which have been made into animated short stories. Together they are close to an hour and tell the story about Aegis 7 (the planet and the mining colony). All of them are available on gametrailers and they are all, except for the first two, in HD:

Dead Space Animated Comic: Prelude SD
Dead Space Animated Comic #1 SD
Dead Space Animated Comic #2 SD / HD
Dead Space Animated Comic #3 SD / HD
Dead Space Animated Comic #4 SD / HD
Dead Space Animated Comic #5 SD / HD
Dead Space Animated Comic #6 SD / HD

Then there's an animated movie called Dead Space Downfall that tells the story of how the spaceship Ishimura (in which most of the game take place in) arrived to Aegis 7. Here's the Trailer.

Finally there are two short stories on a website called No Known Survivors, played in a Myst-like interface. There aren't any puzzles, just interactive objects that tell a story, the first one called Misplaced Affection is about an organ replacement technician and his love relation with a P-Sec officer. The second story Thirteen, tells the story about an agent.

There were several continuity issues between the Comic, the Movie and the Game but some events of the game is explained in more detail in it's prequels. They are fun to watch if you liked the game and have the time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up on extra content. Im sure to check it out before playing!

I think you should wait until after playing. It actually makes more sense if you watch them backwards... Play the game first, then watch the movie, then watch the animated comic. The No Known Survivors games have very little in forms of spoilers.

Back
Top Bottom