Larian Do you Consider Larian an AAA game Studio?

Larian Studios Games not fitting in one of the other prefixes

Do you Consider Larian an AAA game Studio

• Yes

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
No, their next game will be AAA. Up until Baldur's Gate 3 they were AA.

Good ol' wiki says AA is 40-100 people and AAA as anything more than that. Probably a little bit low on the headcount unless they mean FTE for the entire duration of development. 400 and 5+ years dev is without a doubt AAA territory.

Definitely AAA, but I still consider them an indie studio. To me indie is not about the budget (although most of the indie studios have a small budget), but about the independence from big fish publishers like Microsoft, Ubisoft and EA. I'm on the fence about clasifying CD Project as such, mainly because of GOG, which would make them the big fish publisher (same with Valve).

I'm on the fence about clasifying CD Project as such, mainly because of GOG, which would make them the big fish publisher (same with Valve).
CD Projekt owns both CDPR and GOG.com. So I suppose it depends more on the freedom CDPR has for developing games than the fact its parent company also owns a small publishing business.

CD Projekt has external members of the board (including the director, apparently) and shareholders, so I have no idea how much freedom they really have.

So if a team of 400+ and budget of around 100 million isn't quite there, what's the cutoff point?
Something like The Last of Us, Cyberpunk, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA, Zelda TOTK, Starfield.

That's what I like with Wikipedia. They wouldn't add Skyrim to the list of best-selling games because there's no "reliable reference" (more an internal dispute, apparently), but they would add a meaningless category which is probably a typo from one source and an attempt to impress from another.

Then they also define 'AAA+' and, maybe the answer we were looking for, 'III' (indie games that have relatively high budget, scope, and ambition).

Apparently there's AAAA concept as well. How many As will do? Aaaaah....
Ubisoft coined that phrase so yeah take it with a grain of salt.:mwahaha:

They use it to justify selling games over $70.

It's only $70+ if you purchase the Premium Edition that comes with some extra goodies.

I think the author of that article was just bored considering there have been several other games priced at $69.99 the last few years. Maybe because it's the first Ubisoft game to be priced that high, but still...

Nobody needs to defend a $70 price for a game from a large developer these days. That's what they cost. And a lot of them are worth that, considering how increasingly large and expensive to make games have become.

Skull & Bones sounds like a dud, though.

Back
Top Bottom