Diablo 3 - Now Installing

I don't know why but I am not excited about this at all. Loved D1 and D2, but after Titan Quest and Fable, I guess I am burnt out on the old formula. Torchlight and many other Diablo clones lay bought and unplayed.... Curses...

Server connection at Australia sucked last night... hubby got epic pissed due to massive lag spikes... guess I won't get it yet then :X

Server connection at Australia sucked last night… hubby got epic pissed due to massive lag spikes… guess I won't get it yet then :X

Well currently server status for the Americas and Europe are both down for maintenance. Right during prime-time for most of North America; hopefully it will be better for your husband when that time rolls around in Australia.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/status

Edit: Back up it seems after 15 minutes blizzard-time of maintenance (1.5 hours real-world time). Getting errors at login, but that seems to be because they're over-capacity. Makes sense with European servers still down.

Glad I'm using a guest pass though; I can imagine being somewhat upset if I had purchased the game and found it mostly unplayable during the couple of hours I have available to play between work and other commitments.

Last edited:
Is D3 worth the purchase price for someone who probably won't play multi-player at all?

I'm interested in hearing some thoughts on the single-player campaign. Does it feel like a solid experience on its own? Fwiw, I enjoyed D1, but I didn't care for D2 at all.

After 7 hours of play, I'd like to amend my previous response to this. The environments are so lovely and varied (I think they held back some building blocks from the beta as I'm almost certain I'm seeing things I never saw in beta played or vids), and the way lore, books, vignettes and hireling chit chat move the story along and add context is handled so well (both of which are best enjoyed solo), I think this very well may hold up as a solid single player experience without ever delving into multi.

And the gameplay?

click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
Cool a purple!
click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

LOL! One thing I read in the QT3 review, is that the character respec system encourages tinkering and experimenting with your build/rune loadouts. I love that kind of thing. But it does ruin re-playability. Since I rarely replay, sounds like it doesn't matter for me.

My opinion is improving…. But its still too expensive, and always connected DRM is irritating.

Thanks for the impressions, chamr. I'm about to try a guest pass, courtesy of wolfgrimdark. I'll let you know what I think.

@JDR: Cool

@Thrasher: Yeah, I've pretty much given up on the idea that I'll play any class through more than once. So, from a replay standpoint, I see it as having 5 replays at most: once per class. Even so, that's a lot of gameplay.

I also really appreciate the way that they integrate Lore with gameplay. It's like having all of the codex entries from Dragon Age, only this time you actually pay attention to them.

LOL! One thing I read in the QT3 review, is that the character respec system encourages tinkering and experimenting with your build/rune loadouts. I love that kind of thing. But it does ruin re-playability. Since I rarely replay, sounds like it doesn't matter for me.

Youre not figuring in the multiple classes though. I'm going to give the witch doctor a shot this morning, and I've no doubt that I will play a lot different than my Demon Hunter. I'm just curious how they are going to handle the beginning of the game, I can see the Demon Hunter place in the story, but a primitive witch doctor?

I've put in about 5 hours, most of that single player. It's a lot of fun, no doubt about that. Yeah, the always online thing sucks, but the biggest complaint from fans of Diablo 2 was hacking, duping, cheating in general. Storing your characters on their servers solves this problem, which is great for people that want a legitimate online experience. A guy like me doesn't care so much.

The online thing does kinda suck, as we saw at launch, but it does have some advantage to it. I installed the game at work, so I can play at lunch, and my char will be there all the same. That's convenient.

I look at it like Steam, it's just the way things are headed. Bummer if your connection (or theirs!) goes out tho ='.'=

As I remember it, D2 on Battle.net was also available wherever you went as your character was on the servers for multiplayer (and if you so wished, you could create a multiplayer character, create your own game with a maximum of 1 player - i.e. you) which would be there wherever you logged in from.

There was still a singleplayer game allowed !

Youre not figuring in the multiple classes though.

Well that adds re playability but nothing like the variety of builds you could create in Diablo 2 (or Titan Quest for that matter). But, for me, it's besides the point, since the environments are basically the same.

Back
Top Bottom