Fave city trip Europe?

If you're interested in modern art, Tate Modern in London is great. If you go there, be sure to visit the Rothko room.
Will do. Thanks

I like London, in fact I'm going there next month. Looking forward to spend one whole day in the Science Museum.
MM, I might visit that one too, I just googled it and it seems very interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.
If you don't mind me asking: how long will you go? What other things are you planning to do?

And you can travel to London from Brussels using the Eurostar, but I suppose you knew that. At 300kmph. Under the channel. YAAAAY! (I also really like trains.)
Yeah, trains are great. I'd like the Hovercraft too but you need a car and driving in England sure ain't YAAAAY! to me. ;)

Budapest is a really interesting city if you want to go for something unique…. as for the swedish sightseeings if it is not something you are planning to do yet…. let us know when you are planning the trip to the nordics and we can give you lots of update reports.
I'll do that. Thanks.

If you for this trip decide on Germany, I'd say ( not for 7 days ) but Lübeck and Travemünde, are worth a visit IMHO, it has some really old and fascinating buildings there, and also a nice beach among other things. I enjoyed my visit there + the population is very friendly.
Thanks, I would never have thought of those two. Not something for a city trip, I think, but I'll keep it in mind when planning a 2 weeks holiday to northern part of Germany. Which is also on my to-do-list. :)
I always enjoy visiting Germany, the Germans are so polite, so friendly and helpful.

A place I have been wanting to visit but I didn't take the step yet is Austria, in summer and winter,, there is supposed to be some really beautiful castles in the nature up in the alps, and in Vienna you have a loot of culture. Can't give too many tips about that though since I didn't do it yet.
Me neither, I've never been to Austria. I'd like to. Don't care much for snow (like skating though). I had hoped someone here would have visited Vienna, since I'm interested in visiting the place sooner or later.

Try Berlin. Full of history, full of museums, art, etc. … You'd need a month for visiting everything there … ;)
Do you by any chance have any specific suggestions?

In Cologne, imho only the Cathedral ("Kölner Dom") and the roman remains re interesting … The famous Dionysos Mosaic of the "Römisch-Germanisches Museum", for example.
And the churches, of course ! I know few other towns of this size with a similar high number of churches !
Cosy center. I liked it, walked on the Rhein quay. Gamescom there too, isn't it? I've seen the cathedral, from the outside. If I remember correctly it's wrapped up in lights when it's dark and all the pigeons become spooky creatures, or am I mistaken? :) I should visit the place more often, it is not that far away.
Could you give me the names of some restaurants worthwhile mentioning, with reasonable prices?

Or from another mountain near the same city. Have to walk to get to the top of this one, no cart or anything. Takes about an hour:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Lyderhorn_view_towards_west.jpg

Like I said, it's everywhere you go. In fact, I actually live to the left in that last picture there (I can see my house from the top of that mountain).

That is beautiful! Are Norwegians nice people? I've been told, I'm sorry, they're not very fond of foreigners, is that true?

Another thing that at least some dutch people appreciate - those who have migrated -here is polpulation density, or lack thereof.

While the Netherlands boast a hearty 400 people/square km, population density in Norway is 12.5. At 20, Sweden, isn't exactly crowded either. Admittedly you have to go outside the city centres, but as Maylander shows, not very far.
O, serene stillness, ah, poetic peace and quiet! :) I hate it when I take a walk in the local forest* here I'm running into people every 30 minutes or so, on some days it's every 10 minutes! (*you'll probably call it a park because it's not big.)
I once spoke with an American, he told me in America you could walk for days and not meet anyone! Days! Ha! you'll be in and out our biggest forest in one day!

Let's say, if you come to Lisboa, I'll pay you a drink. :)

Haha! And what exactly, besides your delightful company, has Lisboa to offer? :) I must admit I don't know anything about Lisbao. The only thing I know about Portugal is when visiting: go to the the northern part (less tourists).

All cities look the same, what's so special about them anyway?

Em, do you happen to live in the USA by any chance?

The only exciting city is Las Vegas. That's something special and a worthwhile trip.
Gosh, I think it's as appealing as a local gambling house: nil. But I could well be misinformed. So please, enlighten me, what's so exciting about Las Vegas?

Only if it isn't foggy/cloudy. I was there in August and from my experience Bergen is mostly gray. :raincloud: And then there are the trolls… :uhoh:

Trolls, trolls! Tell me about the trolls! Ooh, the very thought of them makes me clap my hands and jump in the air! Did you meet them? What did they say? Did you get a picture? An autograph? ;)

Last edited:
Only if it isn't foggy/cloudy. I was there in August and from my experience Bergen is mostly gray. :raincloud: And then there are the trolls… :uhoh:
Haha. Bergen is notorious for rainy weather. Much better down south. Well, not really. The only time Norway is worth visiting is during the summer months of june and july. Especially along the southern coast. The remaining months are as depressing as Finland. Oh btw, our forests are also brimming with ticks just dying to make your acquaintance.

That is beautiful! Are Norwegians nice people? I've been told, I'm sorry, they're not very fond of foreigners, is that true?
It depends on your skin color, or if you're German.

If you don't mind me asking: how long will you go? What other things are you planning to do?
I'll spend 3 days in London before going to Edinburgh to visit my youngest daughter (My main excuse for going abroad).

One day for the Science museum and maybe Natural History Museum which is nearby.

One day for art: Tate Modern, and The Courtauld Gallery, a small museum with a tremendous collection of impressionist painting.

One day for other things. Time will tell.
Yeah, trains are great. I'd like the Hovercraft too but you need a car and driving in England sure ain't YAAAAY! to me. ;)

After leaving Edinburgh I'll spend some time training around Europe, before going back to Norway. Don't know where - I'll go where the TGV's, the Thalyses, the German ICE's will take me. The benefit of Interrrail for grown-ups.

Trolls, trolls! Tell me about the trolls! Ooh, the very thought of them makes me clap my hands and jump in the air! Did you meet them? What did they say? Did you get a picture? An autograph? ;)

Of course I have pictures. They didn't talk much; I think they were waiting for unwary visitors to get a bit closer...

OK, drat, I can't find my pictures right now but here's a photo from someone else of one of them that almost lured me into his grasp:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/data70/5224035009/

He had more colorful clothing on when I was there, this must be an older picture.

Actually I prefer this drawing by the Norwegian artist Theodor Kittelsen (from Wikipedia):

Theodor_Kittelsen_-_Skogtroll%2C_1906_%28Forest_Troll%29.jpg

And this (which for some reason won't show):

Trollet_som_grunner_p%C3%A5_hvor_gammelt_det_er.jpg

But you can go here in order to see more of his troll drawings.

Last edited:
The remaining months are as depressing as Finland.
Hahaha! Tango Finlandia with lyrics to reaffirm a couples instinctive sense of hopelessness. And all those faces! I love you! ;) Now I want to go to Finland as well! Best season, gloomy winter time?

Oh btw, our forests are also brimming with ticks just dying to make your acquaintance.
Mix with ticks, get rid of your shyness! ;)

It depends on your skin color, or if you're German.
Sad. I guess that may be the same in The Netherlands, if you'd seen our last national elections… and now we have a minority government that depends on support of right wing extremists. Out in the countryside, where there are few minorities, Wilders got a lot of votes. :(

Last edited:
One day for art: Tate Modern, and The Courtauld Gallery, a small museum with a tremendous collection of impressionist painting.

Ooooheee! A must see! Love it, love it, love it. Thank you so much pibbur!

After leaving Edinburgh I'll spend some time training around Europe, before going back to Norway. Don't know where - I'll go where the TGV's, the Thalyses, the German ICE's will take me. The benefit of Interrrail for grown-ups.
O, lucky you. Any space left in your suitcase? (I'm small, you wouldn't notice that I'm there)
Edinburgh, I think I would like Edinburgh… I like whiskey, I love the skirts, I adore their language, I'm not too fond of rainy weather, mm, I hate bagpipes… :)

OK, drat, I can't find my pictures right now but here's a photo from someone else of one of them that almost lured me into his grasp:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/data70/5224035009/

He had more colorful clothing on when I was there, this must be an older picture.

He's naked! He's completely naked. And he has no genitals! How do they multiply? O wait, it says, 'minus his climbing stick'… Trolls use their penis as a climbing stick…:wideeyed:

Actually I prefer this drawing by the Norwegian artist Theodor Kittelsen (from Wikipedia):

Theodor_Kittelsen_-_Skogtroll%2C_1906_%28Forest_Troll%29.jpg

That *and* a climbing stick penis... horror. Keep the pictures, keep the audiotapes, keep the autographs. O, and I'll go to Finland, instead of Norway. ;)

He's naked! He's completely naked. And he has no genitals! How do they multiply? O wait, it says, 'minus his climbing stick'… Trolls use their penis as a climbing stick…:wideeyed:

Actually he is wearing pants with suspenders. They were bright green when I was there but are a sickly yellow in the above photo.

But if you are into naked trolls, well, hey! I am sure there are a few about somewhere in Norway.

I love Austria. Have never actually made it to Vienna because I'm not fond of large cities, but Salzburgh is beautiful with tons of day trips available to some incredible countryside. Think Sound of Music- I've visited most of the locations from that film!! :)

Back
Top Bottom