Dead Space

After watching Dead Space on NetFlix (which was faintly amusing) I decided to try the game. I went through the controls tweaking (vsynch off everywhere, mouse on half sensitivity) and I'm pretty happy with the interface. The game grabs me but not that hard. I'm at the end of chapter 3 after 5 hours and I'm guessing this game will hold my interest as long as it is short. The inventory management and upgrade choices keep it interesting. My only frustration is that some of the weapons seem particularly useless, especially the Line Gun. The lighting, shounds, audio recordings and scripted sequences really define the atmosphere. When the shit hits the fan the panic of aiming and avoiding frantic ammo depletion is where its at!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, I thought Dead Space was one of the better non-RPGs I've played in recent years.

The Line Gun is the one that fires the wide horizontal laser right? That's actually a very effective weapon when upgraded. I found the Flamethrower to be the least effective.

Deadspace is one of my top games I played and finished. Really liked the atmosphere and the exploring, and story in the game. I am really looking forward to number 2. Even though it looks like its gonna be more action and only on XBOX360.

I connected a XBOX controller to the game and played it through without thinking about controller issues.

I hope the sequel is what Aliens was to Alien. :)

Yup I was wrong about the line gun. I'm in the process of beefing it up every opportunity. I'm almost done with Chapter 7. The game is way better than my initial impressions but also.... very freakin hard!

Is there a difficulty setting for FPS gimps? Something that would allow me to enjoy the atmosphere without having to worry overly much about getting stomped?

I'm looking for something on par with Bioshock1's "easy". Much tougher than that and I start struggling. I did say FPS gimp, doncha know. I've got a moral objection with strafing, so a difficulty that doesn't let me largely go sumo gets frustrating for me.

Good game (great atmosphere). One of the better FPS (part survival) I've played.
Haven't played a lot in recent years though (Stalker: SOC and now Stalker:COP are
probably my favorites along with Undying).

There is one creature that seems to require strafing because you need to hit him partly in the back. I'm playing on medium but I'm prepared to drop to easy if I have to. What I really enjoy about the game are the clever sequences and options to preserve ammo with the telekenisis which is pretty critical in this game. I know that is pretty much a Half Life ripoff, but I never felt a need to conserve in Half Life. This is more meaningful, it really rewards you for thinking. The chapters are creatively designed, you don't just kill 100 minor creatures on your way to the obligatory boss fight. There has only been one true boss fight so far (starting chapter 8). No spoilers here, but Chapter 5: Lethal Devotion was an amazing design that kept you literally on the run in terror by using a monster that was itself a sort of a puzzle. I loved it.

I clued a co-worker into it last year and he absolutely loved it. Rave review and all. He played it on his XBox and he mostly played FPS, which means he was at least moderately competent in the genre. For me, I got scared by the reports of lousy PC controls and rumors it was rather challenging. I know my limitations and I'm totally teh suxxorz at FPS. I'm decent at the tactical end of it (picking where, when, and how to attack), but the sum total of my combat repertoire is to pop out of hiding and exchange fire until one of us drops. High noon at the OK Corral, FTW. Probably the worst part of that is that I don't aspire to more--I'm perfectly content to ride my one trick as far as it takes me.

Bioshock1 let me do that on easy. Without the need to focus on strafe, strafe, strafe, I had time to really take in the atmosphere of the game, which I thought was stellar. Thus, I really enjoyed Bioshock1 in spite of it being an FPS. For that matter, the only reason I had the game in the first place is the above-mentioned coworker couldn't install it on his PC--since I had recommended the game to him in the first place, I felt a little guilty so I bought it off him and eventually installed it fer the hell o' it.

And so, to make a short story very long, I remain conflicted over Dead Space.

And so, to make a short story very long, I remain conflicted over Dead Space.

I think it's a great game, and if you're interested in it then you should definitely give it a go. I believe it's already dropped to a very low price here in Denmark - maybe it's the same where you're at.

I played it with a X360 controller on my PC, which actually felt fine for that game.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Sells for $18 in online shops here..

Bioshock is on my list, either next or after Divinity 2. I'm playing Dead Space with a mouse and keyboard because there is way too much aiming in a panic to use a controller (which I stink at). The devs clearly made the mouse a tiny bit inaccurate because it would otherwise be too easy a game. I wouldnt worry too much about the controls. Hey you can always wait another year until its under $10.

I know that is pretty much a Half Life ripoff, .

Eh? Being a big fan of both games, I have to admit that comment totally confuses me.

No spoilers here, but Chapter 5: Lethal Devotion was an amazing design that kept you literally on the run in terror by using a monster that was itself a sort of a puzzle. I loved it.

Awesome level…. the tension and anticipation had me on edge the entire time.

I do, and I've picked that one off the shelf several times (along with the Silent Hill game), but never took it to the register. My parents bought me the Metroid collection at Christmas and I was doing a horrible job trying to control everything in that game. Horrible. Like couldn't get past the first mini-boss horrible. Scared me off trying shooters on the Wii.

Besides, they also picked up Guitar Hero 5, and that sucks up all my available Wii time.

Nope on the Wii, but I plan to get it next year. For the record I'm on the 12th and final chapter of Dead Space. So keyboard+mouse is oky doky on medium. I won't lie though, there were several parts of the game that were very difficult!!!

Back
Top Bottom