Larian Do you Consider Larian an AAA game Studio?

Larian Studios Games not fitting in one of the other prefixes

Do you Consider Larian an AAA game Studio

• Yes

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
Don't give me well you don't own those games, well surprise you don't own that $100 game either. As those online stores can take away that right to play anytime they want.
You don't even own a game you bought physically. Read the EULA's. You're given a non-transferable license to use it, until such time as they decide to terminate the license. To quote the Ubisoft EULA (since it's the first one that came up on Google), and they made sure to put this sentence in all caps, "THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED TO YOU, NOT SOLD."

Still it's pretty unlikely they'd revoke your license (and that even if they did, you'd care), just like it's pretty unlikely that Steam is going to go out of business or cut your access.

Last edited:
You don't even own a game you bought physically. Read the EULA's. You're given a non-transferable license to use it, until such time as they decide to terminate the license. To quote the Ubisoft EULA (since it's the first one that came up on Google), and they made sure to put this sentence in all caps, "THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED TO YOU, NOT SOLD."
Correct your just renting a license to play said game. At least before everything went digital most games were at least offline. Now everything is connected to live services.

That's were BG3 on GOG shines and the reason why people love the developer.

No DRM and you can play offline not needing a digital service.

Poor choice of words on my half perhaps. I got most of your points the bit I didn't understand was the comparison between GTA and Elden Ring in terms of price having an impact on sales. What specifically does GTA have that Elden Ring doesn't which makes it have a different price elasticity?

In terms of AAA vs Indie I agree that there would be a limited impact though, as people only have so much free time i.e. most people can't play 50 games in a year. I'm still don't think it would have the impact you think though because the markets are so different. When you buy a Dominions 5 vs a AAA vs a Geneforge vs a Valhiem the considerations are vastly different. Some people would pay a maximum of 5 dollars for a game like Geneforge even if a AAA game cost 200 hundred dollars. There is always a perceived value as well - which also drives the maximum price you can charge. A copy and paste job like Geneforge vs a game with a solo dev who has been slaving away for 4 years with a new twist - people can and do pay 30-40 dollars even though it is a one man game.
I’ll have to just agree to disagree. I think $30 AAA games would devastate AA and indie games. Other than the most diehard spiderweb fans who is going to purchase geneforge for 30-40 if BG3 is sitting there at 30. How about hollowed knight at the same price as elden ring?

If you lower AAA to $30 you have to lower AA and indie. There’s a reason indie games don’t charge $70 now and it’s not because indie devs don’t want to make that much.

To counter my point though maybe games are so cheap at that point everyone just buys all of them. lol.

Other than the most diehard spiderweb fans who is going to purchase geneforge for 30-40 if BG3 is sitting there at 30. How about hollowed knight at the same price as elden ring?
Geneforge isn't the best example for me, since I'm not a diehard Spiderweb fan, but I'd still buy Knights of the Chalice 2 at $45 even if BG3 was $30. Doesn't really matter to me, I want to play the games I'm interested in. Whose thought process would be "well I'd really love to play KOTC2 but since it costs more than BG3, I'll just refrain on principle"?

Still, yeah, I think the indie guys would feel pressure to reduce the prices a bit. But maybe that just means they'd sell even more, and their total revenue could remain the same. Hard to say.

To counter my point though maybe games are so cheap at that point everyone just buys all of them. lol.
I'd say this is the way it is now for me. There aren't a lot of games I'm interested in playing, and I don't play a ton of games each year. So, the cost of buying all the ones I'm interested in is low enough to where I don't even care what each individual one costs.

Which is good, because talking about their 'service'... :LOL:
What else would you prefer me typing digital storefront or digital service? Same meaning. Unless you have a dirty mind? Kidding aside I should have typed it better.

Last edited:
Face the facts that in ten years games will cost close to $100 on release.
Why? I mean, they could, but they could as easily not cost that much. AAA new releases were at $60 for literally 25+ years and finally went up by $10. Why would they now go up 3x that amount in 10 years?

Still it's pretty unlikely they'd revoke your license (and that even if they did, you'd care), just like it's pretty unlikely that Steam is going to go out of business or cut your access.
That is entirely different. You don't "own" a physical game in the sense that you can't sell it as new, or claim any ownership of its contents. You do absolutely own that copy, though. Nobody is coming to your house to take it.

Companies can and do de-list digital copies of media all the time, though. I have at least a few games in my Steam library that can no longer be purchased.

I've lost access to games on Steam and even had my Ubisoft account blocked with no access to my bought games, so yes you can lose access on any digital storefront.

Anyway I'm done for now with this thread and tired of getting nitpick replies.

Back
Top Bottom