Gaming BS of the week

Because of games mainstream media. When was the last time they crucified an obvious scamware? Some crown those as goty, man! And then, an innocent victim, buys the "goty" believing it's one of the best games out there. Not realizing noscam products do exist.
Not to mention some mainstream media actually defend scams. For example those schmucks at Polygon:
https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/5/17822966/overwatch-loot-boxes-skins-events
Want Overwatch to get rid of loot boxes? It might get more expensive
Now that article is some serious bullshit. The problem? That site audience doesn't see it!

EDIT:
But of course JS noticed that article too, lol.

It's not RPG, thankfully. But here's hope we won't see this kind of bullshit in RPGs:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/devil-may-cry-5/devil-may-cry-5-live-action-cutscene-dlc
Devil May Cry 5 is selling its live action cutscenes as DLC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden joystick follows either mayan, chinese or alien calendar where it's end of the year. If you follow the same calendar, make sure to vote for your picks among 16 possible awards:
https://www.pcgamer.com/voting-is-n...n-joystick-awards-all-voters-get-free-e-book/
I'm pretty sure you can't wait to see your best game getting #1 spot in:
Esports Game of the Year
Best VR Game
Mobile Game of the Year
Nintendo Game of the Year
PlayStation Game of the Year
Xbox Game of the Year

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/21/twitch-blocked-in-china/
The Twitch website, as well as the Twitch iOS app are no longer accessible in China.
-
Twitch now joins YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google and other major websites that are all banned in the country.
You might say, hey that's good news, not bs!
Sadly it's not as the reason for censorship seems to be people following esports tournaments through it and what's spoken on those tournaments cannot be censored by the chinese government.
Sure, it might turn out good as it'll cure chinese minority who passively watch and not play singleplayers, but still. Banning entertainment before lootboxes is - bs.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/red-dead-redemption-2/red-dead-redemption-2-horse-testicles
Yes, Red Dead 2’s brings a more detailed simulation of horse genitalia than I’m frankly comfortable with, and after everyone giggled about dick physics in that first trailer some of the people invited to a recent preview event decided to ask the burning question.

Specifically, Stephen Totilo writes “After seeing the game’s first trailer, we and other had wondered if the horse’s testicles were animated. I asked, and they [Rockstar] told me that the testicles shrink and expand depending on the temperature in the game world. Details, details.”

That’s not the only horse-related detail mentioned in Kotaku’s preview, of course. There’s also poop – along with various breeds, and the ability to build a bond with your steed over time and teach it skills like skidding stops and dressage-style side steps. Presumably, none of that bonding involves testicles, but this is a Rockstar game.

The kotaku article it refers to: https://kotaku.com/two-hours-with-the-amazingly-detailed-red-dead-redempti-1829187487
You may note on screenshots there while testicles were of highest priority, the hair as usual looks horrible.
2K Games = lootbox scams and PC hatred. Nuff said?

1. That's a new low for Capcom selling live action cut-scenes as DLC
2. Don't care about horse testicles you perverts
3. It's China so nothing new. They are a police state and what every US citizen fears from big government. Not kidding a lot of shady illegal things happening in China.
4. Loot boxes again. It's a topic that never ends.

Last edited:
The Escapist, Politics, and How Games Journalists Ruined Games Journalism

Many games journalists hold the same exact perspectives. They share the same political and social views almost to a tee, and it paints their outlook on virtually everything else, causing a backlash among major portions of their audiences, audiences increasingly demanding apolitical, uncritical coverage to compensate. But such a reaction is equally extreme. Instead of blowing everything up, we should demand a fairer, more balanced approach to coverage, articles and podcasts and videos that elevate different voices, instead of demonizing them and shoving them to the margins. I have no interest in silencing the current crop of games writers. I just want to hear something different, too. God forbid.

And I thought the day was over:
https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/20/...ruptor-beams-mobile-game-star-trek-timelines/
Game developer Disruptor Beam announced today that it has teamed up with publisher Tilting Point to bring its mobile game Star Trek: Timelines to more audiences. Under the deal, Tilting Point will spend $29 million to promote Star Trek: Timelines, and the two companies will co-develop another role-playing game based on an existing intellectual property.
If you don't know what it is (if you don't play it), ST Timelines is a phonegame.
As every other cloned phonegame it has:
- lootboxes
- pay2win leaderboards
- daily "reward" to force persuade a player to return
- timers that can be fast forwarded with real $
- doomsday mechanics in form of events and "unique" offers that will expire and never return my arse
- roulette that is rigged worse than would actual dabo wheel be
- no cap on spending $ on gambling

And now look at this:
“Time and again, Disruptor Beam has proven they can transform cherished entertainment properties into truly top-notch character collection RPGs,” said Kevin Segalla, CEO of Tilting Point, in a statement
This scamming travesty is NOT and will never be RPG.
One of these days I'll register on their official forum and ask if their scamware falsely advertised as RPG is legal in Belgium.

Speaking of false advertising, Timelines is also available on Steam and you may spot another thing there that'll make you sick:
STUNNING GRAPHICS

And now this scam is getting a promotion worth 29 million. The most exciting year to live in, right?

29 million what ?
It says in the linked article to promote a mobile game.

Game developer Disruptor Beam announced today that it has teamed up with publisher Tilting Point to bring its mobile game Star Trek: Timelines to more audiences. Under the deal, Tilting Point will spend $29 million to promote Star Trek: Timelines, and the two companies will co-develop another role-playing game based on an existing intellectual property.

Star Trek: Timelines is a free-to-play game that came out for iOS and Android in early 2016. It features characters and ships from across all Star Trek shows and eras. Players can spend real money to randomly unlock crew members and ships.Game developer Disruptor Beam announced today that it has teamed up with publisher Tilting Point to bring its mobile game Star Trek: Timelines to more audiences. Under the deal, Tilting Point will spend $29 million to promote Star Trek: Timelines, and the two companies will co-develop another role-playing game based on an existing intellectual property.

Star Trek: Timelines is a free-to-play game that came out for iOS and Android in early 2016. It features characters and ships from across all Star Trek shows and eras. Players can spend real money to randomly unlock crew members and ships.
Seems this game was released back in 2016.

Probably US currency so $29 million.:)

Double BS! :D
https://www.pcgamer.com/devil-may-cry-5-will-have-microtransactions/
Devil May Cry 5 will have upgrade microtransactions

Obviously that's one bs. What's the second? The content of the PCgamer article:
This isn't the first time a Devil May Cry game has had the option to pay for upgrades with cash. The special edition of Devil May Cry 4 released in 2015 added them as well, with options to pay for red orbs, blue orbs, and proud souls as DLC.
The difference there is that microtransactions were added to a game that had already been balanced to play without them, and was by most accounts pretty generous with its rewards. Devil May Cry 5 will have microtransactions baked in from the start, which will make it harder to give it the benefit of the doubt if it ever starts to feel stingy with those orbs.
Stop finding excuses for scamware! Don't brainwash people into buying something just because it'll probably be your pathetic site goty as that other scamridden game a few years back.

This is how an article about scams should have looked like:

Or this:

Capcom's Crap Excuse for Adding Microtransactions in Devil May Cry 5

PCGamer and inventing idiocy, again:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is still a great immersive sim
No. It was and still is a great RPG/stealth hybrid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step down from the throne Polygon, another site went SJW hysteria with even bigger bs:
Valkyria Chronicles 4’s sexual harassment problem is unacceptable in 2018

Raz is the stereotypical bad boy. While watching the conversation between Riley and Claude unfold, Kai notes that they sense a void between the two characters. Raz responds by saying that it must be Kai’s “women’s intuition” kicking in. Kai snipes back, reminding Raz that, in the army, people see them as a man. Raz then stands up, walks behind Kai, and grabs their butt. “No guy’s got an ass this tight.”

This scene sets the tone for the rest of Valkyria Chronicles 4’s campaign. Although the game has a diverse cast of male and female characters with unique personalities, the women on either side of the war are degraded, sexually harassed, and mistreated.
Only started the game, but it immediately suggests Raz and Kai are "friends with benefits". Women mistreated? Actually the main hero is mistreated - who's male. But does it matter? It's fiction characters, not RL for god's sakes.
Upon arriving at the base for the first time, the men stare at a female navy officer while stating their desire to “swab her deck”. The response to this is a resigned sigh. There’s no comment on the fact these sexual advances may be unwanted.
What bloody men? It's only Raz who says that. Yes, Raz, again. The same Raz has dirty mouth when it comes to anything, but it doesn't mean Kai, supposedly "harassed" by him, didn't pass the chance to photo his butt when he felt from the tank.
Etc etc, I'm not here to defend game design choices, just pointing at VG247's article full of bullshit. F… Khm… Shame on you.
Next title there I bet "Yakuza 0 sexual harassment in not acceptable, someone in it grabs a female tit". I don't know why am still visiting that stupid site.

It's not about a game really, but it could (and most probably would) apply if it was.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tar-trek-the-next-generation-to-self-destruct
Stage-9 was a two-year-old fan project that let users explore a virtual recreation of the Enterprise-D, the spaceship made famous by The Next Generation tv show.
The hugely-detailed virtual recreation was built using the Unreal game engine, and was available on PC as well as virtual reality headsets Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. You can freely roam the ship, travel to the various decks, enter rooms, interact with objects and even fire a phaser.

on 12th September, the cease and desist letter from CBS' lawyers arrived. The decision was made to put all of the Stage-9 public-facing channels into lockdown while the team tried to convince CBS to change its mind. They suggested tweaking the project to ditch the inclusion of VR, ditch the use of the Enterprise-D specifically and even change the name, but CBS insisted Stage-9 end.
And so now, it has.

There's some understandable anger directed at CBS in there, too. CBS and Paramount have issued guidelines for fans making Star Trek fan films, insisting "CBS and Paramount Pictures will not object to, or take legal action against, Star Trek fan productions that are non-professional and amateur", as long as they meet the guidelines.
It seems for Stage-9, the rules were a little different.
I'd actually understand this move if CBS offered their (superior? yea, right) version of the same thing. But the reason is this doesn't bring them money and is making that phone scamware I mentioned a few days back whih crappy graphics and lootboxes (Star Trek: Timelines) looking bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valve's bs case of misleading and misinforming:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1712946892833213377
Since 2015, over 30 million players have registered at least one controller and over 15 million of those players have registered more than one. Between accounts with multiple controllers and controllers that have been registered to multiple accounts, we find that a total of 60 million device-account pairs have been connected to Steam.
Where's breakdown how many gamers since 2015 registered at least one mouse and keyboard?
Should I ask Riot how many registered accounts in League of Legends (from over 80 million) which is not available on Steam, how many registered controller? Yea, none. But that answer would also be plain misinforming. Statistics is an awsome thing, when it's not in hands of amateurs and shills.

Last edited:
Epic's another bs, after trying to force people into giving them privacy data 4free (authentication scandal):
https://www.pcgamer.com/fortnites-b...rassing-and-unintended-mistake-will-be-fixed/
Fortnite's boob physics are an 'embarrassing and unintended' mistake, will be fixed
By fixed they mean - disabled.
See… Epic thinks it's highly disturbing when games feature nonplastic boobs that aren't static but move, jiggle and dance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Couch posted in another thread but I forgot to copypaste here, Microsoft themselves was working against gaming on PC - raytracing support in Windows' directX just wasn't happening. Because of course XBone can't do raytracing. No stuff crap hardware can't pull through, PC shouldn't get either, right?
Seems M$ realized it's plain bs and are supposed to add RTX support in the October update:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/windows-ray-tracing-update-october-9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I've already posted it, but… Doesn't hurt to have a reminder.
It's still september here, but in some countries some gaming sites are celebrating new year. And are, as it's new year, awarding games with goty "plaque", because a year passed an no new title will appear in their year.
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-10-nominees-for-pc-game-of-the-year-at-the-golden-joystick-awards-2018/

I just read about "breast physics" in Fortenight ... What's this about ?

Their main audience is kids, I think they don't want any controversy over something so inconsequential.

Well, SWTOR doesn't even have real lekku physics. In elevators one can quite clearly see that the Twi'lek lekku are implemented - and therefore treated by the engine - like some form of light cloth.

Not sure if it belongs here as it is neither BS (it is Bloody Serious) and it is quite old, but it is very relevant to me: the score weighing of metacritic. I was trying to find the actual weights assigned to each critic but only could find information from 2013:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189448/Metacritics_weighting_system_revealed.php
(hint: rpgwatch is not in there)

I was also looking in getting to know the variance of the review scores, or better yet the full distribution, so I could have an idea of how generally liked a game is (only to a few, or by everyone). Didnt found it, yet.

I always take metacritic with some grains of salt, meaning, I don't believe that number to 100 %.

Back
Top Bottom