Fallout London - Update screwed us over

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that Dean Carter was not really amused about Fallout 4's next-gen update:

Fallout London's project lead is not taking the surprise drop of Fallout 4's update well: 'That has, for a lack of a better term, screwed us over'

Crossed wires.

Dean Carter, the project lead on Fallout London, revealed in a short interview with the BBC that Bethesda gave their team of modders no warning before Fallout 4's next-gen update, which he says "has, for a lack of a better term, screwed us over."

Originally, the "DLC-sized" mod that promises to transport Fallout 4 players to post-nuke London chose April 23 for its release because it was a "day that would work well for us, it would be after the series had come out, and also, it had related to when the in-game start date is as well being St George's Day," Carter explains.

[...]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

The title of the article is more designed as clickbait than illustrative of what he said. The BBC title is more accurate (but then it's PCGamer...).

Dean Carter did sound a little more frustrated than in the video he released right after Bethsda announced the patch, but he's mostly just surprised there's no system in place and no communication whatsoever, even after the dialogue they had with the community manager.

He's right that, FO4 having been released so long ago, those big mods give some life back to the game and benefits BGS, so it would have been smart to warn them. It's also silly from BGS to release that patch so long after the Prime series.

I hope they can recover soon and make it work. Not a good move from Bethesda, honestly, but I imagine their timing had more to do with the release of the TV show and an attempt to scoop up a bit of extra cash from people who enjoyed it than with any ill intentions towards anyone.

It's also silly from BGS to release that patch so long after the Prime series.
It was only 2 weeks, but I agree it should have been released sooner.

I actually suspect Bethesda may have put the update on the wayside and only recently decided to finish and release it because of the show and renewed interest in the IP.

It was only 2 weeks, but I agree it should have been released sooner.

I actually suspect Bethesda may have put the update on the wayside and only recently decided to finish and release it because of the show and renewed interest in the IP.
What I'm wondering is how stable their patch really is. It wouldn't surprise me if they had to iterate. I don't know if that would break the mods again, but if that's the case, those modders will sure be happy about it. ;)

Typical Bethesda as they love to screw over modders and people who buy their games. I have never seen developers or publishers updating games for ten years.

Now there are a lot of mods that will need updating once again.

Added to the fact the creation club dlc breaks mods with every update as well.

The title of the article is more designed as clickbait than illustrative of what he said. The BBC title is more accurate (but then it's PCGamer...).
Are you surprised by that as you shouldn't be. Most sites online today exist to make money and to get clicks. Their objective is not to give unbiased opinions or news.

I don't think they needed to release the patch even as soon after the show release as they did. If there must be a correlation, let the show build some new fans for the games and then provide new updates/content (or something) as a reward later. As for the modder in this case, some frustration seems like a normal reaction. I think everyone will win out in terms of results and quality in the end. Why am I saying all of this? Fuck if I know, I've never even played Fallout 4.

I really could care less about Fallout: London (or FO4 anymore), and BGS was not obligated to "work with" the team. That said, not reaching out at all was a dick move, and yet further proof that Bethesda is really not interested in being anything other than the soulless company their reputation continues to prove.

And by the way, how are we almost 9 months out from Starfield's release, with the size of their game studio, and all we have are crappy little patches every 6 weeks? WTF are they even doing over there?

And by the way, how are we almost 9 months out from Starfield's release, with the size of their game studio, and all we have are crappy little patches every 6 weeks? WTF are they even doing over there?
Remember there is nothing wrong with the game or them it's all you. I agree the patches are small and add nothing while they still haven't released offical mod support yet either.

I fear for Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 if this is how Bethesda does post support.

I don't care much about Fallout 4, I mean I have it, and will eventually play it sometime, but I am not happy that Bethesda messed up the highly anticipated mod, Fallout London. The timing was really bad too.

Now, who knows when the mod might be released.

Typical Bethesda as they love to screw over modders and people who buy their games. I have never seen developers or publishers updating games for ten years.

Now there are a lot of mods that will need updating once again.

Added to the fact the creation club dlc breaks mods with every update as well.

Yeah, curse them for continuing to improve their game 4 years after launch! They are truly the essence of all evil.

No wonder no one wants to make computer RPGs any more. We're the worst fans ever.

Yeah, curse them for continuing to improve their game 4 years after launch! They are truly the essence of all evil.

No wonder no one wants to make computer RPGs any more. We're the worst fans ever.
You know I would feel offended right now by your comment but nah I'm correct.

Nah you'll never stop me copper. Take that eye-roll and you'll enjoy it.:D

Anyway excessive use of that emoji gets you in trouble not just once.

Back
Top Bottom