Fave city trip Europe?

Income level are still a bit higher than cost level. But you have to take the costs into account when comparing wages between countries.

Another reason for higher costs is that there are relatively small differences in wages between most people. If the employee at the grocery store don't earn that much less than you, what they sell will become more expensive than if the gap was larger. At least that's what I think. And in general I think that is a good thing.

EDIT: BTW, I hope none of you feels that I'm bragging about how rich we are.. I probably can afford a few things better than a lot of you, but if so, the most significant reason for this is that both my daughters have moved out, earning their own money. That does reduce cost considerably. Children are and will remain a loosing-money-project, but less so now we've got rid of them.

Maybe if superfluous money meant something to me, I might consider being affected by the bragging I know you're not doing :)

Might I suggest a bicycle vacation in Denmark during the summer? The county is flat as a pancake so no hill climbing will be involved. :)

More than 800 years of rich history, our historical monuments specially those related with Manueline style, the old part of the city with it's charming narrow streets (so the tourists say), the art museums, etc.
Ok, perhaps 2 weeks, in combination with Sevilla. I'm easily convinced. :) Anyway, Lisbao: noted! I'll check it out with Google.

I could also speak about the light, how different it is from any other city in the world,
That's intriguing! Painters, in the old days, spoke with nothing but praise about the Dutch light. It had probably something to do with the water. But many polders have been drained since then, so nowadays, experts say, the light is different because there's less water in the landscape.
Does your light have anything to do with the water next to Lisbao?

or about the women unless of course you're married or are looking for another "gender".
Lovely women? Sir, I do not like any serious competit… O, forget it, I'm sure all men will only look at me. ;)

Who cares about the present anyway ? People only care about the past or their future !!!
When it comes to love, I do care for the present. :)

I woudl certainly recommend going to Rome especially if you're a fan on Roman civ. Rome also has quite a lot of Renaissance era stuff, not just Classical era stuff. Several villa's of the rich aristocracy feature hundreds of paintings and beautiful surroundings with fountains and stuff.
You got me convinced I'll add Rome to my list… Now if only I knew which to pick as this years winner. My goal was to get a smaller list, not a bigger one. :)

I'm suggesting things nearby if you would not fly.
Yes, you're very kind. And very helpful. Thank you very much, Pladio, for all the tips and suggestions. Much appreciated.

I prefer train or car myself (I got myself a fear of flying over the years) and would not mind spending a few days getting to my destination, I'd really enjoy the ride, but it's more expensive of course and hey, I'm not the only one deciding; when it'll take a day by car, my guy wants to fly.

Circus Motel or hotel have rooms that aren't too expensive, but are very comfortable
O, I like the apartments! In fact, I prefer apartments. It's nice *not* to have to go to a restaurant every now and then.
Thanks, Pladio! ATM I'm inclining to Berlin.

Also, if you're don't mind flying then Edinburgh and Glasgow are very nice.
Hm, I've heard about the charm of Edinburgh before, Glasgow is new to me… But I'd do a normal holiday exploring Scotland, I think. So 2 or 3 weeks. Beautiful country.

Also, are you looking for romantic stuff ? Spa ? I don't know anything about those kinds of things in Antwerp, since I didn't do any romantic stuff then, but I can help you with these things if you're visiting the UK
Well, I'll be in London this year, so shoot. :)

The Lion King is probably better with kids, but I went with my girlfriend and she had never been to a musical before and found it magical. I was happy I had planned that :)
I'm getting the impression she's a lucky girl to have such a caring man like you. Good on ya!

I would also recommend going to Salieri for dinner before or after as it has wonderful decorations, food isn't the best ever, but just the decoration is worth seeing I think :)
I saw some pictures after googling, it certainly looks weird. Salieri. Noted.

In London there's also just having a picnic in one of the big parks like Hyde Park. I've never done it, but apparently it's a nice thing to do with your guy if it's nice weather.
Definitely a nice idea, but I'm planning to go there late fall, early winter.

Good food is the "La Cigale D'argent!" (The Silver Swan). They used be be quite cheap too, but have been raising their prices lately, so now it's like any higher end restaurant.
Antwerp has lots of stuff to visit and I could get someone to show you diamonds maybe, especially if you are interested in buying and they are not too busy. You can get your man to buy something for you.
Hahaha. Waste of money. :) Really, I've never understood the attraction of a glistening stone. If I'd ever get one, I do hope it's worth something so I can sell it and spend the money on a nice holiday. :)

If you like chocolates then there's tons of good ones, from cheap factory made stuff, to hand-made chocolates and pralines I could recommend.
Mmmm, now there's an Attraction with a capital A! I wonder, how much hand-made chocolates could one buy for one tiny diamond? ;)

Thanks for mentioning all the places to go to, Pladio, I really appreciate it and have written everything down. I'll google for the exact addresses and will take the list with me next time I visit Antwerp. When the weather improves a bit it'll be nice to spend again a Saturday/Sunday afternoon and evening there.

Also, why do you hide your accent ?
O, I was told by Dutch friends living in Antwerp the residents don't like the Dutch, which is quite understandable seeing Antwerp being flooded by the Dutch on a regular basis.

Other places to eat would depend on your preferred food tastes ? Also budget-wise actually ?
Depending on who I'm with I go to places like Quick/McDonald's to the above-mentioned Cigale D'argent… So, that would help…
As for food, there's little I dislike, and I'm always willing, enjoying, to try something new.
O, one dislike: I hate McDonalds. I don't like their bread, their French fries, their mayonaise, their chairs, the tables, the entourage. Sorry. I'd much rather go to a 'frietkot'. Vlaamse frieten! :)

Budget-wise… on average €15-€35 main course? Of course, I'd like the price to be more towards €15 than €35, but in some cities you have to delve deep in your purse and pockets to get a nice meal. Often, not always, quality and price go hand in hand, since I like quality…
I prefer biological, organic food but there are not many restaurants that serve it. Pity, but it won't stop me from dining out. I won't eat foie gras though.
O, and I do not like my meat or fish to have black edges. I'll cut them away and if it's heavily burned I'll send it back and won't pay for it. I'm astonished so many people see themselves as walking dustbins.

LV (…)There's theatre, shows, concerts, mostly nightlife stuff basically. Even with kids you can go and spend your money as there are lots of activities there for kids.
If you're not into gambling then I wouldn't recommend flying the 10 hours or so just to go to LV, but you're flying to the US and making a trip, I would certainly say you should go and see it for a few evenings. It's very different than other places… Not in the old cultural/European way ( where every European city actually IS different )
I'm not into gambling. I think if I'd go to the USA it would be for the (diverse)
landscape(s) - beautiful, vast! But you'll never catch me flying that long, matters of life and death excluded.

Also, lately we've had an increase in "closet racists" - they're not actually open about it, and they call it "protecting Norwegian culture from immigrants" or some rubbish, but in truth there's no doubt about the fact that it's racism through and through. This doesn't really affect tourists a whole lot though, as it's aimed mostly at arabic/african immigrants.
Yes, I know what you mean. Our racists used to be closet racists too BTW, they are now open about it, thanks to first Pim Fortuyn and now Wilders who both showed no restraint in their speeches.
The followers are just parrotting, first Fortuyn and after he was killed and Wilders had started his movement (the PVV is not a democratic party because Wilders is the only member) they're now echoing Wilders' words. "He says what I think". "O, really. Tell me, what does Wilders say?" "Well, he says a lot about immigrants, about islam, good things, like, it's too much, there are too many." "How many immigrants do you know?" "Well, I… I don't know that many, but I've heard from others/seen on tele that … it's a problem, you know? They get everything for free and we get nothing, we have to work hard."
Sometimes they actually *do* know someone (whose (grand)parents came originally) from Turkey or Morocco, but "hey, that's a nice guy, we know him well, he's our bus driver/owner of the kebab restaurant/computer shop, he's the exception." They are the rule.

From what I know, his party (PVV) gets about 15% of the votes in the Netherlands. In Norway, they'd be getting 20-25% of the votes.
Oh, how sad.
We have elections next week, Provincial States (administration at Provincial level) the members who are chosen, will in their turn choose the members of the Senate (Upper Chamber). Wilders is not at ease, because a large part of his supporters is usually only interested in elections for the Lower House.
So the entire right wing coalition is not at ease, and are doing everything they can campaign wise, they fear they won't get a majority in the Senate and that after the elections the left wing + some center parties will be able to block every law they want in the Senate.
There's a lot at stake, lot to lose/win, who knows what the percentage will be after the second of March in my country… I hope it will be lower, polls are promising.

Anyway, while it's certainly a frustrating situation, it doesn't affect tourism at all. If anyone you know of was poorly treated in Norway, they most likely travelled to Oslo, hehe.
What's wrong with Oslo?

Last edited:
In any case, the whiners are usually the same people that would follow Geert Wilders.
They believe in easy solutions and like to blame someone, others (because blaming others is easy), others who are different, who are not them, they blame those others when things are not the way they want it to be.

Last edited:
I said almost :p and even if you take GPD / PPP which takes into account the cost of things norway is still almost on the top aside from the no tax paradise for rich people places, such as Luxembourg, Singapore.
These figures were published yesterday. No figures about Norway of course but it surprised me a bit, maybe you'll think it's interesting too.
Regional GDP per inhabitant, expressed in terms of purchasing power standards (takes into account differences in national price levels.)

Might I suggest a bicycle vacation in Denmark during the summer? The county is flat as a pancake so no hill climbing will be involved. :)

Yes, you may suggest it! :) Great idea, hishadow, one objection, this year I had set my mind on two city trips (2 x 1 week), so visiting museums, artsy things and cultural places. Bicycling IN a museum might be fun but I don't think the Danish will be as unusual as the Finnish, so they'll probably pull me from my bike.

I'm well aware that with all this talk about possible destinations it's easy to lose track and get depressed. Keep up the spirit. Thanks for thinking along, I love pancakes. And I still love you. ;) (You *are* Finnish, aren't you?)

That's intriguing! Painters, in the old days, spoke with nothing but praise about the Dutch light. It had probably something to do with the water. But many polders have been drained since then, so nowadays, experts say, the light is different because there's less water in the landscape.
Does your light have anything to do with the water next to Lisbao?
You know I can't tell why. It's something that people notice and tell. Water was always the first thing that come to my head. Another reason might be the sidewalks, which are quite unique, quite Portuguese, that might add something to the effect. I really don't know, but you feel it.
I was trying to search on google about the light of Lisboa, and found a wonderful well written testimony about that. look at the photos of the sidewalks.
http://abhadawesar.blogspot.com/2007/03/light-light-lisbon.html

O, I like the apartments! In fact, I prefer apartments. It's nice *not* to have to go to a restaurant every now and then.
Thanks, Pladio! ATM I'm inclining to Berlin.

If I liked cooking then I'd be with you on that one :)

Hm, I've heard about the charm of Edinburgh before, Glasgow is new to me… But I'd do a normal holiday exploring Scotland, I think. So 2 or 3 weeks. Beautiful country.

Glasgow isn't so much the charm, but it is a nice city. Small enough to walk around for a bit more than a day. Big enough so that there is stuff to do. I went to a spa there for a day too though.

Well, I'll be in London this year, so shoot. :)

Well, for good romantic breaks, I would suggest going to an out of city spa resort for a weekend. There's a few of them and they are a bit expensive. I haven't actually gone yet, but was planning to these holidays. Maybe this summer.

Also, when I said UK, it's not really London, since I lived in Nottingham. I can more easily recommend things in or around Nottingham and since you like the train so much, it's only two hours train ride from London. If you catch the Eurostar to London St Pancras then take a train to Nottingham.

There's a few hotels again and depending on budget I could recommend a few. None of them are spectacular unfortunately... Well, not the ones in the city centre, which I would recommend doing if you are just staying for a day or two.

In Nottingham you can go to a few museums and depending on your interests, there's several things to see like a Lace Museum, Prison Museum (quite interesting I thought, but it's not called the Prison Museum, I forgot what it's called, but I could find out). Then, on the old market square they always have something happening. For example, last summer they made the square into a beach and sea for families. And during winter they usually have a world foods fair.

There's a very nice restaurant which also has live music once in a while about 15 mins outside the city centre called Home Restaurant. It's very cheap for what you get. The food is good and I went there three times. Twice with just my gf and I and the food, including wine cost less than £50 for both of us.

There's also a few other places in the city centre I could recommend, which offer good food.

I don't know London that well, but I think the theatres and musicals are the main attractions for people who do not like clubbing or bars. Then during the day there's several museums, as specified before.

Hahaha. Waste of money. :) Really, I've never understood the attraction of a glistening stone. If I'd ever get one, I do hope it's worth something so I can sell it and spend the money on a nice holiday. :)

Does your guy know that ?

Mmmm, now there's an Attraction with a capital A! I wonder, how much hand-made chocolates could one buy for one tiny diamond? ;)

Depends not only on the size, but on the cut, clarity and whatever... some diamonds are worth less than €20, so you wouldn't get many chocolates. :D

Thanks for mentioning all the places to go to, Pladio, I really appreciate it and have written everything down. I'll google for the exact addresses and will take the list with me next time I visit Antwerp. When the weather improves a bit it'll be nice to spend again a Saturday/Sunday afternoon and evening there.

Leonidas is the cheaper one for the hand-made stuff and is a chain so it can be found in a lot of places. If you don't like some of the weird tastes they have in some of the pralines, they also sell bags of pralines with just a chocolate filling, which are my favourite.

Del Rey on the other hand is very expensive and is basically what my parents buy for people when they go visit them abroad. This one is not a chain and only exists in one or two places. One of them is close to the Keyserlei in the city centre.

O, I was told by Dutch friends living in Antwerp the residents don't like the Dutch, which is quite understandable seeing Antwerp being flooded by the Dutch on a regular basis.

I don't think it's that much of a problem. Well, it wouldn't be for me.

As for food, there's little I dislike, and I'm always willing, enjoying, to try something new.
O, one dislike: I hate McDonalds. I don't like their bread, their French fries, their mayonaise, their chairs, the tables, the entourage. Sorry. I'd much rather go to a 'frietkot'. Vlaamse frieten! :)

Yeah, I like both, but I try not to go to often otherwise I would be 200kgs by now, with my chocolate eating habits too.

Budget-wise… on average €15-€35 main course? Of course, I'd like the price to be more towards €15 than €35, but in some cities you have to delve deep in your purse and pockets to get a nice meal. Often, not always, quality and price go hand in hand, since I like quality…
I prefer biological, organic food but there are not many restaurants that serve it. Pity, but it won't stop me from dining out. I won't eat foie gras though.
O, and I do not like my meat or fish to have black edges. I'll cut them away and if it's heavily burned I'll send it back and won't pay for it. I'm astonished so many people see themselves as walking dustbins.

I'm not into organic food, so I can't help with that. La Cigale is on the higher end of your budget, cheaper places where the food is still good are the restaurant Roma and House Ho Chan in town. They would be on the lower end of the spectrum. Roma is Italian and Ho Chan is Chinese as you might have guessed.

Well, if you just eat a pizza or pasta it would even be below your budget minimum for the main dish, but meat is more expensive.

Regional GDP per inhabitant, expressed in terms of purchasing power standards (takes into account differences in national price levels.)

Only 2 things to surprise me on that list Praha (CZ) and Bratislavský Kraj (SK), these two I was surprised by.

But I would assume it is a case of most of the rich people moving to one place, in an otherwise not so rich country.

As for inner London being on top... that is certainly not surprising, albeit a bit stupid... inner london? so we take out all the poor suburbs and such a things, and take the richest people in one of the biggest financial cities in the world? o what a surprise it got on top :D

To have Bruxelles-Cap. up there is also very expected given how much those EU people are paid.... soon it will be on top I would suspect.

Though I bet this list would be really different if it was made with data from 2010. I am sure Stockholm and the german cities would move up.

Back
Top Bottom